Sponsored by:

2010 C4S w/ 40k - Few Questions on Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 C4S w/ 40k - Few Questions on Maintenance

I have a 2010 C4S with about 40k on the clock. I have a few questions hoping someone could help me out with.

First is in regards to maintenance. I know the book calls for a major service with spark plugs at 40k. I'm wondering if anyone's stretched the plugs for a bit longer, and if not, how hard they are to do yourself? I've done plugs before, but never on a 911, which with the cramped spaces, looks a bit daunting.

Second is a bit of an issue I've been seeing lately. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination or not, but I feel like my 911 has been having a bit of "over acceleration" as of late. The main thing is that once every blue moon, when I lift off the throttle, the car still pulls for a bit before letting off the acceleration. It's almost like a stuck throttle, but it never gets stuck, just doesn't respond as quickly as it could. I've heard the engine bounce off the limiter once in a while, but I suppose that could easily be from just breaking wheel traction. Anyone experience a similar thing or heard of something like this? Again, it could just be my imagination / me not lifting off the throttle as much as I think I am, but I can't remember a similar feeling before.

Lastly, anyone know the removable procedure for the headlights? One of the lights looks like it's come unseated a bit (bottom on one has a fingers width gap at the bottom), and it's a few inches off in alignment compared with the other side.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fellow Boston guy here-

I think you will hear all kinds of opinions on this- my take is that for DFI cars like your's, changing the plugs at the right intervals is more important than for port injected cars -IE 997.1's

This is because the plugs are a critical part of the dfi system, and if they are off will impact performance, and could in theory result in issues like carbon build-up.

I also do my own maintenance and after reading the plug changing article on the Pelican site (my car is an 08) it doesn't look to bad to me, and I'm planning on doing my plugs when the time comes.

I don't have an answer for you on the acceleration question except that it should not stick at all, and should respond immediately to lift from the accelerator. given that this is a purely electronic system, i.e.-no cable, it may be diagnosable- but others may have more experience.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Remember having late records hurts resale, another thing to think about.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:51 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Took me two hours to change my plugs the first time I did it (2010 4S). Left the bumper on. Pulled the wheels and mufflers (put on Fisters as a part of this). Removing the fender support was necessary to remove the mufflers. Heat shields required some playing. Everything from there was extremely simple.

Helps to have a rotating head ratchet for the left muffler top nut.

Plugs creaked all the way out. I'm glad I didn't wait past 40K. Tempted to change plugs every 20K now!

Can't comment on your other points.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New plugs at the dealer will run you $400 installed. If that's not a lot to you, let them do it.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
First is in regards to maintenance. I know the book calls for a major service with spark plugs at 40k. I'm wondering if anyone's stretched the plugs for a bit longer, and if not, how hard they are to do yourself? I've done plugs before, but never on a 911, which with the cramped spaces, looks a bit daunting.
Read up on the spark plug tech article under engine here. There's some good information about them and the replacement. There is also a great amount of other tech articles there that can help with your other issues or any future issues. If you ever get stuck on something please don't hesitate to reach out and ask for help.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

According to the service manual it's 4 years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first. At the 4 year mark I had half the miles but still changed the plugs along with the other major items. I definitely felt a performance improvement (throttle response and pull) after the work was done.

I share the same thoughts (concerns) as 739142 as far as carbon build-up. Whether that's unfounded or not I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have a great Indy that does all my work so I can't help you as far as ease of replacement.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

Try here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-plug-diy.html

"I think you will hear all kinds of opinions on this- my take is that for DFI cars like your's, changing the plugs at the right intervals is more important than for port injected cars -IE 997.1's"

I haven't posted this yet.... am going to this weekend with pics ...... I think you are correct on this one. The first change I did at 40K miles was inconsequential.. .I noticed no difference. This last change at 81K I do notice a difference.. and the plugs look different (I saved the original plugs from my first change). I will take some pics this weekend and start another post. I suspect I drive the car longer at higher revs from highway driving than the original owner (purchased at 26K miles) and therefore I had way many more "activations" on them.

Wayne Smith
"Took me two hours to change my plugs the first time I did it (2010 4S). Left the bumper on. Pulled the wheels and mufflers (put on Fisters as a part of this). Removing the fender support was necessary to remove the mufflers. Heat shields required some playing. Everything from there was extremely simple."

Wow, you are fast. It took me 4 hours with bumper removal. I removed the bumper this time as the first time I did not and had a hell of a time getting that top bolt on the cat.... I still have nightmares about it. I had an "S" wrench but it just smoothed the bolt head and stripped. My friend who used to be a mechanic at a Jaguar dealer said the heat cycling of the exhaust softens the bolts... they usually shear if your car has many miles on it... per his comments.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Harbor Freight sells a ratchet handle that has a locking rotating head that makes that top bolt easy. I've posted pictures of it on this Forum a couple of times. It's deleted from my phone now, but if anyone wants, I will take another shot.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me 4 hours with bumper removal. I removed the bumper this time as the first time I did not and had a hell of a time getting that top bolt on the cat.... I still have nightmares about it. I had an "S" wrench but it just smoothed the bolt head and stripped. My friend who used to be a mechanic at a Jaguar dealer said the heat cycling of the exhaust softens the bolts... they usually shear if your car has many miles on it... per his comments.
Hey Bruce ... part of my yearly maintenance routine includes replacing those nuts off of the cat. I started this after the hassles with my initial plug change. This also cleans up the rust on the bolt threads. Yes, I am one of those "over-maintain" guys.

Quick Reply: 2010 C4S w/ 40k - Few Questions on Maintenance