Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the best ride? 997.1 or 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015 | 11:41 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I've driven numerous .2's with serious intentions of moving from the .1.

I think it can't be just a matter of the DFI engine, I think the cabin of the .2 must be insulated a lot better, because not only engine noise but road noise is much less also, and there seem to be far fewer bangs, creaks and rattles in the .2's even with more miles than my .1.

The PCM in the .2 can have factory Bluetooth, but it only works for phone calls, not music streaming. For that you have to cord your phone into it. Compared to my $100 Tranzit Blu, the .2's "updated" electronics are a not an incentive.

If you want an automatic, the .2 is the way to go, because most people say PDK is somehow better than tiptronic. I guess they mean when you pretend it's a manual and flop the paddles. I've driven both in auto mode and didn't see much difference. Then again, driving a Porsche without a gearshift and clutch pedal is not something I care to do.

If you want a stick, then be aware that the .2 has Hill Holder (don't know what they call it, that's the name Hudson gave it back around 1950 when they invented it) and you can't turn it off. I suppose it has reason with a 991 where there is just a button to instantly disengage the e-brake, but in the 997.2 I find myself cursing it.

Cosmetically it's a matter of taste. I think the taillight shape of the .1 blends better with the rear lines of the car than the droopy-teardrop ones of the .2 but it's really not a big deal.

The biggest plus for the .2 has to be the engine, free of the IMS and a few other potential fail points of the M96/7. That'd be the only reason I would buy only a .2 if I were going to upgrade from my '05.

But I'd really rather go to a 991 when they depreciate to an attractive price point. That is if I can find a base C2 in a color I like, with a manual.
The 997.2 has a center muffler and the 997.1 does not. That is the biggest contributor to the noise difference. Absolutely no changes to the interior / cabin muffling or sound insulation.

The PCM in the .2 is actually extremely easy to connect an iphone into. You can view the tracks and change them from the PCM control system. I think I bought a connector for the iphone on Amazon for maybe $12 to get it hooked up in 2 mins.

Other key change for .2 vs. 1 (besides the engine and pretty significant HP bump) is that the .2 suspension has revised geometry. In fact, it may be one of the most noticeable differences I saw in back-to-back testing of the cars and makes the .2 handle more precisely than the .1 (the front doesn't float as much).

Really posted to correct the idea there is some sort of cabin insulation effect going on. The .2 stock exhaust is way too muted for my taste and that requires an aftermarket fix imho (even the PSE is insufficient thanks to the center muffler).
Old 09-09-2015 | 02:46 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Exactly how do you know authoritatively there isn't more or better sound insulation in the .2 cabin? Because every .2 I've driven had less road/tire and wind noise. I've been driving 40 years I can tell those apart from exhaust sound.

And I never said it wasn't easy to connect an iPhone to the .2 PCM to stream music or GPS. All it takes is a wire. Which is one wire more than it takes me to connect up my iPhone to the $100 aftermarket Tranzit-Blu in my '05. Our Merc is the same way, bluetooth works for phone and streaming (even though it also has wired connectors in the glove box).
Old 09-09-2015 | 03:05 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Exactly how do you know authoritatively there isn't more or better sound insulation in the .2 cabin? Because every .2 I've driven had less road/tire and wind noise. I've been driving 40 years I can tell those apart from exhaust sound.

And I never said it wasn't easy to connect an iPhone to the .2 PCM to stream music or GPS. All it takes is a wire. Which is one wire more than it takes me to connect up my iPhone to the $100 aftermarket Tranzit-Blu in my '05. Our Merc is the same way, bluetooth works for phone and streaming (even though it also has wired connectors in the glove box).
Because I have not seen one iota of evidence to suggest they put more sound deadening material. There have been posts /threads in the past on this topic and no evidence of insulation.

As I pointed out, suspension is different / updated for the 997.2. You could notice some of the difference due to suspension. You can notice it also due to the tires (typically the biggest difference). Between the more likely factors: suspension, exhaust, tires, vs. adding a lot more sound deadening... which do you think is more likely and worthy of discussion in the comparison?

It seems odd to introduce something that noone knows to be the case, as one of the differences. I've seen this mistake made frequently on here with bad information when someone is guessing.

I can say, with certainty the center muffler vs. no center muffler is a big, material difference and the suspension is a big material difference.

Just trying to avoid people reading posts and getting misinformed.

You could very well be correct, but there are other factors we know are different... not sure why introducing the notion there must be a bunch more sound deadening material in the .2 cars is helpful when it is pure speculation based on trying cars that are years apart, have different tires on them, different tire mileage, likely different road surface types and conditions, etc.
Old 09-09-2015 | 04:40 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Old 09-09-2015 | 06:48 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Because I have not seen one iota of evidence to suggest they put more sound deadening material.
Maybe not more material, that would require making more room for it, which would entail some radical and costly redesigning. Perhaps just a different/newer, more effective sound deadening material. Or maybe the insulation on mine has deteriorated from age and heat, like the interior paint and the foam they used in the A/C vent system.

I drove .2's with approximately the same mileage as my '05, over the same roads on the same day. You make a good point about the tires, except the tires I use on my car are AS and quieter-riding than the high-performance summer tires they replaced, and which were on the .2's I drove.

The side mirrors are also different (larger) on the .2, and not being an expert in the matter I couldn't swear that doesn't make a difference in wind noise.

I don't disagree that the DFI engine, exhaust system and suspension are the biggest factors in the different sound level between the models.

Quick Reply: Which is the best ride? 997.1 or 997.2?