Sponsored by:

Easy CPO Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
jrthe1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy CPO Question

I have just started my 2 year CPO warranty. Do I have to have routine maintenance like oil changes etc. going forward done at the dealer? My service book is up to date with all service noted. Can an indy enter a scheduled maintenance performed in the book? Will a receipt from and indy for scheduled maintenance satisfy Porsche that the service was performed?

Thanks. Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's not written in the CPO warranty under the paragraph about owner responsibility that maintenance has to be done at a dealer, then they can't deny coverage based on you having it done at an indie. Definitely keep the receipts and make sure they have the date and mileage on them (sometimes shops can forget to enter it).

That said, when I was under CPO I did have the dealer do the services, but only because they gave me a free loaner on-site, which was less hassle than having to arrange for Enterprise to bring me a rental to the indie.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

most will honor indy service if its all documented, i would ask them if they will refuse your warrantee beforehand and get their attitude
Old 09-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Dealer can't use indie service as the reason to decline a warranty item as long as the service was routine, he did the job right and he used Porsche or OEM parts. OTOH, a dealer will often use any excuse it can think of to deny warranty service so document any indie services thoroughly and always be prepared for a fight.

This is just my opinion here, but I made the decision to not do any service myself until after the CPO expired. I have had all service done at the Porsche dealer so far. I feel the added expense on routine maintenance was worth the potential expense and trouble if I had a serious warranty issue (which I have not) and I figured that if I did, and it ever came down to a decision to cover something or not based on Porsche's goodwill, having the service done at the dealer might tip the balance.

Luckily, I never fell into that situation.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:26 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my oil (every 3k miles) in between the scheduled oil change with dealership while it was under cpo.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a CPO car and do all my own services (oil, brake fluid, filters etc).. I have had several minor CPO repairs and the dealers never even asked. Of coarse none of the repairs were involving the services I ve done.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:04 PM
gthompson999
7th Gear

I have a CPO car and had my 40k and 60k service performed at my Indy (with additional oil changes in between). I just had ~4K worth of work done at the dealer under CPO (tie rods, new clutch slave cylinder, 6 new coil packs, new blower motor, etc.) with no questions asked. They also suggested having the clutch replaced since Porsche were paying for the labor to drop the transmission so I did that (and only paid for the parts).

I also worried that because I didn't use the dealer for all of my work that they might try to get out of the repairs. Kudos to them for covering all of these items. I am sure it could be different depending on the dealer.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act protects the consumer here. It is illegal for a manufacturer (or dealer) to require maintenance be performed by the dealer. It is also completely permissible to use aftermarket parts for maintenance. Furthermore, if you have a warranty claim, the only maintenance that can come into question must be specifically related to the part that has failed. For example, if you have never changed your oil and you have a failure with your brake system, the lack of oil changes is irrelevant and most dealers would not even ask. Depending on the brake problem, they would probably ask for records of your brake fluid changes. However, even if you failed to perform your brake fluid changes, the brake system problem would have to be related to brake fluid in order for them to deny your warranty claim.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 AM
jrthe1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the varied response. Hmmm. What to do. I'm going to call my local stealer and get their feeling on this. Leaning toward my indy for oil changes and when minor maintenance is necessary.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

jrthe1- What are you getting done? Feel free to ask your dealer for better pricing, or closer to your indy. All they can say is no. I often have my car, (porsche, acura, STi, X5, Suburban) up on the hoist. It has a surprise issue? Like brake pads and rotors. I ask for five minutes. Make a few calls for pricing, call back with your info. $429 for brembo brake pads for my STi? Parts only. What? Put it on the ground! Found some Stop tech's for 89.
Have some facts, present them, negotiate what you think is fair. Often a dealer can have a special service tool that can save hours of indy time. An oil change? It should not be 5oo dollars. 10 liters at max $10 each is 100 dollars, plus 30 minutes of shop time. $200???
Know you time, and your parts.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:47 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by gthompson999
I have a CPO car and had my 40k and 60k service performed at my Indy (with additional oil changes in between). I just had ~4K worth of work done at the dealer under CPO (tie rods, new clutch slave cylinder, 6 new coil packs, new blower motor, etc.) with no questions asked. They also suggested having the clutch replaced since Porsche were paying for the labor to drop the transmission so I did that (and only paid for the parts).

I also worried that because I didn't use the dealer for all of my work that they might try to get out of the repairs. Kudos to them for covering all of these items. I am sure it could be different depending on the dealer.
Really? That's great. My dealer is telling me that tie rods are not under CPO warranty and that I have to pay for them. Is there any way I can touch base with you? You driving a 997?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 PM
gthompson999
7th Gear

@awrryan - sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Easy CPO Question