Sponsored by:

Slave Cylinder Failure?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Aolszowy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder Failure?...

Over the weekend I was out running errands; at one point stomped on the gas (not to overrev but speed up a little quickly). I then felt as through the clutch had let loose (i.e. not held the correct wheel speed based on engine speed) and I had a completely soft clutch pedal. I stopped at a light and shifted into neutral w/o a problem, and when the light turned green I again shifted into gear w/o a problem. Upon starting off, the clutch didn't disengage until the pedal was almost all the way up and I felt like I revved the motor to 4k before the car started moving. There are no mechanical noises while running, the car is drivable and I didn't see any leakage of hydraulic fluid. I did check both brake fluid and power steering fluid reservoirs; brake fluid was fine and power steering was very low. I filled up the reservoir and pumped the clutch seeing if it would build pressure (read somewhere that "bleeding" the slave might not require cracking open the drain but I find this hard to believe.

1) any recommendations on possible culprits to the issue?
2) do I in fact need to bleed the slave in the traditional manner that I expect or does just pumping it up work?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a very similar symptom happening to me this past Sunday, while passing a car. The clutch pedal took a lot of time to come back, and as a result the engine revved up.

For me it is clear the pressure plate in the clutch is toasted and that means a new clutch system. Ouch!

Yves
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like it is toast, a leaking slave or master (I had to replace my master) would mean that the clutch was difficult to disengage, not the other way round. Also do you hear any squishy noises? That was my cue that my master was stuffed, and of course the weeping from underneath it....
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Aolszowy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
I had a very similar symptom happening to me this past Sunday, while passing a car. The clutch pedal took a lot of time to come back, and as a result the engine revved up.

For me it is clear the pressure plate in the clutch is toasted and that means a new clutch system. Ouch!

Yves
Confirming the pressure plate failed...just got the car back from the shop today.

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder Failure?...