Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Topic: Car for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for all the constructive feedback. I'm hoping to take her to look at some cars tomorrow.
I'll post our opinions.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:14 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you given any thought to a Macan S? My wife traded her 2013 MB SLK350 for a 2015 Macan and has never been happier with a car. The Macan price point isn't much different than a considerable number of other cars and crossovers. Take one out for a test drive, you will both fall in love with it.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a 2013 lexus gs350 for my daily driver. Very happy with it. I was going back and forward between this and the A6 and 535i. The A6 came in second for me. The interior on the GS and audio beat out the rest. The cars power train is much more smoother than the A6. The only issue I have with the lexus is the stability control kicks in too early when exiting a corner at high speed/full throttle, it cuts the throttle response too much. But that's why I have the 997 right? If your getting a cpo check the tires. If you read the lexus forums the owners don't like the oem bridgestone tires. I had the dealer install michelin pilot A/S very happy with them. Good luck, and I agree with others don't rationalize her choice. Just let her pick! I've learnt that lesson the hard way.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What color does she want ?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The Merc, all the way. It's for wife and kids, and you're looking for piece of mind, not excitement and entertainment. If you want the latter, get the BMW, and a mistress.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fiancee is currently driving around my '95 E300 Diesel.

She hated the car when I got it two years ago looking to flip the car. I fixed her up and got her running right and had the fiancee drive the car, and she was hooked.

Fiancee will be driving my '86 325es in a few weeks once I finish sorting out the drivetrain. Her first manual transmission car. Hopefully the clutch won't be too knackered.

The W124 is starting to show it's age on the body (360,000+ miles, half of which were done in salty Illinois), so while she's driving the E30, I may fix up the W124, sell it, sell some other cars, and pick up a newer, 2011+ Touareg TDI, since I *may* be starting a business soon, and I need the added trailering capacity.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
The Merc, all the way. It's for wife and kids, and you're looking for piece of mind, not excitement and entertainment. If you want the latter, get the BMW, and a mistress.
sounds like you may have married the wrong woman if that's how you feel. I also feel like all of the cars mentioned are safe and reasonable. It's not like I'm debating between a minivan and a 60's alpha Spyder.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 135 Posts

Steer her away from the Bavarian POS.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Do you own or lease your current A3?
The difficulty with dealerships currently, is that they don't want off brands on their lots.
Trading your A3 at a BMW or Benz lot? They are going to offer you a terrible number. Its just going to wholesale. If you can, find a dealer with multi brands ???
I'd still look at an A4 as you upgrade. While you may not like your dealer, there must be another one close in SF. A4 allroad wagon would be my wife kids vehicle. All vehicles have gotten bigger. 3 series is now the size of the old 5 series. C class is the size of the old E class.
My wife is currently in a CPO'ed X5. She loves it. I hate the 20 inch tires, which seem to last 18 months. Be careful with your rims size choices.
Its for her, not you.
I'd be sniffing around the Cayenne diesel, or Macan Diesel (coming?)
Those turn my automotive crank.

ps. I love spending money vicariously.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
Steer her away from the Bavarian POS.
What is this based on? My research show it to be more reliable that previous generations.

We went to the MB dealership and checked out a few cars. The previous generation C class is not much if any bigger than what we ave now. The New C class is a better fit for the size requirement but the all have this stupid iPad afterthought want-a be youth relevant thing mounted on the dash and it alder looks dated. The E class is still an option but she thought it felt a little too large.
We live in the hills and the roads are very tight and twisty. The interior was nice and the size was nice as well.

We then drove a CPO 535i M Sport and it so far is the front runner. Still want to check out the A6 and the Macan, although the Macan is more than I want to spend.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Do you own or lease your current A3?
The difficulty with dealerships currently, is that they don't want off brands on their lots.
Trading your A3 at a BMW or Benz lot? They are going to offer you a terrible number. Its just going to wholesale. If you can, find a dealer with multi brands ???
I'd still look at an A4 as you upgrade. While you may not like your dealer, there must be another one close in SF. A4 allroad wagon would be my wife kids vehicle. All vehicles have gotten bigger. 3 series is now the size of the old 5 series. C class is the size of the old E class.
My wife is currently in a CPO'ed X5. She loves it. I hate the 20 inch tires, which seem to last 18 months. Be careful with your rims size choices.
Its for her, not you.
I'd be sniffing around the Cayenne diesel, or Macan Diesel (coming?)
Those turn my automotive crank.

ps. I love spending money vicariously.
We own it and I'd probably hire a broker to sell it for us. It's a compromise between doing it yes and trading it in. We've decided to look at Audi and see if something is an option.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
sounds like you may have married the wrong woman if that's how you feel. I also feel like all of the cars mentioned are safe and reasonable. It's not like I'm debating between a minivan and a 60's alpha Spyder.
What is an "Alpha"?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

What is an "Alpha"?
Ha, auto correct. Alfa!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

What is an "Alpha"?
Unless you just posted for the trivial typo correction... an Alfa is this:

BTW... a great car for the OP.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Unless you just posted for the trivial typo correction... an Alfa is this:

BTW... a great car for the OP.
Yes, that! Probably not the best family sedan but I could try and convince her to just go with it!

Gorgeous car!

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Car for the wife