Sponsored by:

997.1 Factory Aerokit Yet/Nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Guess wheels are add on parts as well? But I hear you, this topic could go on for days...

wingless or wing I think both can be pure, classic, and neither makes one more or less "porsche" then the other.
yes, and to be clear. I wasn't the one that ever said a wing makes the car a "poseur", I was just stating my preference and was jumping on the comment with regards to not being able to afford it.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:11 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

While we're throwing our hats into the ring with opwingions, I'll tap in.

If I were to build a stable of 997 NA cars from base 997 to 997 monster 4.0 it would look like this:

Base 997 Carrera: no wing
997 Carrera S: no wing or ducktail
997 Carrera GTS: Aerokit wing
997 GT3: MKII GT3 wing
997 GT3RS: MKII GT3RS wing
997 GT3RS 4.0: Cup wing

Convertible or targa? No wing whatsoever.

I think that is a nice steady progression of wings that match the performance of the car. Something cool to think about regarding wings... Porsche themselves brought back the ducktail as options for the base 991 cars when (presumably) they saw the aftermarket respond to the lack of a factory ducktail for the 997 (they would not sell you the OEM SC ducktail until recently). I do remember reading here that some of those aftermarket guys received cease and desist letters from PCNA for those ducktails but I have no sources to back that up.

Last edited by nwGTS; 07-06-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
yes, and to be clear. I wasn't the one that ever said a wing makes the car a "poseur", I was just stating my preference and was jumping on the comment with regards to not being able to afford it.
yes sir I know, noted...

again my affordable comment by no means a blanket statement... but found holds true for some that seem to want to justify what they have and what they don't.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:59 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Love when people try and convince themselves and others of the "classic lines" is the way to go and keep their car base... that any exterior modification will send you into some lower class of owner or poser.... meh....Just a heads up, Porsche offers the aero as a factory option so IMO quite classic but for the owner that wants (and can afford)a bit more...... aero, handling/performance, asthetics, style and just flat out better looks.

Aero looks fantastic and functional.... If its in your mod budget (or maybe you have no mod budget) go for it OP and don't look back. Takes a bit of a boring sleepy looking 997 and wakes it up..... Just do front and back so car looks balanced. If you do aome sort of aero in the rear then need something up front and vise versa.

MaddMike you must love car below this? so pure ? yeah not for me but 1000% appreciate if that was what ones budget could afford. When I compare a car like the below (base looking seal grey 997) to an Aero car there is simply NO comparison...none. (and same with an S, although S looks much better then a none S mainly due to wheel size IMO but an S aero compared to an S none aero I would take the aero any and every day)

I think many people try and convince themselves that what they have is the best even when its the base available for many reasons (that is a much longer explanation needed).......happens with cars, homes, cities and towns people live in and more. Recall a conversation I had with a guy years back and him telling me how he lives in an apartment and would never own a house, such a hassle, property taxes, and so forth and how he doesn't really like the neighborhoods around us etc... I mean renting offers so much more flexibility with your money and on and on. Well turns out I do a lot of banking at same bank and heard the guy hasn't been able to quality for a home loan after trying 3 times for a house in my neighborhood. Then it made sense why he loves his apartment so much

Wow, angry much? I'm the guy that was considering a turbo kit so I'm definitely not a purist. I just don't like that wing--way too big and looks like it belongs on a Subaru STI (which also comes from the factory with a wing).

We all have different tastes and my taste goes for the clean rear end. All comments were made tongue in cheek to a point.

For me (notice the disclaimer) GT3 needs a wing. Base or S doesn't. But that is just my opinion.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:23 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

No not mad....... Just disagree is all. Not sure being compared to a Poser or a Subi STI tribute car is all that complimentary though if running an Aero package as I have but different strokes for different folks. Just cruising in base car like yours would feel like I was in a leased car (usually look stock/base) or swimming in a bucket of plain oatmeal is all. (joke)

A 997.1gt3 isn't much faster then an 997.1S and on the track the same just a bit faster then an aero S car in anything less then a pure race car drivers hands . But gt3 needs the wing? Confused...

lets just agree to disagree... I will drive my Subi STI Imposter around town

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Wow, angry much? I'm the guy that was considering a turbo kit so I'm definitely not a purist. I just don't like that wing--way too big and looks like it belongs on a Subaru STI (which also comes from the factory with a wing).

We all have different tastes and my taste goes for the clean rear end. All comments were made tongue in cheek to a point.

For me (notice the disclaimer) GT3 needs a wing. Base or S doesn't. But that is just my opinion.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-29-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
We all have different tastes and my taste goes for the clean rear end.
Yup me too....can't stand it when they are dirty.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 911
My car came with the factory aerokit. I wasn't sure about the wing when I purchased it but it's really grown on me.

Got to admit that is one of the best looking 911s I've seen. The red wheels look great with the black... And call me crazy but I'm a fan of the full aero.

Ed
1987 Carrera (factory wing and spoiler - 1987 Aero?)
2012 C4GTS (sans aero for now)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm going back to a 997 and will put the aero kit on it as soon as I get it.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 AM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Loving my new (to me) aerokit but the front lip is a real pain. Almost afraid to drive the car 'cause it drags everywhere. Using the door edge trim which helps but, man, gotta find a better solution. Maybe a splitter that isn't as low or one that is black and flexible? Heard that the GT3 splitter is a direct replacement but not sure that will be any better. Ideas?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:19 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeNoah
Loving my new (to me) aerokit but the front lip is a real pain. Almost afraid to drive the car 'cause it drags everywhere. Using the door edge trim which helps but, man, gotta find a better solution. Maybe a splitter that isn't as low or one that is black and flexible? Heard that the GT3 splitter is a direct replacement but not sure that will be any better. Ideas?
Thats what I plan. Direct replacement. GT3 polyurathane and keep it black. No worries
Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Sooooo, I think I have a deal on a 997. Does anyone have any aerokit bits (front bumper or rear wing/decklid) for sale? Bonus points for Lapis Blue... I'm buyin'.
Send PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:58 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the full aero kit....looks great. Mine came without, but I'm adding the turbo bumper and spoiler.

Was this the 2006 S that was for sale at Performance Ford in Charlotte? Drove up to look at the car, but decided against it...did you look at the over-rev report? Walked in the end as those guys were crooks.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:18 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LeNoah
I took my painted Aerokit lip off at delivery in 2007 and replaced it with the GT3 black plastic/rubber/whatever-the-heck-material-it-is version.

That lip gets dinged and scratched by most driveways even on angled entry. It's sacrificial. I think of it like the curb-feelers on my Grandpa's 1962 Caddy. :-)

I use a piece of mid-grade sandpaper across the bottom every now and then to remove the road rash and hanging threads.

-Ez
Old 07-04-2016, 11:28 AM
JPBernoux
Track Day

Originally Posted by jeffm
I like the full aero kit....looks great. Mine came without, but I'm adding the turbo bumper and spoiler.

Was this the 2006 S that was for sale at Performance Ford in Charlotte? Drove up to look at the car, but decided against it...did you look at the over-rev report? Walked in the end as those guys were crooks.
Yes it was, Jeff and no I did not look at the over-rev report. I had a PPI performed by Eurowise, they concluded that the car had been well taken care of which was confirmed by my local Porsche guy. The Performance guys at Ford are just little crooks as any used car sales guys, trying to get as much money as they can from any buyer. I bought after they dropped the price by 2K about a week after I tested the car although they tried to get back their 2K through "fine prints" in the add. Did not work but they got me with outrageous ($700) administrative fees!
So far, three months later I am very happy with the car, just need to get rid of the Aerokit (currently for sale on market place).
Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 PM
imnotracerx
Advanced

The wing is the thing. It not only looks sweet but it helps keep things steady if you mistakenly lift your right foot before you apex. Not to mention it's period perfect design...much better than the taco.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Factory Aerokit Yet/Nay