997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Runs After Car Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015 | 11:48 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

I've only had my 997 for five months, but thus far, it's occurred three times, all in my garage (closed air space), and all after some peppy driving (extra heat). So while I'm not yet concerned, it's something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the suggestions on potential watch items - this never occurred in my 996, so was new to me.
Old 06-09-2015 | 05:55 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Never has happened to me either unless I was restarting the car after shutting it off after a long drive (pulling in for gas, getting food, etc.), but I would have to key the car on to ignition before the fan kicked on.

I said it in the other thread, but my old MINI would cycle the radiator and power steering cooler fans while parked and off.
Old 06-09-2015 | 10:09 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
Not driving it hard enough! This happens to me at the track. I've never had it happen to me while street driving. I must not be driving correctly!
That or it's the dang bitter cold north east - even in summer

Matt
Old 06-10-2015 | 10:21 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
The engine lid light does not shut off after 2h - exception to the rule - with the car unlocked; Im told it takes many more hours. I was not aware of the 20min shut off with remote locking good to know.
Not sure where you got your info but the load management/load switch-off feature DOES shut off the engine compartment light after 2 hours or so. Just checked it again - both hoods open and lights on...after 2+ hours both lights were off - 2012 GTS.
Old 06-11-2015 | 01:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Not sure where you got your info but the load management/load switch-off feature DOES shut off the engine compartment light after 2 hours or so. Just checked it again - both hoods open and lights on...after 2+ hours both lights were off - 2012 GTS.
In my car MY10 it does not, or at least it did not do it when I last tried it. I tried your suggestion - locking the car - and it does shut off the light after 20min. Great find!
Old 06-11-2015 | 03:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Just a general additional FYI. Most modern cars/trucks will run the radiator fan when the car is off if the engine compartment temps get too high. There is usually (if not always?) a warning sticker somewhere in the area of the radiator fan warning you about it. That has been the case for a least a decade and is the reason you never reach into the fan area of a car without the battery disconnected. Of course, our cars run hotter than most due to the high level of engine performance so you'll see it with our cars more often (especially here in Texas!)

Edit: Here is an example from a 94 Mustang

Old 06-11-2015 | 04:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Just a general additional FYI. Most modern cars/trucks will run the radiator fan when the car is off if the engine compartment temps get too high. There is usually (if not always?) a warning sticker somewhere in the area of the radiator fan warning you about it. That has been the case for a least a decade and is the reason you never reach into the fan area of a car without the battery disconnected. Of course, our cars run hotter than most due to the high level of engine performance so you'll see it with our cars more often (especially here in Texas!)

Edit: Here is an example from a 94 Mustang

The fan in the engine compartment won't run with the hood open...don't know about the front radiator fans though...but then I'm not sure how you would get your hand near those fans unless the bumper were off.
Old 06-11-2015 | 05:02 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The fan in the engine compartment won't run with the hood open...don't know about the front radiator fans though...but then I'm not sure how you would get your hand near those fans unless the bumper were off.
Agreed. It wasn't intended as a warning for our cars so much... it was just an potentially interesting trivia item and a safety warning about working on other cars in general since it seems to be a new concept to some folks.

Quick Reply: Fan Runs After Car Off