The plastic screen straightens the air for the maf, don't cut that out
The following users liked this post:
Slakker (05-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anthinino
I am digging this post up because I was wondering what was needed to get this done. I have a 997.1 and a 997.1 Turbo Decklid, and it looks like all I need are new snorkels and the re position the oil filler, or purchase a 997.2 filler.

Looking to add the 997.2 airbox vs aftermarket?

Thanks for reply.
It looks like it will work, but you'll need to get a custom intake elbow fabbed up, I would think, aside from obvious things like cutting your .1 decklid to make room for the extra snorkel as well as ordering two 997.2 snorkels to mate the decklid to the airbox.

I haven't had time to tinker with this, since everything else on the car seems to be breaking so my .2 airbox has been sitting in the closet of my old room at my parents' place.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lurchphil
Carmichael,

If you remove the Helmholtz regulator from the back of the 997.2 airbox, I would like to purchase it from you. Please advise.

Phil
Eh, I dunno. I think I'm gonna keep it on there for the time being.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael

Off to the side is what appears to be a flap for the Helmholtz resonator. It is normally held open like this. Applying vacuum to it will draw the flap closed.

Does anyone know what the Helmholtz resonator does to the intake sound? When does that the flap open and close normally?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Ducati_John
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general, helmholtz resonators will put a notch in the response of an acoustic device at the frequency they're tuned to. So if there was an annoying tone created by the airbox, the HR could be tuned to that frequency to reduce its level and make it less audible, for example. Maybe if it's open by default it keeps the intake quieter for cruising around town or on the highway, but if you stomp on the gas it closes to make things louder. But I don't actually know what this specific one does.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
It looks like it will work, but you'll need to get a custom intake elbow fabbed up, I would think, aside from obvious things like cutting your .1 decklid to make room for the extra snorkel as well as ordering two 997.2 snorkels to mate the decklid to the airbox.

I haven't had time to tinker with this, since everything else on the car seems to be breaking so my .2 airbox has been sitting in the closet of my old room at my parents' place.
See post #5 of Tom Chan's Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3 thread on the the 997 GT2 / GT3 / RS forum.

Quick Reply: So I bought a 997.2 airbox to adapt to my 997.1