Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard firm ride due to tires? Briggstone??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015 | 12:28 PM
storch
Instructor

Default Hard firm ride due to tires? Briggstone??

My 2009 997.2S rides very firm compared to my now sold 1999 996

Both have 19" wheels and the same size tires
996 has Hankook V12 tires
997.2S has what I think are the original tires Briggstone Potenza RE050A

I am running 36lbs on the tpm dash reading.

The tires feel like rocks slapping every road imperfection, not sure if its the stiffer S suspension or tires or both, I don't have the firm ride shock button set, it makes it much firmer yet.

Thoughts ?
Old 10-01-2015 | 12:44 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good questions... I have a 2009 C2S and came from a 2000 Boxster S

This is going to be all opinion... sorry no hard facts.

I find my C2S ride too hard yet too spongy in PASM normal. The smacking the wheels do is not good. When I put it in firm, the wheels still smack but the ride is more what I think a sports car should be... more like my Boxster S..... but that is just me.

So, given this, I blame the suspension, PASM, that tries to be all things and coupled with 19" wheels which I always believed to be just too large and low profile. I have driven the 2009 base 18" without PASM and while the ride is harder (more sports car like), it is not as smacky.... I liked it more than the S ride.

Having said all of this, what are you to do? I would go with Michelins. While I have not tried the Bridgestones on my 2009, I have had Continentals and I experienced the same smacking with them. I do think the Micheline PSS ride to be superior than the Contis. By the way, my winter Michelin Alpins have a much nicer ride, but they are softer winter tires.

Overall, I have been a bit disappointed with my 2009 C2S ride... I blame the marketing department who are trying to expand the market by using PASM, softening the springs, and using the shocks with their programming to control the ride.

Again, just my opinion. The only thing more subjective than oil is suspensions.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-01-2015 | 01:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

36PSI all-around is way off the mark. 911s need a PSI differential between front and rear. With equal pressures, that high in the front, you must have severe understeer. I would start changing to 33/37PSI (set at 68F).

How old are the tires? If they are the original RE050As that came with the car those tires are very old and hard and need to be replaced. New rubber will immediately be more compliant. Excellent rubber these days would be Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but the RE050A N1 are very good tires too (when not hardened by age). But even new tires need 33/37PSI pressure. that pressure is for up to 2 people and light luggage.

Originally Posted by storch
My 2009 997.2S rides very firm compared to my now sold 1999 996

Both have 19" wheels and the same size tires
996 has Hankook V12 tires
997.2S has what I think are the original tires Briggstone Potenza RE050A

I am running 36lbs on the tpm dash reading.

The tires feel like rocks slapping every road imperfection, not sure if its the stiffer S suspension or tires or both, I don't have the firm ride shock button set, it makes it much firmer yet.

Thoughts ?
Old 10-01-2015 | 01:59 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I still think many complaints are psychological. You have a newer car. It's more cherished.

It rides a touch firmer than the old car, but you're not objective enough yet. You feel like it's taking a beating. Eventually, as the structure stays tight over time (not perfect, but tight... solid), you forget that you were, at first, feeling like you were pounding the hell out of your newer 997 with it's steel and granite shock absorbers looking to shake the whole chassis and structure apart.

The only solution? About 2000-3000 miles of driving. It'll all feel... comfy at the end.

Get on it.

Quick Reply: Hard firm ride due to tires? Briggstone??