Sponsored by:

997.1 Factory Aerokit Yet/Nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:43 PM
JPBernoux
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to trade

I just bought a 2006 Carrera S and I should say "I almost did not buy this Carrera S" because of this ugly (IMHO) spoiler in the back. I always dreamed of driving a 911 and in my dreams the 911 has an unmistakable round back. Well, after driving the car a couple hundred miles I like it as is but I wonder if it is possible to trade this (factory installed) rear spoiler with the standard back hood, preferably in black. Anybody interested?

Last edited by JPBernoux; 03-25-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JPBernoux
I just bought a 2006 Carrera S and I should say "I almost did not buy this Carrera S" because of this ugly (IMHO) spoiler in the back. I always dreamed of driving a 911 and in my dreams the 911 has an unmistakable round back. Well, after driving the car a couple hundred miles I like it as is but I wonder if it is possible to trade this (factory installed) rear spoiler with the standard back hood, preferably in black. Anybody interested?
I have the standard decklid in black if you want to trade and $$$. It's flawless, was paint corrected mid 2015 and C Quartz ceramic coating applied, then removed six months later. PM me and let's chat.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:25 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I have '06, guards red with factory aerokit. Love the look of the car but it will scrape on the slightest of dips. First time is brutal, but ya get used to it. I now have the self adhesive door edge guard from Brandsport on the bottom edge. Color matches perfectly and I can change it out occasionally rather than repair/replace/repaint the lip every couple months.

Picture is my '08 S cab. Now sold.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPBernoux
Wonder if your 2006 Aerokit rear deck lid can be adapted/modified to fit my 2012 GTS?

I don't think there is a hole on the right hand side of your deck lid for the GTS's dual air intake box.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EdwardB
Wonder if your 2006 Aerokit rear deck lid can be adapted/modified to fit my 2012 GTS?

I don't think there is a hole on the right hand side of your deck lid for the GTS's dual air intake box.
I saw pictures of JPB's wing and it's in good condition.
This wing would fit a GTS with a few cuts. I helped someone do this. I have a GTS and an aerokit wing myself. His wing would need a trim of the left hole and a new hole cut on the right side. Then you would fit the two snorkels in these holes to feed the GTS airbox. You can either buy new snorkels at about $90-$100 each or repurpose your GTS snorkels.

To locate the cuts, remove your snorkels from your decklid and tape them to the airbox where they would normally seal with a closed decklid. Then lightly add chalk powder to the extended ends of the snorkels. Assuming you've installed the aerokit wing already slowly close the decklid until it hits the snorkels. Raise it and mark the chalked areas. It makes it easier to lower and the chalk to transfer if you remove the bumpstops and the latch from the decklid.

The cuts need to be precise to fit the snorkels which just snap in with locking tabs if you want to do it correctly to look 'factory'. So I'd recommend a pro with a steady hand a good router do it. Do not let someone near it with a grinding/cutting disc. Since you only need to cut material and not add it there is no repainting necessary which is a nice benefit. Just seal the cut edges and polish around the area and you're good to go.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:51 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 843 Posts

I'm honestly not a fan. I think it takes away from the clean lines of the vehicle.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:17 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I have no affinity for the aero-kit but my son (13 years old) loves it.

When I began searching for my car a while ago, I passed on all cars with automatics and cars with aero-kit. But I am sure many people likes it, so if you are going to convert your car, and when in time to sell it, you should remove the kit and sell it separately. This way, you'll have a wider audience for your sale, and recoup a bit of your aero kit investment. Just keep your original parts.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I'm honestly not a fan. I think it takes away from the clean lines of the vehicle.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:15 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I saw pictures of JPB's wing and it's in good condition.
This wing would fit a GTS with a few cuts. I helped someone do this. I have a GTS and an aerokit wing myself. His wing would need a trim of the left hole and a new hole cut on the right side. Then you would fit the two snorkels in these holes to feed the GTS airbox. You can either buy new snorkels at about $90-$100 each or repurpose your GTS snorkels.

To locate the cuts, remove your snorkels from your decklid and tape them to the airbox where they would normally seal with a closed decklid. Then lightly add chalk powder to the extended ends of the snorkels. Assuming you've installed the aerokit wing already slowly close the decklid until it hits the snorkels. Raise it and mark the chalked areas. It makes it easier to lower and the chalk to transfer if you remove the bumpstops and the latch from the decklid.

The cuts need to be precise to fit the snorkels which just snap in with locking tabs if you want to do it correctly to look 'factory'. So I'd recommend a pro with a steady hand a good router do it. Do not let someone near it with a grinding/cutting disc. Since you only need to cut material and not add it there is no repainting necessary which is a nice benefit. Just seal the cut edges and polish around the area and you're good to go.
Yeah I just looked at my engine lid and compared it to JPBs pics above and you are right.it could be made to fit but only with significant rework.

Think i will keep looking for a GTS aerokit deck lid or I might have to spring for a new kit from Suncoast at some point.

To anyone who doesn't like the look of their Aerokit wing on their GTS feel free to pm me.

Ed
1987 Carrera
2012 C4GTS
Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally didn't like the aerokit rear wing but it grew on me over time. Now I have one -- love it!!
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
JPBernoux
Track Day

[QUOTE=LeNoah;13144250]Originally didn't like the aerokit rear wing but it grew on me over time. Now I have one -- love it!!
/QUOTE]

Good for you and I admit that under the angle of the picture the wing is almost inconspicuous... I guess I need to get used to stick to the same angle when approaching my car
Old 03-27-2016, 02:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
You must be mad Mike!

But seriously, I can appreciate the varied opinions... and wingless is as good as any. But I am a wing man myself. I was going to go with an Aerokit too, but I made the mistake of asking my family's opinion and they were all in favor of the Turbo wing option... which I'm happy with. But I learned not to ask my family's opinion again.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:45 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
You must be mad Mike!

But seriously, I can appreciate the varied opinions... and wingless is as good as any. But I am a wing man myself. I was going to go with an Aerokit too, but I made the mistake of asking my family's opinion and they were all in favor of the Turbo wing option... which I'm happy with. But I learned not to ask my family's opinion again.
Originally Posted by nwGTS

I must be madd but the OP did ask an opinion and that is mine.

For a Turbo or GT3 I think it is appropriate but for a lowly Carrera/S I think it is overkill for a car that has about the same hp. as a Subaru STI (and a wing to match). I like the Carrera as it has classic lines and I think the wing distracts from them.

Track car or high hp. monster, yes.
Base or S, no IMO. Too loud and dare I say poser-ish
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM
JPBernoux
Track Day

For you guys supporting the wing, thank you!
For you guys who hate the wing, buzz off, you are ruining my attempt to get these clean lines you and I love so much with my Carrera S!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO i think the front bumper looks great and its good priced but the rear wing is too expensive and way to big.
I bought the front lip and the rear "wing" from GT3tek and im happy with my purchase.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Factory Aerokit Yet/Nay