Old 07-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts
Default 2009 C2S Blackstone Oil Analysis

2009 C2S 80K miles

I did my first Blackstone oil analysis at 78K miles. Their result:

"BRUCE: Thanks for letting us know about the cold sample. That can leave you with a small amount of fuel
in the oil, just like the 0.5% we found in this sample. That's not really a problem though, and any fuel from
operational factors will be cooked out once the engine gets up to operating temp. We're not seeing anything
in the way of excess wear. In fact, your engine is making less metal, overall, than we normally see from this
type of engine, even after a longer oil run than the ~4,000 miles universal averages are based on. Nothing
looks like a problem here!"

So......... What did I learn? I dunno. It was entertaining so I guess there is some value there. What if they said I had higher than normal wear? Panic?

This sample was from a "cold" oil change I did where I started the engine, jockeyed the car around to where I could do the change, and this left the oil well circulated and warm. It was not hot. I change the oil every 7K miles.

I have no idea how the car was broken in as I purchased it with 26K on the dial but it did burn what I thought was way too much oil. It then began to burn less and less until it stabilized at around 70K miles to where it burns less than a quart in 7K miles.

The evil I do to my car:

1 - It is my daily driver, snow tires in the winter and I put on around 25K a year lately.
2 - I do my own changes!! Yikes! The horror! And I don't have the oil level sender re-calibrated.... ever.
3 - I do oil changes at 7K miles.... why is this bad? Because many deeply knowledgeable folks on the 'net say that is way too long. Just to make this even worse, my friend who works at Ford tells me I am wasting money with early changes... I think he used the word "silly".
4 - I use Zaino instead of Zymol, I use an orbital polisher quite a bit, and sometimes my car sits outside in rain storms
5 - I throw Techron occasionally in my gas when it strikes me to do so.
6 - I seek the cheapest off-brand gas stations when I can
7 - I occasionally think about how much I enjoyed my 2000 Boxster S over this 2009 C2S

Yep, if you read the above, I am a crazy, knuckle-dragging car abuser with a better than average oil analysis. What does any of this dreck mean? I dunno, but again, I am entertained.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did an oil change and saved some to send to Blackstone. I've got 27k miles on my car and the engine has been rebuilt because of a scored cylinder. I'm curious to see how the engine looks approx 1 year after the second rebuild.

What brand / weight of oil are you using?

Last edited by mike9186; 06-04-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd bet that no one does this analysis for their non Porsche cars!
Not sure the cost is worth it.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

What it gives you is a baseline for future analysis to compare to. Akin to doing a stress test or EKG when you are healthy.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by mike9186
What brand / weight of oil are you using?
By the ZDDP values, and the classic viscosity shearing, I'd say Mobil 0W40.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
By the ZDDP values, and the classic viscosity shearing, I'd say Mobil 0W40.
Ooooo, you are good.

I think I will try a different oil next change... something on the Porsche approved list, a bit heavier, and then send that to Blackstone... why? Again, I dunno..... seems like it will stir up something from the sump of our disturbed brains.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Ooooo, you are good.

I think I will try a different oil next change... something on the Porsche approved list, a bit heavier, and then send that to Blackstone... why? Again, I dunno..... seems like it will stir up something from the sump of our disturbed brains.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Try:

Mobil 5W50
or
Motul 5W40

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like #7. I too have to agree about the Boxster S. Oh my!

Quick Reply: 2009 C2S Blackstone Oil Analysis