Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any brand of gasoline better than the others?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015 | 09:00 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Only 91 here in California, boo hoo.
Old 07-02-2015 | 09:00 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Sweet! HT is part of Kroger empire, but I've not seen $10 off Shell gift cards @ Kroger. If so, I'd be all over that like white on rice. Usually, it's gift cards for crud I don't want like chain restaurants. My wife is always making fun of me going through gymnastics to save a few beans on gas for a car that MSRPd for 100+K!
T
It's a HT VIC card point's plan you sign up for. HT sells $50 Shell cards, if you have enough points you get a $10 discount when buying the card.
Old 07-02-2015 | 09:03 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Default Any brand of gasoline better than the others?

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
It's a HT VIC card point's plan you sign up for. HT sells $50 Shell cards, if you have enough points you get a $10 discount when buying the card.
Righteous. Card - as in store loyalty card? HT credit card? Or, something else? I'm always game to explore new levels of cheapness!
T
Old 07-02-2015 | 10:06 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Card - as in store loyalty card

I have one for every chain store I shop at, free money is free money.
Old 07-03-2015 | 06:40 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

I use Shell as we get 4x fuel savings points on Shell gift cards @ Kroger. We then use the points to save at Kroger fuel stations, which is where we fill up the wife's Honda Ridgeline, our DD. On average, we save about 10 - 15 bucks per fill up. So, we save a few bucks, and I get to use the cards to buy Shell 93 octane V-Power octane for my unicorn. Win win!!

T
We have a similar program at our Stop and Shop supermarkets. I got 40 cents off oer gallon yesterday at fillup. Went from 230 to 1.90 per gallon.
Old 07-03-2015 | 07:07 AM
suzaan
Intermediate

Shell regular all the way.
Old 07-03-2015 | 09:41 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

So I got curious about the ongoing mentions of Top Tier and found these references that may be useful:

A version discussing Top Tier with better wording (but an incomplete list of brands):
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-gasoline.html

From Top Tier itself with a complete list of brands:
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

And an excerpt from a Consumer Reports article:
Independent stations usually buy their fuel from larger, name-brand oil companies, so it’s not much different from what you’d get for a higher price down the road. Off-brand gasoline is sometimes formulated without additives designed to clean the engine, but your car should run fine on that gas.
Old 07-03-2015 | 02:01 PM
Swoody
Racer

I only use Shell V Power in my cars...Reason...My cousin is the Development Engineering Supervisor for Rousch Racing in Livonia MI. He told me based on their tests of various fuels that Shell V Power absolutely kept the valves cleaner than other brands tested (Chevron, 76 , Sunoco etc...). That being said, all I can get in AZ is 91 octane (unless I blend race gas) and in MI 93 Oct is the norm for premium and Sunoco, I believe has 94.
Old 07-03-2015 | 02:50 PM
stelldr
2nd Gear

I only use Chevron and nothing else. Chevron adds Techron which has been tested and shown to actually clean your engine over time. There's a variety of information on the Chevron.com website.

Most places where you buy gas all receive the gasoline from the same nearest refinery. Their respective delivery trucks pickup the gasoline at the refineries. The only difference is the additives each company puts in the base gasoline.

Chevron also has a program where you get 3 cents off each gallon if you use their card. Also if you are a Safeway shopper you can get up to 20 cents a gallon by entering your Safeway card.
Old 07-03-2015 | 03:05 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
We have a similar program at our Stop and Shop supermarkets. I got 40 cents off oer gallon yesterday at fillup. Went from 230 to 1.90 per gallon.
Nice. Slightly OT, but I notice you live in Jersey, does anyone know if you can pump your own gas in NJ? Or, is that we-have-to-pump-it-for-you BS only on the Turnpike? Thanks, and apologies for the slight detour…T
Old 07-03-2015 | 05:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stelldr
I only use Chevron and nothing else. Chevron adds Techron which has been tested and shown to actually clean your engine over time. There's a variety of information on the Chevron.com website.

Most places where you buy gas all receive the gasoline from the same nearest refinery. Their respective delivery trucks pickup the gasoline at the refineries. The only difference is the additives each company puts in the base gasoline.

Chevron also has a program where you get 3 cents off each gallon if you use their card. Also if you are a Safeway shopper you can get up to 20 cents a gallon by entering your Safeway card.
Those additives are not added by the refineries.... actually the tankers that deliver the gas to your local station probably picks it up at a storage depot where it was piped from a refinery or from a sea port. The additives are added to the tanker trucks as they run out for delivery. Chevron gas is shell gas is Costco..... then the truck trundles over 25 yards and gets zapped with whatever then it mixes on the drive to the station.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-03-2015 | 05:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
.... then the truck trundles over 25 yards and gets zapped with whatever then it mixes on the drive to the station.
That mixing processing is not very reassuring of blend quality or right proportions. I wonder if some tankers add less additives or even none.
Old 07-03-2015 | 05:14 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Nice. Slightly OT, but I notice you live in Jersey, does anyone know if you can pump your own gas in NJ? Or, is that we-have-to-pump-it-for-you BS only on the Turnpike? Thanks, and apologies for the slight detour…T
Last time I was in NJ they had to pump it for you. It's odd that even with that policy NJ still has some of the cheapest gas prices around.
Old 07-03-2015 | 05:36 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Swoody
I only use Shell V Power in my cars...Reason...My cousin is the Development Engineering Supervisor for Rousch Racing in Livonia MI. He told me based on their tests of various fuels that Shell V Power absolutely kept the valves cleaner than other brands tested (Chevron, 76 , Sunoco etc...). That being said, all I can get in AZ is 91 octane (unless I blend race gas) and in MI 93 Oct is the norm for premium and Sunoco, I believe has 94.
I'm heading over to my local Shell station right now as we speak to get some V-Power.
Old 07-03-2015 | 06:34 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
My cars get Costco (Top Tier) whenever possible.
Agree. Fill it and forget it

Quick Reply: Any brand of gasoline better than the others?