Sponsored by:

First Service...what should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First Service...what should I expect?

MY2012. 14k miles. My "Service in 30 days" wrench lit up so I have scheduled a service appointment at the Porsche Dealer. I do not care for their service department but they are the only one in town. My previous experience with them servicing my 996 was not very good, but the 997 is still under warranty, so I need to use them for this scheduled maintenance.

My question is, other than an oil/filter change, what should I expect them to do for this scheduled service? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

2011_911_Maintenance.pdf

Read that.
That's what they'll use for your first service.

Also, just because your car is under warranty does NOT mean you have to take it to a dealer to be serviced.

You will need to understand the schedule based on both mileage and time. Some items must be done by whichever comes first, mileage or time.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

^ This is great. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ask the service department what exactly will be done at the service and have them put it in writing on an estimate.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

I too have a 2012. C2S. Car just went in earlier this month for fourth service based on time not miles. I have just under 20,000 miles. It has been at dealers now for three weeks. I have no concept of what this might cost. To be fair I had a list of things to do since this is my last check up under warranty including an update of the navigation maps and complaint about the battery that won't hold a charge for longer than a week or so unless the car is on a charger. I also had some loose carpeting and I think they just put in new carpet. Anyway I find that a routine oil or annual service for me begins at about 300.00 at the dealer. Last year they added a cabin filter for some unreasonable amount.
This car is fun, but mine has spent more time in the garage than all my other fun cars combined. my other fun cars have included English and Italian sports cars as well as a Honda S2000 and a C6 Corvette.
Best
Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

In and out in less than 4 hours. Oil change, brake fluid flush, replaced the air filter and cabin filter, checked for leaks (none) and put some more air in my tires (too much actually).

$725.00.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like it was quick and easy for you. I'm sure your car feels great. It's always good to keep up regularly on your services. Enjoy!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that seems expensive. Maybe it is not, I don't really know as I plan on doing all the maintenance on my car myself.

If we lived closer to each other I'd do all that work for you for $700

In all seriousness, If you are even slightly mechanically competent you could do all of this work for probably $100-$150 in materials. But I do understand that there is value and peace of mind in having work done professionally.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike9186
Wow, that seems expensive. Maybe it is not, I don't really know as I plan on doing all the maintenance on my car myself.

If we lived closer to each other I'd do all that work for you for $700

In all seriousness, If you are even slightly mechanically competent you could do all of this work for probably $100-$150 in materials. But I do understand that there is value and peace of mind in having work done professionally.

That is outrageous based on what OP said was done.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motopix
That is outrageous based on what OP said was done.
Tell me about it. I may not be able to sit down for a few days!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Tell me about it. I may not be able to sit down for a few days!
I understand wanting to keep in good graces/establish a relationship with a sole dealer in your locale for warranty issues: that would be worth a little extra to me too. I also understand not being able to or wanting to DIY.

You've already said they are crap from past experience. Surely there is a competent Indy in that area and for, at the very least, these basic sort of maintenance items it would be hard for Porsche to deny a future claim given the Moss-Magnuson Act.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

I understand wanting to keep in good graces/establish a relationship with a sole dealer in your locale for warranty issues: that would be worth a little extra to me too. I also understand not being able to or wanting to DIY.

You've already said they are crap from past experience. Surely there is a competent Indy in that area and for, at the very least, these basic sort of maintenance items it would be hard for Porsche to deny a future claim given the Moss-Magnuson Act.
Interesting. I am not familiar with the Moss-Magnuson Act but just took a quick glance at it. It does not specifically state that a Dealer cannot void a warranty if any work is done by another entity, but I assume that you believe it does. If that is the case, then yes, my car will be taken to my trusted Indy for any future maintenance.

I trust however, that repairs covered under the warranty are only performed at the Dealership?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 PM
motopix
Pro

If a repair is needed that would be covered under the warranty then yes, you need to get it done by the dealer. That's where the 'goodwill', 'established relationship' comes in. Presuming you're more likely to get a dealer who knows you to go to bat for you if there's any doubt about a warranty repair. Not sure that applies to your current dealer who's proven to be questionable in it's charges (since you haven't specified the exact issues you've had in the past).

Not so for maintenance. Just keep detailed recoreds of Indy service.

edit: I won't sugar coat it: even with the law on your side to go to an Indy for maint. work, that's not to say a shady dealer isn't going to create problems for you should a problem come up. But we already know you're dealing with a shady dealer, so the choice is to document maint. at your Indy and take a chance or keep going to that dealer, pay the price and still expect to get screwed on a warranty issue down the road.

I'd go to the Indy FWIW in your particular case. But you have to decide what you're comfortable with.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

If a repair is needed that would be covered under the warranty then yes, you need to get it done by the dealer. That's where the 'goodwill', 'established relationship' comes in. Presuming you're more likely to get a dealer who knows you to go to bat for you if there's any doubt about a warranty repair. Not sure that applies to your current dealer who's proven to be questionable in it's charges (since you haven't specified the exact issues you've had in the past).

Not so for maintenance. Just keep detailed recoreds of Indy service.
Thanks. My history with the Dealer's Service Dept started when I bought a 996. I purchased an aftermarket extended warranty with the car and a few months down the road, I took it to the dealer because my cab top wasn't closing very well. They wanted to replace the top motor which wasn't covered because it was hydraulic and not electrical. I knew from Rennlist that it likely just needed hydraulic fluid and asked them to check. Nope...needs a new motor. There was also a belt that needed replacing (not covered because it was cracked...but not broken as well as a bent tie rod arm. Total estimate...over $3400 (cab motor was $1200). I told them to forget it. Took it to Becks European in Scottsdale. They topped off the hydraulic fluid and did the other repairs via the warranty (although the tie rid wasn't covered) and I was out of there for under $500 bucks including an oil change.

Oh, and when I asked the service writer to check the AOS, her response was, what's an AOS? I **** you not.

BTW, the cab top worked perfectly for the next 3 years right up until I sold the car.

Quick Reply: First Service...what should I expect?