Sponsored by:

Tail Light scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:02 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
The scratches seem to be heavy near the engine hood and lightens to almost none near the pointed edge at the rear fender.
Maybe the heat from the engine?

Yves
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

It's a 2010. I tried scratching with fingernail but seriously with the way it looks I expect to feel it with the fingernails but the outside of the lens really feels smooth. That is why sometimes I feel it he scratches are on the inside. But if it's heat caused it might actually be in the lens. Which is why when I tried plastic polish, it wasn't too effective. Used novus system and with a lot of elbow push. Felt there was improvement but not really that significant.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicky rick
It's a 2010. I tried scratching with fingernail but seriously with the way it looks I expect to feel it with the fingernails but the outside of the lens really feels smooth. That is why sometimes I feel it he scratches are on the inside. But if it's heat caused it might actually be in the lens. Which is why when I tried plastic polish, it wasn't too effective. Used novus system and with a lot of elbow push. Felt there was improvement but not really that significant.
I think you're probably right they are spider cracks inside the lens. I'm not 100% sure of this but the rears should have a UV coating. You've certainly polished that off if you spent any amount of time on it. You may want to re-coat it or put some 3M on them otherwise they will haze from UV damage within 6-8 months. I only know this to be factual for the front lights but I have to assume the rears are the same.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree . The novus system has one kind of polish with a uv protection. I also hit the lens with plexus. I certainly hope that the polishing I tried won't cause yellowing in the future. If that happens at least it will give more reason to buy a new set.

Quick Reply: Tail Light scratches