Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher milage 997's aging well mechanically?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015 | 12:20 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

I have a 2006 C2S with 103K miles now. 40K of those miles are from me. I've had to do nothing but routine and preventative maintenance, just as you would for any other car or truck.
Old 10-09-2015 | 01:57 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ATSR
Good luck finding your 997.2!

Question: since you are looking for a manual, why would you want Sport Chrono? AFAIK, the only real benefit of having it is the launch control function when combined with the PDK
Sport Chrono is still nice in a manual, by turning on sport mode it enhances throttle response and lightens up the PSM a bit from my understanding. I don't always have it in sport mode, its nice to have the option.

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
I have a 2006 C2S with 103K miles now. 40K of those miles are from me. I've had to do nothing but routine and preventative maintenance, just as you would for any other car or truck.
Thanks for the update, its always good to keep hearing from the higher mileage guys!
Old 10-09-2015 | 02:18 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
09 997.2 C2 with PDK. There were a few fuel pump failures early on due to defective parts, so Porsche elected to replace the ones on the rest of the impacted models. Mine was working fine, but they replaced it anyway.
Oh, OK. Thank you. Mine is an 11 S...T
Old 10-09-2015 | 05:28 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blu311
Sport Chrono is still nice in a manual, by turning on sport mode it enhances throttle response and lightens up the PSM a bit from my understanding. I don't always have it in sport mode, its nice to have the option.

Yes. Sport mode is really nice for those two reasons (PSM lets you play more, and the throttle response is spicier).

As for reliability: I've got "only" 45k miles on my 9A1, and it's been good so far (knock wood). I have a friend who's got a similar car (2009 C2S manual) with nearly 90k miles, many on track. There is a cadre of us that all have 997.2 C2Ses at the track and all have been surprisingly reliable considering the conditions.
Old 10-10-2015 | 02:36 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blu311
Philster and Wayne, great posts!

Philster, you have turbo wheels on your car so doesn't that give you AWD? lol
Really?! WTF! I want my money back.

Old 10-10-2015 | 08:26 PM
gelat0
Advanced

29k miles on my 2007 c4s and no problems.. Car has been fantastic!
Old 10-10-2015 | 08:31 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Just hit 58k miles today and runs great
Old 10-10-2015 | 09:43 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

My 09 is closing in on 75k with about 18k of them on track with no issues other than cats (replaced under warranty) and RMS at 73k.
Old 10-13-2015 | 08:11 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

About to hit 120k miles on my 997.1 C2S. Driven hard daily, tracked regularly. Water pump, starter and alternator cable are only issues I have had with the car. I switched to Mobil 5-50 a while back and have been very pleased. Going to Chuck Walla on Nov. 7th/8th if anyone in Socal wants to join. Not my track of choice but have some Ferrari friends going with a few challenge cars. Should be fun.
Old 04-26-2017 | 12:54 AM
wem
AutoX

141k on a 06 C2S cab. It was my commuter car that drove 50 miles each way on the twisties going over the mountain everyday and now it does infrequent errands like beach runs, groceries, hardware store, etc. Every trip "to town" is 10 miles each way and involves going highway speed.

When it was clocking 500+ miles a week I had almost no maintenance beyond regularly scheduled stuff like fluids, belt, plugs, coils, tires, alignment, etc. The tires did wear out way faster than I wanted them to but the car ran great and seemed invincible.

In the last 30k of shorter, less frequent errand running it's stranded me twice and I've had to replace:
-the starter
-battery
-water pump
-alternator/starter cable
-AOS
-water cooler tank

Every time I go into the engine I find at least two plastic parts that need to be replaced. The latest one was a crack in the oil filler tube and a hose connector from the AOS that crumbled when touched. Before that, it was two formed hoses going into the AOS. Disconnecting formed plastic hoses scares me to death now. For what it's worth, I do find that the little pieces are way cheaper at my dealer than at PP.

Currently I need to fix:
-hot starting issue (alt cable did not fix this, I'm waiting on a power distributor bolt, and I hope it fixes it) *this one sucks
-some (assumed) associated electric gremlins
-a leaking washer fluid tank
-an airbag fault
-broken cup holder
-broken frunk switch
-the clutch is starting to slip

I don't mind the regular maintenance, but I hate the stuff like the hot start issue that I can't fix and unexpected plastic failures that turn a half day job into no car for a week as I wait for parts.

My takeaway is that you have to drive it a lot to keep it healthy. I don't know if any of this is normal for 140k 997.1 C2S cab, but it's my experience. YMMV.
Old 04-26-2017 | 04:31 AM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by wem
My takeaway is that you have to drive it a lot to keep it healthy. I don't know if any of this is normal for 140k 997.1 C2S cab, but it's my experience. YMMV.
My 06 C2S had a lot of track miles when I bought it with 113k miles. Now at 137k miles, my parts replaced experience has mostly matched yours. Replaced the water pump/coils/plugs/belt/brakes at 114k miles when I bought the car. Starter was replaced and fixed my hot start issue.

In addition to your list, I had to replace the B16s at about 125k miles (that really hurt the wallet). The alternator was replaced and a new clutch was put in when the tranny was pulled for an IMS seal leak. Then the fill tube cracked. Oh and I replaced the PCM at around 134k miles.

The car hasn't left me stranded - knock wood.
Old 04-26-2017 | 10:04 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Almost to 95K miles now on my 2010 C4S. 60K of that is mine over the last 2.5 years. I've had the standard maintenance costs and one "failure" to date ... after many many many miles of chip seal in Idaho (later I removed a cubic foot of stone from the undercarriage) I suffered a rip in the left front axle outer boot. I see a relationship!!! Cost of ownership not including gas, insurance, and registration? $8397 / 60K miles = 13 cents a mile.

Note ... Maintenance included above ... plugs twice (well ... once, with second set bought and waiting for installation), PDK service, oil every 5K, brake flush, new front brakes with rotors, air and cabin filters twice, tires multiple times, serpentine belt, etc. DIY helps.

I'm happy 8)
Old 04-26-2017 | 12:07 PM
Para82
Race Car

I think you're paying too much attention to the lawyers money grab (IMS maybe) - 05 997S launch edition here with over 94,000 miles driven over the last 8 years. Drives stronger today than when I picked it up. Standard maintenance items addressed mostly between 70k-90k miles (AOS/RMS/Waterpump) etc.
Old 04-26-2017 | 12:09 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by motopix
My 06 C2S had a lot of track miles when I bought it with 113k miles. Now at 137k miles, my parts replaced experience has mostly matched yours. Replaced the water pump/coils/plugs/belt/brakes at 114k miles when I bought the car. Starter was replaced and fixed my hot start issue.

In addition to your list, I had to replace the B16s at about 125k miles (that really hurt the wallet). The alternator was replaced and a new clutch was put in when the tranny was pulled for an IMS seal leak. Then the fill tube cracked. Oh and I replaced the PCM at around 134k miles.

The car hasn't left me stranded - knock wood.
Sorry what are the B16's?
Old 04-26-2017 | 12:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by wem
141k on a 06 C2S cab. It was my commuter car that drove 50 miles each way on the twisties going over the mountain everyday and now it does infrequent errands like beach runs, groceries, hardware store, etc. Every trip "to town" is 10 miles each way and involves going highway speed.

When it was clocking 500+ miles a week I had almost no maintenance beyond regularly scheduled stuff like fluids, belt, plugs, coils, tires, alignment, etc. The tires did wear out way faster than I wanted them to but the car ran great and seemed invincible.

In the last 30k of shorter, less frequent errand running it's stranded me twice and I've had to replace:
-the starter
-battery
-water pump
-alternator/starter cable
-AOS
-water cooler tank

Every time I go into the engine I find at least two plastic parts that need to be replaced. The latest one was a crack in the oil filler tube and a hose connector from the AOS that crumbled when touched. Before that, it was two formed hoses going into the AOS. Disconnecting formed plastic hoses scares me to death now. For what it's worth, I do find that the little pieces are way cheaper at my dealer than at PP.

Currently I need to fix:
-hot starting issue (alt cable did not fix this, I'm waiting on a power distributor bolt, and I hope it fixes it) *this one sucks
-some (assumed) associated electric gremlins
-a leaking washer fluid tank
-an airbag fault
-broken cup holder
-broken frunk switch
-the clutch is starting to slip

I don't mind the regular maintenance, but I hate the stuff like the hot start issue that I can't fix and unexpected plastic failures that turn a half day job into no car for a week as I wait for parts.

Interesting notes, and fantastic to hear 140k miles and still going strong - anyone ever see a Ferrari do that? I haven't.

Quick Reply: Higher milage 997's aging well mechanically?