Need a multi-meter rec

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts
Default Need a multi-meter rec

I am on DigiKey's website buying some fuses and holders as I am trying to repair my VTL 300 Deluxe tube amp that blew a ceramic fuse and melted the holder..... now to figure out what tube is bad....... yuck. Remember the day when every grocery store had a tube tester? Anyway, I am on Digikey's website and thought I would add a new multimeter to the list. The crappy RadioShack unit I have floats all over the place in AC.... I actually read some current on a dead AC line.... sheesh! Wasted time.

Anyway, DigiKey has a ton of units with prices all over the place. I want a good unit that doesn't float - read zero when zero - and is easy to use with real words on the face and not symbols (I had to tape a cheat sheet to the back of my RadioShack unit). I just need it for the basics... reading current, voltage, capacitance, AD/DC, continuity etc etc etc..... basic stuff. I am not looking for a cheepie unit... I want a nice rugged one but not a Porsche-model. (see, I did have Porsche content)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-24-2015, 07:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight for $6 (often free with one of their frequent coupons) and a second as a spare. As accurate as you will ever need for that kind of work.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Get something made by FLUKE. It doesn't matter if you get the cheapest one, it's going to be great.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Can't beat a Fluke. I use a Fluke 116.
Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Especially with tools.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 AM
LOFMarine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the FLUKE. Been around for decades and is rock solid reliable.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:12 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Need a multi-meter rec

I've used Fluke for over 30 years. Can't beat their electronic equipment. You can go cheap per Tony if budget is a worry. He is right about what he says. But if you like the feel of a good tool in your hands (it's Friday night so I'll give anyone out there with a need a free shot here), spend the extra bucks.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep one hand in your pocket and use a dim bulb to avoid letting the smoke out during debug. Better yet, why not let Luke Manley take care of your amp?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Fluke 87.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

A Fluke 87 is available HERE for $412.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

I have a craftsman digital, and it works great:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-d...1&blockType=G1
Old 07-25-2015, 10:51 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

As good as Fluke is, Flukes are generally for engineers whom are using them for circuit debug/design where millivolts of resolution are needed. For automotive use its overkill as you only need tenths of a volt of resolution. Don't get me wrong though they probably are the best meters but like any meter they need yearly calibration for true precision so they are not superior in that sense.

The HF as someone else mentioned is fine for automotive stuff, i would also look at say a B&K precision or Extech as they are some of the best bang for the buck however the issue for you is tube amps have very high supply voltages usually 200-400VAC, so you'll need something that has that kind of range. High voltage meters will sacrifice resolution as its just not needed.. Since your working with tubes, make sure you are familiar with working with high voltages. Try Jameco as they have what you need for less than 50 bucks.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:46 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
As good as Fluke is, Flukes are generally for engineers whom are using them for circuit debug/design where millivolts of resolution are needed. For automotive use its overkill as you only need tenths of a volt of resolution. Don't get me wrong though they probably are the best meters but like any meter they need yearly calibration for true precision so they are not superior in that sense.

The HF as someone else mentioned is fine for automotive stuff, i would also look at say a B&K precision or Extech as they are some of the best bang for the buck however the issue for you is tube amps have very high supply voltages usually 200-400VAC, so you'll need something that has that kind of range. High voltage meters will sacrifice resolution as its just not needed.. Since your working with tubes, make sure you are familiar with working with high voltages. Try Jameco as they have what you need for less than 50 bucks.
Fluke. There is no substitute.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 288 Posts

I've owned Radio Shack, Craftsman and keep a cheap harbor freight one in my cars. Bought my first Fluke 88VA auto kit last year. Wish I had bought a Fluke a long time ago as my shop go to.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM
gumbyaz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree that fluke's are the best - all of my electricians at work swear by them - but not needed for home use. I have a craftsman digital one that has served me well for most home/car tasks, but splurged for an Extech clamp meter a few years back and it is great. Paid for itself helping me troubleshoot a bad start cap on one of my AC units a few weeks ago since it has the capacitance measuring feature.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:52 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I would agree with Fluke choice. I have over 30 years of electronic experience. Get a cheapest one with ruggedized case. Like 110 or 116. Will last a life time. Yes, you can get a cheapy Chinese little boxes and it may show similar number for a while. But just like everything in life...

Quick Reply: Need a multi-meter rec