Sponsored by:

Tough decisions - to GTS or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
tbarcelo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough decisions - to GTS or not

So I know that this is a personal question and there are a few threads on this topic - though not as many as you think - but I'm going to ask anyway. Back in early July I sold my 996TT. I live in the Northeast and only drive the "fun" car from about April/May to Oct/Nov/Dec depending on the year.
While I enjoyed my TT, I was never completely satisfied with the exhaust sound and while wickedly fast, the turbo lag bugged me a bit.
With those things in mind, I decided that what I really wanted was a naturally aspirated convertible that can seat four (I often have my kids with me) and is a blast to drive. For me, this also means manual transmission.
The list very quickly narrowed to another 911. I have now driven at least four different 997.2 cabs. I tried to drive a 997.1, but the idiot dealer didn't want me driving it before agreeing on a selling price because he wanted to keep the miles off of his 40k mile personal car!
Okay, so what's my question? While I suspect that I would be perfectly happy with a 997.1, I would always be thinking about whether or not I should have bought a 997.2 - and I prefer the looks of the .2

So now I'm looking for a 997.2 cab with a manual tranny. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to buy black, white or silver, and I'm on the fence about grey. That doesn't leave a ton of options!
My bigger question at this point is GTS or C2S or C4S.
I really like the wide body of the GTS and C4S, but despite being in the Northeast, I don't need the 4WD since I won't be driving in the winter.
While I doubt I'd really be able to tell the difference, I also like the idea of having the PowerKit with the GTS.
It is unlikely that I'll track the car. Mostly a weekend fun car with some nice weather commutes thrown in.
I test drove a C2S and a C4S back-to-back and I was more aware of some driveline vibrations of the older C4S and couldn't really focus on the driving differences between the two.

Cost also complicates this entire decision process. I am more concerned about depreciation than up-front cost, but to some extent, the two are related.
So what do you guys think? Cough up the extra dough for a GTS or simply try to find a really nice example of a C2S or C4S?

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:23 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Although I drive a GTS, and only looked for a GTS when I "downsized" from my 6GT3, from your description seems a C2S would be more than adequate. I would suggest examining the GTS standard list, and decide whether those items optional to the C2S (not many) are worth it to you. And if the wb really appeals to you, a C4S, but that's a very personal preference given no need for AWD.

While the GTS may depreciate relatively less than the C2S, the upfront cost may well negate that. Also, a year ago when I was looking, all that I could find were black, white silver, and grey. Now and again, a red or yellow pop up, but few and far between (and after I had bought). The C2S will give you more options there.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

There is also 997.2 4GTS.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:36 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the 997.2 GTS, but am not a fan of centerlocks or the alcantara interior that most are equipped with.

I have a 997.2 cab with the 6MT and like it very much. I have a small-ish teenage daughter, and she and her friends fit OK in the back if I adjust the seats.

I was lucky to find one in my preferred color combo, but had to go out of state to get it.

Good luck. You can't go wrong.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tbarcelo and I have spoken over PM's as he had some questions about my recent acquisition of a 2011 GTS. I have only had it for a couple of weeks now but can tell you that I really enjoy the car. I am sure that any one of the cars on your short list will bring you a ton of satisfaction, the GTS probably being the one with the smallest depreciation hit and the easiest one to sell in the future.
Side note - don't let the centerlock issue dissuade you from the GTS, they are truly not that bad to use once you get the hang of it.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM
tbarcelo
Instructor

All - thanks for the inputs. I was originally scared off by the CLs, but then I read some of the threads and now I'm not as worried. I'm not crazy about forking over another $0.5 - 1k for the tools, but it is what it is. I have already talked myself into a considerably higher budget than what I started with.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:33 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

o/p- Was your 996TT a cab?
A 997 or GTS cab is going to be louder that if your TT was a hard top.
Also on your cab acquisition. While the cab does have infinite head roof with the roof down in the back seat. the shoulder room, I believe, is less.
I can tuck my tween's in the back of my coupe.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:42 PM
tbarcelo
Instructor

@BIG smoke - my 996TT was a coupe.
I have taken my son on a few test drives with me in the back seat of the cabs. The backrest is definitely more upright (i.e. less comfortable), but he loves the open top motoring. My daughter will be a bit more of a squeeze, but no one in my family of four is particularly big.
I was surprised to hear my son tell me that he preferred the sound of the C2S we drove on Saturday over the Shelby GT500 (both convertibles)!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbarcelo
All - thanks for the inputs. I was originally scared off by the CLs, but then I read some of the threads and now I'm not as worried. I'm not crazy about forking over another $0.5 - 1k for the tools, but it is what it is. I have already talked myself into a considerably higher budget than what I started with.
Tools can be had for $400. The Precision Instrument torque wrench is $320-350, breaker bar $55, or you can buy the PI kit incl breaker bar for $400.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:47 PM
JB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the GTS is worth the search.
Lots of extra options and not that much more money.
Centre locks was a no no for me (I was lucky enough to find `12 4GTS with 6 spd and 5-lug wheels.
If you do some of your own work I think the centre locks is likely to be a PITA,especially if you get a flat and you are not close to a bigger centre with the necessary know how....my 2 c`s
Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

tbarcelo- those kids will grow up quickly and be fighting for that front passenger seat. Next, they will be fighting for the keys.
I would certainly consider center locks. They are sooo hot. As JB993 stated above. Big center service will be a problem. Where I'm going to break down??? I'm getting flat bedded 2+ hour anyway. Center locks or not, no one is going to have a tire for you anyway. Plug kit, tire goo, air compressor. And CAA+ AAA+.
I keep an off season tire at each end of cottage / city route. I'm never 60 minutes away from a spare.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:19 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbarcelo
Frankly, I'd prefer the 5-lug wheels, but the centerlocks are part of the GTS package.

Suggest you negotiate in a tire and wheel warranty (worth about $2.5k) even if car is CPO'd, I did. You're still going to have the inconvenience and/or time delay if you have a wheel/tire problem, especially in the hinterlands, but no out-of-pocket expense.

Be aware that some of these warranties have a set amount for wheel dismount, time/cost, that will not fully cover the centerlock procedure. Check on that.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

GTS no question...loved mine...it's more than a Carrera S.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 PM
tbarcelo
Instructor

@mdrums - I knew that's where you would come down

Finding the right one is going to be the real challenge!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:05 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Frankly, I'd prefer the 5-lug wheels, but the centerlocks are part of the GTS package.

Suggest you negotiate in a tire and wheel warranty (worth about $2.5k) even if car is CPO'd, I did. You're still going to have the inconvenience and/or time delay if you have a wheel/tire problem, especially in the hinterlands, but no out-of-pocket expense.

Be aware that some of these warranties have a set amount for wheel dismount, time/cost, that will not fully cover the centerlock procedure. Check on that.
The Porsche dealer had ordered my GTS cab for floor stock with 5 lug wheels and MT. I've seen a few others around when looking on-line.

Quick Reply: Tough decisions - to GTS or not