Found a 997... but long-distance buying... hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Found a 997... but long-distance buying... hmmm

As a 997 guy, I am interested in another 997 for my ''collection"... lol

...but it's 9 hours away and it's the first time I would be doing a long-distance private sale that far away that I can't see first in person before receiving the vehicle.

I just started a new job, so I can't take a day off to make the run... and I will get inspected by a local... but...

Any advice here? What is standard procedure for a remote purchase? Add any pointers you want.

I thought this would be a great place to ask. Thanks Rennlisters.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a PPI and you could contact the PCA in the seller's area to see if they know anything about the car. Get maintenance history too, if available.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

In addition to the above advice. Talk to the seller multiple times - ask lots of questions... The more they talk, the better the feel you will get for the car and issues often don't surface until you ask then"right" question. Ask or dozens of high def pictures
Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I think I am more worried about sending money and getting it shipped. Well... more about the transfer of money...

Shipping companies have a presence/reputation...

But how do I know the seller doesn't disappear with the money? ... I will look into the guy as much as possible...
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought mine from a dealer and flew down with certified check in hand so was different but what I had planned to do if I had found a private seller was introduce a 3rd party... I would find a reputable Indy in the area who would do your PPI but also pay them a fee to manage the transaction for you - take the car from the seller, do the PPI, keep the car on premise, receive ownership and keys etc at same time as you transfer cash. The Indy would also keep the car for transport too. Again, never done it myself but this was my plan.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

The ideal would be to simultaneously exchange certified check (or execute a wire transfer) and receive the vehicle. You could do either while meeting with the seller or having a third party receive the vehicle on your behalf. Perhaps you could enlist a nephew, niece, cousin or friend to fly out to deliver the certified check and receive the car and title and drive it back or make sure it gets loaded up with your freight company. Alternatively, maybe the seller can deliver to you if you pay his costs to get to you and return home, and offer a deposit as well.

If you want to make this exchange airtight, then you would have to further involve a third party:

1. Letter of Credit (that's why these were developed) from your bank to his bank specifying that payment will be made upon delivery of the car and receipt of signed title.

2. Escrow agent who could hold your funds until the car and endorsed title are received

3. Run the transaction through Ebay which offers a "money back guaranty"... in practice this can be difficult to secure

These last 3 would be extreme (and costly) measures... I've bought/sold 8 vehicles sight unseen with remote sellers and buyers. Most of these closed with certified checks or transfers on the delivery date, but 3 were based on the degree of trust developed with the counterparty.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I think my local contact will meet the guy, ensure he's an actual human with the car at his house, do the inspection and then we'll get a cert check or wire the money. Money wires are really the sellers best option. When the money is in his account, it's his money; then I want the title in hand (being my local contact will receive it with the car. He can drive it away and help ship it.

Sounds like a little coordination...
Old 07-19-2015, 01:42 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

You could buy our 997S and not worry about anything!
Old 07-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Oh, too late! Deal is done, except for the inspection. Yours might be too nice/$$ if you're a Rennlister! I was looking for a well worn 997 that I can make into a track car or some form of outlaw.

Quick Reply: Found a 997... but long-distance buying... hmmm