Sponsored by:

Purchase Help/ Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 AM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Help/ Advice please

I just picked up an 08' C4S. It was advertised as having navigation. I even have the window sticker from the car claiming navigation as an optional item in the vehicle. The vehicle does not have navigation, however. I was able to get the build sheet from Porsche, no navigation listed.
The question is, how do I handle this?
I purchased the vehicle 3 days ago and was more interested during the test drive on how the engine sounded, clutch/ gearbox worked, etc. I did not turn on the nav until after I purchased and got her home.
Help!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:27 AM
circle h ranch
Rennlist Member

I might price the car with and without nav on kbb and nada. print out the reports and see if you can get the dealer to give you back the difference. You could also stop by the p dealer and get a quote to change to nav, I bet it's not cheap. I love nav but I rarely go anywhere I don't know where I am. Good luck I hope the dealer is nice about it don't forget the better business bureau can be a consumers best friend.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your state have a "cooling off" period law so you can return the car? Why didn't you take it back the next morning instead of waiting 3 days?
Old 06-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by circle h ranch
I might price the car with and without nav on kbb and nada. print out the reports and see if you can get the dealer to give you back the difference. You could also stop by the p dealer and get a quote to change to nav, I bet it's not cheap. I love nav but I rarely go anywhere I don't know where I am. Good luck I hope the dealer is nice about it don't forget the better business bureau can be a consumers best friend.
I can use google directions on my smart phone and I never have to update it. The nav was not going to be a deal breaker, but the price negotiated was assuming there was nav in the car. NADA adds $450 to the retail value and KBB adds $350. I am sure Porsche would charge $2-3k to upgrade the system to nav and rewire it. To me it would be more worthwhile to get the $400 back.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:59 AM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Redline911
Does your state have a "cooling off" period law so you can return the car? Why didn't you take it back the next morning instead of waiting 3 days?
Because I still want the car. It took me a long time to find "the one" and honestly I don't care if it has nav in it, just that I paid for it and didn't get it.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 AM
SJP3003
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nada and Kbb price differentials are a fair request. Another option would be to have them do a Tranzit Blu installation if your car does not have Bluetooth streaming. I use it in my 06 for Waze and music streaming (with a magnetic window mount for my phone to see the map) and don't miss the GPS I had on my first 997 at all. The value of the Tranzit Blu, installation plus a Logitech mount works out to about the same as the price differentials.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:27 AM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you don't really want it, I'd start with finding out how much it would cost for Porsche to upgrade the Nav and ask for this amount. The sel may balk at this at which point you can "settle" for the KBB NADA difference.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

I am a GM at a pre-owned dealer in CA. Dealers can and will make mistakes on advertised options. I would drive the car back down to the selling dealer (do not call), ask for the manager and explain the situation. Tell him/her what solution would satisfy you. Because you want to keep the car I would approach with the KBB values in hand and ask for that amount. If you ask for full retail amount for a Porsche installed Navi they may call your bluff and just unwind the deal (which you don't want). Worst case they tell you they will not do anything and that all options/accessories listed must be confirmed by buyer prior to sale (our website and autotrader/cars.com ect all have disclaimers like this). But they would never hold up in court so your last options would be to threaten litigation. If the dealer has been in business for a while they will know that it is never worth it to try and fight a customer in court. (I made this mistake once and ended up costing us more than the total price of the car) If the dealer agrees to go to litigation or maybe small claims in your case then you can ask for an amount equal to a Porsche installed Nav! Hope it all works out
Old 06-20-2015, 03:05 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get $400 back from the dealer I'd say you will be made whole. The Nav in the these cars is so unusable that maybe it's a good thing it didn't come with it. Also you won't get the value of the Nav when new in 2008. Technology like that doesn't hold value and I'd estimate the present value can't be worth more than a few hundred dollars. The phone in your pocket is 100 times a better navigational tool than the crap Porsche installed in 2008.

Last edited by mike9186; 06-20-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts
Default Purchase Help/ Advice please

I looked for a car without Nav when I bought mine. Having Nav would not have been a deal breaker, but the phone is a much better tool. See what the dealer can do. Use whatever you get back towards your first mods!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Since you don't really want it, I'd start with finding out how much it would cost for Porsche to upgrade the Nav and ask for this amount. The sel may balk at this at which point you can "settle" for the KBB NADA difference.

+1. They represented the car incorrectly and sold it based on that. You should ask them to bring it to the car they advertised. Then be ok with settling for the KBB Nada price delta ir the aftermarket device.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:12 PM
itwaresales
Cruisin'

Was it from a P dealer? If you don't care about nav ask for a couple of oil changes-I have found in these scenarios trading is much easier!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wasserkühlung
I am a GM at a pre-owned dealer in CA. Dealers can and will make mistakes on advertised options. I would drive the car back down to the selling dealer (do not call), ask for the manager and explain the situation. Tell him/her what solution would satisfy you. Because you want to keep the car I would approach with the KBB values in hand and ask for that amount. If you ask for full retail amount for a Porsche installed Navi they may call your bluff and just unwind the deal (which you don't want). Worst case they tell you they will not do anything and that all options/accessories listed must be confirmed by buyer prior to sale (our website and autotrader/cars.com ect all have disclaimers like this). But they would never hold up in court so your last options would be to threaten litigation. If the dealer has been in business for a while they will know that it is never worth it to try and fight a customer in court. (I made this mistake once and ended up costing us more than the total price of the car) If the dealer agrees to go to litigation or maybe small claims in your case then you can ask for an amount equal to a Porsche installed Nav! Hope it all works out
Thanks for the advice. I never considered asking for a $3000 nav system. I do think the price of the car was based on having a navigation system and was prices $400-500 higher. That's the rub in the situation. I want the car but feel they misrepresented it.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itwaresales
Was it from a P dealer? If you don't care about nav ask for a couple of oil changes-I have found in these scenarios trading is much easier!
Not a Porsche dealer, but a large well known dealership. I will not do business with them in the future. I am happy with the car and can't wait to start playing with it. I am thinking a cold air intake and a spin on oil filter mod first?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Schnell Bewegen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
+1. They represented the car incorrectly and sold it based on that. You should ask them to bring it to the car they advertised. Then be ok with settling for the KBB Nada price delta ir the aftermarket device.
Worst case scenario is they say no.

Quick Reply: Purchase Help/ Advice please