Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Targa 4 or CR-V this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:25 PM
patriot993
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Do I Targa 4 or CR-V this winter?

Interested in opinions....

I need to get a new set of tires for my Honda CR-V. I am thinking of buying snow tires and essentially using the Honda as dedicated winter driver. But last winter I had a BMW 530 with snow tires and even with rear wheel drive, did fine, even driving unplowed rural roads where the snow dragged the under carriage.

With 4 wheel drive, the Targa would be even more capable than the BMW, especially if I put snow tires on it. But do you think that the road salt would destroy it? I plan on keeping the Porsche a LONG time...storing it all winter probably is the right thing but certainly not the fun thing...

Anyone use their 997 as a winter daily driver????
Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 353 Posts

I use my 911 4S as my winter car. 18" Michelin Pilot Alpins.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 962 Posts

I drive my 997 turbo frequently in winter conditions. I have a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. It performs well as long as the snow isn't deeper than 4 inches. I drove my 996 C4S in the winter when I lived in Indiana. The only bad thing about Indiana winters is the road salt that is used there in slippery conditions. I think I drove to work more than once with my tires never touching the road because they were riding on packed salt. It's nasty stuff.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as there is less than 4" of snow on the ground you are good to go. Otherwise you'll have a very expensive plow.

Driving a Targa 4S in the snow is a lot of fun

Make sure you get winter tires (I got Pirelli Sottozeros) because the summer tires are useless below 50F, snow or no snow. I set them on smaller (18") and narrower wheels to get a higher profile and narrower tire. Then drive it to the slopes:

Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
patriot993
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

thanks guys - very encouraging.

Sounds like salt induced corrosion isn't keeping you awake at night. My Targa is NOT a garage queen (have driven it over 2K miles in 2.5 months - and I am gone just about every week traveling for work so I am not babying it. But I am concerned about 10 years from now wishing I hadn't gotten it in the salt.

But maybe cars in the last few years are better protected from salt corrosion?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 AM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My 09 C4S has been my daily driver for 36K miles since new year-round in Nebraska and now Ohio. It is fine in up to 4 inches of snow and passable in up to 6. I run 19s with 235/295. Will be getting a new set of snow tires this year. No concerns about corrosion.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 AM
PPadilha07997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salt, Snow, corrosion are the main words that just stuck out. Why would you drive it in any type of snow at all? The chances of getting gravel chips and crashing are alot higher. Not to say your a bad driver it's other people on the road I don't trust. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing wrong with driving it year round. However, you said you plan to keep the car a long time, and mentioned salt and corrosion. You already have the CRV, use it, and keep the 911 for better weather! You will likely enjoy it more in the long run this way.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

My C4 is my only car and i drive it all year round here in chicago. the downside is that i do want to keep it for a long time and although it seems fine now, im sure long term it will play a role in deterioration of the vehicle.
So although i have no problems of driving my P in winter (snow tires) i do want to park it when there is allot of salt and debris from plow trucks digging up the asphalt. in order to be able to keep it in better shape long term you have to keep stuff like that in mind, but cant be paranoid about it.
So for times when it's really bad, i'm looking to get my self a G class just for extra bad winter moths (dont have to get that, could be a honda civic for all i care, just always wanted a G). something with 100k miles should do it just fine. as soon as roads clear up a tad, i'd jump right back in to P.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

> driving a 911 year-round in Chicago

Hell. No.

I've already munched up a wheel because of all the potholes in the city. It's pathetic that our taxes are so high, yet our infrastructure is rotting and full of decay.

Re-shoe the CR-V and drive that in the winter. I actually wish I had one instead of this useless thing. It can't tow worth a damn and it gets 15 MPG.

At least it's good for hauling parts around.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:13 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't winter drive my 4S. Just personal preference to avoid the corrosion and other effects.

Otherwise I would, with winter tires of course.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:37 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't like driving the P-car for short drives where the engine can't get warmed up, eg. milk run. IOW, keep the CR-V.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:16 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

FYI, the engine is really exposed on a 997 compared to other modern front engine cars that have a lot of plastic cladding under the engine.

The car is drives fine in the snow and especially in urban/suburban areas that deal with snow all the time because the plows clean up the snow on major roads fairly quick.

Salt is the enemy and if you drive it, just try to rinse it off as soon as possible.

Lastly, it's a car, it will last 10yrs, it may not be the finest example but plenty of cars last 10+ years being driven in the snow/salt.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

What about the under insured doofass on bad tires that slides and clips you on the road or in a simple parking lot? Ive been driving Porsches in the Midwest since 1978 and I never driven any of them in snow/salt. Its just not worth the risk. Ive always had a winter beater for that duty, although as I gained affluence, my beaters improved.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I drive my C2 in the winter with 18" rims and snow tires, however I only take it out on dry winter days where there is no slush or snow on the roads. There are plenty of days where the roads are dry and clear and on those i take the Porsche. Snowy /slushy days I take my A4.

Many don't take into consideration that it can be harmful and risky for a car to sit and not be driven for 3/4 months at a time. Seals dry out, animals nest, metals corrode, lubricants degrade, etc. Jake Raby sees more IMS failures with garage queens than higher mileage cars..... They need to be driven. This is why I keep my 997 active all winter driving it at least a couple days a week on suitable days.

As far as corrosion goes - with galvanized steel bodies there is virtually no chance of rust for 20+ years - if ever - on the body. The underside clamps and what not will take a beating but a rinse off of the under body on the spring will help.

The "math" to me says there is more potential harm in having it sit for months than driving it on nice winter days.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 09-02-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Do I Targa 4 or CR-V this winter?