Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Factory Aerokit Yet/Nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Love when people try and convince themselves and others of the "classic lines" is the way to go and keep their car base... that any exterior modification will send you into some lower class of owner or poser.... meh....Just a heads up, Porsche offers the aero as a factory option so IMO quite classic but for the owner that wants (and can afford)a bit more...... aero, handling/performance, asthetics, style and just flat out better looks.

Aero looks fantastic and functional.... If its in your mod budget (or maybe you have no mod budget) go for it OP and don't look back. Takes a bit of a boring sleepy looking 997 and wakes it up..... Just do front and back so car looks balanced. If you do aome sort of aero in the rear then need something up front and vise versa.

MaddMike you must love car below this? so pure ? yeah not for me but 1000% appreciate if that was what ones budget could afford. When I compare a car like the below (base looking seal grey 997) to an Aero car there is simply NO comparison...none. (and same with an S, although S looks much better then a none S mainly due to wheel size IMO but an S aero compared to an S none aero I would take the aero any and every day)

I think many people try and convince themselves that what they have is the best even when its the base available for many reasons (that is a much longer explanation needed).......happens with cars, homes, cities and towns people live in and more. Recall a conversation I had with a guy years back and him telling me how he lives in an apartment and would never own a house, such a hassle, property taxes, and so forth and how he doesn't really like the neighborhoods around us etc... I mean renting offers so much more flexibility with your money and on and on. Well turns out I do a lot of banking at same bank and heard the guy hasn't been able to quality for a home loan after trying 3 times for a house in my neighborhood. Then it made sense why he loves his apartment so much

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I must be madd but the OP did ask an opinion and that is mine.

For a Turbo or GT3 I think it is appropriate but for a lowly Carrera/S I think it is overkill for a car that has about the same hp. as a Subaru STI (and a wing to match). I like the Carrera as it has classic lines and I think the wing distracts from them.

Track car or high hp. monster, yes.
Base or S, no IMO. Too loud and dare I say poser-ish
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-28-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

not a fan of aerokit rear wing without the front. Buddies brother just got used early 996 (egg yokes) with rear wing no front and chrome factory wheels and not lowered. Makes me want to throw up.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

My car came with the factory aerokit. I wasn't sure about the wing when I purchased it but it's really grown on me.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:33 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Love when people try and convince themselves and others of the "classic lines" is the way to go and keep their car base... that any exterior modification will send you into some lower class of owner or poser.... meh....Just a heads up, Porsche offers the aero as a factory option so IMO quite classic but for the owner that wants (and can afford)a bit more...... aero, handling/performance, asthetics, style and just flat out better looks.

Aero looks fantastic and functional.... If its in your mod budget (or maybe you have no mod budget) go for it OP and don't look back. Takes a bit of a boring sleepy looking 997 and wakes it up..... Just do front and back so car looks balanced. If you do aome sort of aero in the rear then need something up front and vise versa.

MaddMike you must love car below this? so pure ? yeah not for me but 1000% appreciate if that was what ones budget could afford. When I compare a car like the below (base looking seal grey 997) to an Aero car there is simply NO comparison...none. (and same with an S, although S looks much better then a none S mainly due to wheel size IMO but an S aero compared to an S none aero I would take the aero any and every day)

I think many people try and convince themselves that what they have is the best even when its the base available for many reasons (that is a much longer explanation needed).......happens with cars, homes, cities and towns people live in and more. Recall a conversation I had with a guy years back and him telling me how he lives in an apartment and would never own a house, such a hassle, property taxes, and so forth and how he doesn't really like the neighborhoods around us etc... I mean renting offers so much more flexibility with your money and on and on. Well turns out I do a lot of banking at same bank and heard the guy hasn't been able to quality for a home loan after trying 3 times for a house in my neighborhood. Then it made sense why he loves his apartment so much
Sorry bro. I don't think the "you don't like it because you can't afford it" excuse works in this case. It isn't that big of an investment when looking at the total price of the car, and i still think that many 911 "purists" actually do prefer the look without the wing, why is this so hard to understand? It is so prevelant that porsche even acknowledges it and has finally done something about it even for guys that want the ultimate in modern 911 performance and looks. Ever hear if this car? Ya, it's only going to run you about $185k (it's more than a GT3 even though it lacks PDK and other goodies). This is the PERFECT look to me for a 911. Gt3 style front end and no wing.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:38 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Here's a few more beauties with no rear wing.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

I have never seen that car before. It needs a wing.
The 911R is an amazing build no doubt and perfect as is with no wing...

That said many of the higher end Porsches in the 911 variant are sold with wings.... Gt3, gt3rs, turbos, gt2, and factory aero on a 997 etc. For years Porsche has been releasing cars to the public with and without wings and that's all great. Both can look fantastic! My main point is that a wing and in this case a factory Aero on a porsche by no means destroys the classic lines of a Porsche. Is it different then a none wing car? of course but suggesting is ruins the cars looks and it makes it look like a subura wrx if your car has aero/wing and not 500hp is IMO a stupid comment. Wings may not be someone's taste, I get it but read again madmikes reply it's the same old classic purists rhetoric.

The money comment was just an analogy on how some owners with "a pure" (or base) car somehow feel the need to put down other P cars in how the owner has ruined their classic lined Porsche and now should feel as it they are driving a mitzubishi Evo Just found many that seem to March to this same philosophy are the ones that have a way of convincing themselves what they have is the best at all costs...truth be told if their budget was bigger would be driving a gt2 or a gt3 or a Turbo or maybe an aero car etc (all winged cars)

Maybe hard to explain in a post. I love that 911R and love many P cars with aero mods (done well) and love many P cars with no wings.

But to suggest a wing and in this case factory aero set up from porsche would turn your car into a poser of sorts just disagree with.

Hope that helps....

Originally Posted by rodH
Sorry bro. I don't think the "you don't like it because you can't afford it" excuse works in this case. It isn't that big of an investment when looking at the total price of the car, and i still think that many 911 "purists" actually do prefer the look without the wing, why is this so hard to understand? It is so prevelant that porsche even acknowledges it and has finally done something about it even for guys that want the ultimate in modern 911 performance and looks. Ever hear if this car? Ya, it's only going to run you about $185k (it's more than a GT3 even though it lacks PDK and other goodies). This is the PERFECT look to me for a 911. Gt3 style front end and no wing.

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-29-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Ever heard of Rum Bum racing - they basically run a GTS with Aero and are a championship winning race team-

To each there own....
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Now I wont get the aero kit because I believe it "wont age well - it hasn't already". I don't need to scrape everywhere (but I like rum bum just using GTS front and no aerokit)...
there is no denying it doesn't work...
Old 03-29-2016, 10:25 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I am not a fan of the aero kit rear wing and it has nothing to do with being able to afford it. I think you can respect other opinions.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I am not a fan of the aero kit rear wing and it has nothing to do with being able to afford it. I think you can respect other opinions.
Absolutely, especially the way you put it... not a fan, not your taste, prefer not, like the smooth look etc... all good no doubt.

Not sure if you read the whole thread and my reply was to these comments below...how a wing is being a Poser and some how ruins the classic lines put out by Porsche and now lets compare your car to a winged Subura if your 997 sports a wing etc...

I am less a fan of none aero cars (but still like them) but not going to tell a none aero car owner whom may start a thread his car is boring and cheap looking and looks like one can't afford a higher model 997 as a standard reply... did it here yes but as a reply in particular to one posting that wings are Poser-ish etc. To a wing bearing 997 like myself that is a bit of a back handed comment I guess.

I respect a base car on every level, but not an owner that jabs at the none base cars under the cloak of his opinion is all. So while we were just being honest shared my view back.. hope you can respect that.

"For a Turbo or GT3 I think it is appropriate but for a lowly Carrera/S I think it is overkill for a car that has about the same hp. as a Subaru STI (and a wing to match). I like the Carrera as it has classic lines and I think the wing distracts from them.

Track car or high hp. monster, yes.
Base or S, no IMO. Too loud and dare I say poser-ish"
Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lowly Carrera S is another insult.

180+ MPH top speed is lowly now.

Someone link this thread to the thread about punching Porsche owners in the face,.

A Carrera S can top out at 180+. A GT3 ups the ante to 190+, and it's those last 10 MPH that require the aero kit. Oooh! Maybe it's 13.8 MPH that the GT3 bests the S by. WHO CARES?

No... I do NOT need my wing. Even at a DE or track day, Carreras are fine sans wings. But FFS, to each his/her own... and leave it at that, lest you be subject to criticsim for ANY aesthetics. Paint your car flat black or dull grey, because you don't need shiny paint, contrasted stitching, shiny tailpipes, etc.

And wheels? Who needs good looking wheels? WASTE!

I don't know who posted what anymore, so don't get butthurt if you're in the clear.

And if you're shoving your disgusting self into a good looking car (good looking according to you), then being winged or wingless is the least of your concerns.

I think I'll be coming back here for tech advice from courteous people and eliminating this place as forum to be social/sociable.

Ciao.

Last edited by Philster; 03-29-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:13 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I agree with the rest of your post, but when the "you don't like it because you can't afford it" stuff came out, that Had me chuckle, because I am not even sure that works for the Honda civic crowd. If someone wants a wing, they will find a way to get one. It isn't that big of a cost. Believe me, I have been trying to talk myself out of spending another $2k+ for a front aerokit, but just can't deny how much I love that.

I grew up loving Porsches but I always hated any porsche that had a wing (Yep, including the turbo), cab, targa, or tiptronic. I still have a little bit of that in me, but I can appreciate the wings on the GT3 and gt2 for what they are functionally (although I have to admit, the 996.1 and 997.1 wings are very ugly in design in my opinion. Much prefer the 997.2 gt3 wing or even 996.2. Also not a fan of the 991.1 aerokit ducktail/wing combo that makes no sense to me as far as looks go.

I don't consider the wing a "high end vs low end" thing. I consider it a functional thing and the reason they do it on the faster cars is for downforce. I absolutely love the gt3 and the wings don't bug me on that car because it is part of its identity and necessary for the track performance. But now that porsche offers the R and if you put an R and a GT3 next to each other and asked me what I would rather have or what is more astherically pleasing to me? I'd go with the R in a heartbeat. But that's my personal opinion, and it has nothing to do with "high end" or being able to afford one vs the other. Call it lame, but I still look at the 911 like a piece of art. Not many cars I can say this about (Ferrari 360 or 430? Aston martins?) so some of us still like the way the car looks as it was drawn up by the artists and designers. Ironically, on the cars I also listed, you don't see many external wings on those as well, unless in race form. I am pretty sure a guy in a 430 could afford a wing if he so desired.

I have never seen that car before. It needs a wing.
The 911R is an amazing build no doubt and perfect as is with no wing...

That said many of the higher end Porsches in the 911 variant are sold with wings.... Gt3, gt3rs, turbos, gt2, and factory aero on a 997 etc. For years Porsche has been releasing cars to the public with and without wings and that's all great. Both can look fantastic! My main point is that a wing and in this case a factory Aero on a porsche by no means destroys the classic lines of a Porsche. Is it different then a none wing car? of course but suggesting is ruins the cars looks and it makes it look like a subura wrx if your car has aero/wing and not 500hp is IMO a stupid comment. Wings may not be someone's taste, I get it but read again madmikes reply it's the same old classic purists rhetoric.

The money comment was just an analogy on how some owners with "a pure" (or base) car somehow feel the need to put down other P cars in how the owner has ruined their classic lined Porsche and now should feel as it they are driving a mitzubishi Evo Just found many that seem to March to this same philosophy are the ones that have a way of convincing themselves what they have is the best at all costs...truth be told if their budget was bigger would be driving a gt2 or a gt3 or a Turbo or maybe an aero car etc (all winged cars)

Maybe hard to explain in a post. I love that 911R and love many P cars with aero mods (done well) and love many P cars with no wings.

But to suggest a wing and in this case factory aero set up from porsche would turn your car into a poser of sorts just disagree with.

Hope that helps....
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

yes see some of your point but not all... I was being a bit of an *** back to the post about a wing being Poser and Subura like etc.... some good points Sir and also truly love that wingless 911R! That said, my comparison on the $ thing not a blanket statement but think does apply to some...

Note - A f430 or the mentioned never historically came with wings in the past where a wing on a 911 is very classic. I mean air cooled 911s have been offered with wings for generations and same with the water cooled cars so not sure your analogy applies here. Comparing cars like a F 360 or a 430 or an AM (all cars that commonly did not roll off production floor with wings) is in the same realm as Porsche whom have as much of a reputation for their wings, whale tails, picnic bench aero over the years as anything else...

Wings and Porsche go along like peanut butter and jelly... sorry they just do. Adding a wing, or a wing bearing 911 variant just IMO does not make a Porsche less of a Porsche, a poser, or looks as after market as adding a wing on a F430 or AM.

You think a 993Gt2 with a wing is not art but a wingless Porsche is? Just trying to follow... just do not see how a wing (offered for yearssssss by Porsche) makes a Porsche more or less art, pure, a real Porsche or send anyone down the poser or "less of a Porsche path" is all....? and that was the main point of my comment(s)...

I agree with the rest of your post, but when the "you don't like it because you can't afford it" stuff came out, that Had me chuckle, because I am not even sure that works for the Honda civic crowd. If someone wants a wing, they will find a way to get one. It isn't that big of a cost. Believe me, I have been trying to talk myself out of spending another $2k+ for a front aerokit, but just can't deny how much I love that.

I grew up loving Porsches but I always hated any porsche that had a wing (Yep, including the turbo), cab, targa, or tiptronic. I still have a little bit of that in me, but I can appreciate the wings on the GT3 and gt2 for what they are functionally (although I have to admit, the 996.1 and 997.1 wings are very ugly in design in my opinion. Much prefer the 997.2 gt3 wing or even 996.2. Also not a fan of the 991.1 aerokit ducktail/wing combo that makes no sense to me as far as looks go.

I don't consider the wing a "high end vs low end" thing. I consider it a functional thing and the reason they do it on the faster cars is for downforce. I absolutely love the gt3 and the wings don't bug me on that car because it is part of its identity and necessary for the track performance. But now that porsche offers the R and if you put an R and a GT3 next to each other and asked me what I would rather have or what is more astherically pleasing to me? I'd go with the R in a heartbeat. But that's my personal opinion, and it has nothing to do with "high end" or being able to afford one vs the other. Call it lame, but I still look at the 911 like a piece of art. Not many cars I can say this about (Ferrari 360 or 430? Aston martins?) so some of us still like the way the car looks as it was drawn up by the artists and designers. Ironically, on the cars I also listed, you don't see many external wings on those as well, unless in race form. I am pretty sure a guy in a 430 could afford a wing if he so desired.

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-29-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:16 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Ya, I guess the 993 gt2 wing kind of works for that car as well, much like the other GT3 and GT2. I wasn't arguing that. Not sure where this is headed, but you can't deny that the wing on any 911 is an "add on" part. It may look better in various forms, but it is an add on, even if porsche is the one that does it at the factory.

yes see some of your point but not all... I was being a bit of an *** back to the post about a wing being Poser and Subura like etc.... some good points Sir and also truly love that wingless 911R! That said, my comparison on the $ thing not a blanket statement but think does apply to some...

Note - A f430 or the mentioned never historically came with wings in the past where a wing on a 911 is very classic. I mean air cooled 911s have been offered with wings for generations and same with the water cooled cars so not sure your analogy applies here. Comparing cars like a F 360 or a 430 or an AM (all cars that commonly did not roll off production floor with wings) is in the same realm as Porsche whom have as much of a reputation for their wings, whale tails, picnic bench aero over the years as anything else...

Wings and Porsche go along like peanut butter and jelly... sorry they just do. Adding a wing, or a wing bearing 911 variant just IMO does not make a Porsche less of a Porsche, a poser, or looks as after market as adding a wing on a F430 or AM.

You think a 993Gt2 with a wing is not art but a wingless Porsche is? Just trying to follow... just do not see how a wing (offered for yearssssss by Porsche) makes a Porsche more or less art, pure, a real Porsche or send anyone down the poser or "less of a Porsche path" is all....? and that was the main point of my comment(s)...
Old 03-29-2016, 12:20 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Ya, I guess the 993 gt2 wing kind of works for that car as well, much like the other GT3 and GT2. I wasn't arguing that. Not sure where this is headed, but you can't deny that the wing on any 911 is an "add on" part. It may look better in various forms, but it is an add on, even if porsche is the one that does it at the factory.
Guess wheels are add on parts as well? But I hear you, this topic could go on for days...

wingless or wing I think both can be pure, classic, and neither makes one more or less "porsche" then the other.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Factory Aerokit Yet/Nay