997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC vent trim. Anyone dismantled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015 | 12:36 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Default AC vent trim. Anyone dismantled?

Ok, I'm staring at some AC vents. I can't figure out how to remove the surrounding trip without completely busting everything.

I'm trying to replace these silver ones with my volcano ones. Cept the silver ones have broken controls so just need to swap trim. Worse case I break everything and just glue things back together but don't really want to do that.

I'm tempted to just swap the vents out and live with vents that don't move left - right - left.
Old 07-02-2015 | 02:45 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Use a flashlight and look into the vent. At the top is a metal clip with a hole in it. You need to insert a stiff wire, hook, or pick into that clip and pull down on it as you pull outward. It's a bitch to do. The center is the worst as it has 2 clips that must be pulled simultaneously. If you have new volcano parts look at the clip on the top of them so you can see what you are dealing with.
Old 07-02-2015 | 12:24 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

I have no idea what I was writing. I blame my phone.

I have volcano in there now. Everything works fine. I bought silver ones where the vent controls are broken. I just want to salvage the trim off of them. I can get my old ones out.

I need to figure out how to remove the trim pieces from the vents themselves. Not the vents from the car. I reread what I wrote earlier ... that was horrible.
Old 07-03-2015 | 06:46 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

So jacking your thread because I was about to start one on this same topic. I have two vents where I can no longer adjust them from right to left. I assume either a clip has broken or disconnected. So to add to his question, how do you remove the vents completely or the face or is it possible to reconnect whatever has come lose that wont allow adjusting the vents?
Old 07-04-2015 | 09:51 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Removing the vents is easy. There are plenty of pictures for that but I'll add a couple of notes.

1- remove the surrounding plastic trim facing the doors to get the left and right ones off. Pulling down on the vent tabs and then down like at a 30 degree angle instead of straight back.

2. Remove the tab and cupholder to make getting the middle one out easier.

There's no fixing the left and right unless you have the tab to glue back on.
Old 07-11-2015 | 11:44 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Default Workhurts?

Not so easy based on what you describe, feels like I am going to break the trim. I looked for DIY but nothing and no pics I could locate anywhere. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by workhurts
Removing the vents is easy. There are plenty of pictures for that but I'll add a couple of notes.

1- remove the surrounding plastic trim facing the doors to get the left and right ones off. Pulling down on the vent tabs and then down like at a 30 degree angle instead of straight back.

2. Remove the tab and cupholder to make getting the middle one out easier.

There's no fixing the left and right unless you have the tab to glue back on.
Old 07-12-2015 | 08:27 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Google search. Some stuff on speed 6. I'll try to post some pictures of the inside of the car and the part itself later tonight or tomorrow n
Old 07-13-2015 | 03:16 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I was only searching Renn, did Google and found on 6Speed. Thanks again

Originally Posted by workhurts
Google search. Some stuff on speed 6. I'll try to post some pictures of the inside of the car and the part itself later tonight or tomorrow n
Old 07-13-2015 | 03:44 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Name:  8FE23A9E-5B20-417D-B2EB-03DBF6801A16_zpssupc9mdk.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  260.2 KB

See the black V shaped tab? You should be able to see that through the vent. Pull that down and pull the vent out (downward pressure worked for me instead of straight out). The left and right vents each have 2. I stuck a small screw driver in each one. The center vent has 2 also and found that center easier to do that the side.

Protect your touchscreen with something so you dangle the vent to disconnect the wires.

When pulling the left and right vent, don't pull all the way out without being aware of where the wire is. If u took off the side panels you should be able to disconnect everything there.

Name:  CA8F51B4-E5A5-45AD-8658-09CBDECEEF50_zpsark1tr4q.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  288.2 KB
Old 07-13-2015 | 10:35 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Bingo, read this, went down and badabing, out it came.
Old 07-14-2015 | 02:00 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

I just realized you were trying to fix broken left/right clips. Good luck with that.

I finally got my trim swapped. That was brutal. I had to transfer my working left/right connector thingy too. Ended up removing trim and removing louvers/slats. PIA.

Some say that little V flap connector thing can be re-attach without disassembly. I certainly hope so. I had to move mine since the 997.2 and 997.1 pieces are slightly different.
Old 01-22-2023 | 07:44 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

So I'm back to changing colors again. Had volcano, went to alumalook, went to green and now going white and it's painful every single time but would have helped is if I had read my own instructions from 8 years ago.

Anyway, he tubing/tunnel that actually feeds the slatted vents, my passenger side seems a little loose as in it's not seated. I tried wiggling and pushing it in but nothing. The center and drivers side seem solid.

I just can't remember whether this was always the case and it doesn't matter once the vents go back because they hold everything in place or whether I need to figure out how to not have the ductwork wiggle?

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, and the center console is coming out again for the 3rd or 4th color change but this time I'm paying someone to do it.
Old 01-23-2023 | 09:07 PM
bogotajoe
Instructor

If you are referring to the vertical fins within the duct itself then if it is loose, it is not seated correctly.
Old 01-23-2023 | 09:09 PM
bogotajoe
Instructor

Default covered in leather.

The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-23-2023 | 10:42 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bogotajoe
If you are referring to the vertical fins within the duct itself then if it is loose, it is not seated correctly.
Not the trim or the slats or anything on the external part but the internal ducts in the dash. I'll get a pic the next time I'm out in the garage.

Quick Reply: AC vent trim. Anyone dismantled?