Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service pet peeves

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015 | 12:23 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Default Dealer service pet peeves

Figured I'd start a thread (please forgive me if this has been done before, I did attempt to search first) where we can list pet peeves about the service we get/don't get from our dealerships...

I really just need to get this off my chest, so here goes...

Right before my car went out of warranty I had the CF trim spear replaced on the driver side as it was delaminating. (OEM CF absolutely SUCKs). They seemed to have done a nice job.

Flash forward a year and I remove the passenger door panel to replace the door pocket lids (replacing crappy OEM CF with leather). My car is a garage queen, low miles, and very very clean. I take the panel inside where the A/C is on and I lay it on the bed to replace the lids. No problems.

It wasn't until I had already ruined both my shirt AND the quilt my wife had on the bed, that I found the dealership, for whatever gawdforsaken reason, had dipped the tips of every flipping door panel clip into aluminum paste, the stuff I use on my centerlock wheels. That stuff does not wash out.

I have no idea what "lubicating" those parts does for the process, but I feel better for airing my grievances. I'm guilty of being stupid, as usual, but I've had door panels off numerous times on numerous cars, and never felt the need to lube the pins. fk!
Old 06-30-2015 | 12:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Wait a second. Just so I'm clear, you removed a door panel yourself, didn't take a look at what might be on said door panel with regard to glue/lube/grease/oil, ruined a shirt and quilt that came in contact with said door panel and somehow this is the dealer's fault? Why didn't you put it on a shop towel or shop/moving blanket? Why are you wearing nice clothes to monkey with your car? These are car parts not laundry. Usually, people don't put them on a bed. This sounds like negligence on your part.
Old 06-30-2015 | 02:05 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Wait a second. Just so I'm clear, you removed a door panel yourself, didn't take a look at what might be on said door panel with regard to glue/lube/grease/oil, ruined a shirt and quilt that came in contact with said door panel and somehow this is the dealer's fault? Why didn't you put it on a shop towel or shop/moving blanket? Why are you wearing nice clothes to monkey with your car? These are car parts not laundry. Usually, people don't put them on a bed. This sounds like negligence on your part.
I disagree with you. Sounds like stupidity to me. But I already confessed that.
Old 06-30-2015 | 02:33 PM
DC911S
Drifting

I'm guessing they did that to stop squeaks and rattles.
Old 06-30-2015 | 02:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The dealer service that bothers me is the car wash that is offered after a service appointmetn (petty, I know). If you're going to wash my car, then at least give it a good wash. They do a crappy job; so poor that I would almost rather have them skip the wash. The last time I had the car in for service, it had dirt on the doors that was missed, it wasn't completely dry and the top had lint all over it from the attempts to dry it. There were water spots on the window. C'mon man, this is a Porsche, not a Pontiac.
Old 06-30-2015 | 02:53 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Non of my fleet is a garage queen. I would suggest you not help me out. I put that silver anti seize paste on anything that will squeak, or seize. Don't put my wheel bolts, or brakes, or door locks, or wheel hubs, or bumper bolts, or exhaust bolts, on your bed comforter.
If I saw that paste on my door panel pins? I would think, "What a great job, I appreciate their attention to detail, those things always snap when I try and take them out."
I would put this in the, don't bring car crap into the house, category.
Glad to help with your therapy.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 07-03-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2015 | 03:26 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself ...
Old 06-30-2015 | 04:18 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The dealer service that bothers me is the car wash that is offered after a service appointmetn (petty, I know). If you're going to wash my car, then at least give it a good wash. They do a crappy job; so poor that I would almost rather have them skip the wash. The last time I had the car in for service, it had dirt on the doors that was missed, it wasn't completely dry and the top had lint all over it from the attempts to dry it. There were water spots on the window. C'mon man, this is a Porsche, not a Pontiac.
On top of that, they used the same dirty towel on multiple cars. I've gotten extra swirls from washes. I normally say no wash when I take mine in for service.
Old 06-30-2015 | 05:26 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
On top of that, they used the same dirty towel on multiple cars. I've gotten extra swirls from washes. I normally say no wash when I take mine in for service.
Not "normally say no" but always say NO CAR WASH - I have them write it on the service order and I also have printed a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper in 72 pitch font that says DO NOT WASH and I leave that on the dash.
Old 06-30-2015 | 05:34 PM
Linnm
Pro

My dealer knows after 20 years of servicing my cars NOT to wash them. Any dealer's typical "wash after service" is not a detail job. If you know it is a crappy wash or don't know how it is done, pass. $10 gets most things shipshape!
Old 06-30-2015 | 08:06 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Well, over the years....

1- Door dings. 2 in the last 2 visits.
2- Just replacing parts and hoping for the best. Zero diagnostic ability these days or to be more exact zero incentive to diagnose.
3- Car washes. Had a hood a few years ago completely mangled. Luckily or unluckily a chunk of ice fell on it shortly afterwards.
4- Not giving you updates.

Basically like the other person said, wanna do it right then do it yourself.
Old 06-30-2015 | 09:30 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Not "normally say no" but always say NO CAR WASH - I have them write it on the service order and I also have printed a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper in 72 pitch font that says DO NOT WASH and I leave that on the dash.
Coincidentally, this is exactly what I told the greeter and service advisor earlier today (and just re-iterated it in email), although I did forget to leave a note on the dash.

I did suggest that they could vacuum it twice.

P.S. I think that I'll go get the brand new Cayenne Diesel loaner dirty now...
Old 06-30-2015 | 09:35 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Over fill when changing oil.
How hard is it to add 6 quarts, start car, run, measure, add as required.
Old 07-01-2015 | 12:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

You should't put car parts on your bed, unless of coarse you're sleeping in the garage, then it's ok.
Old 07-01-2015 | 09:57 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

After ruining the quilt it's certainly a possibility!

Quick Reply: Dealer service pet peeves