Sponsored by:

Space in the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Space in the car

I'm only a couple months into my 07 997 cabriolet, and my last car was a 2000 Boxster S.

Given that the Boxster was a two seater, I was surprised to find that the 997 seems to have a lot LESS space for my car stuff.

I used to carry a few things-- spare baseball caps, an interior and exterior california duster, a couple spare rags, none of which fit in the 997 well, but which fit behind the seats of the Boxster. My 997 doesn't have behind the seat pockets.

I use the back seats (kids)-- so my trade-off is obviously kids for stuff! But I was hoping to accommodate both. The rear trunk was very nice in the Boxster too.

So my long-winded question is this-- are there products/organizers/tips on how to cram stuff in the cabin?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not sure I understand.

With two car seats in a sports car there will always be lack of space.

Aren't you using the frunk?

If you have children's seats you can just put a textile bag on the rear floor since they are not using it anyway. I have a cab myself so I understand you don't want things flying around.

Also - You have quite spacious storage in the doors. Plenty of room for rugs, cloths etc. I guess thsee compartments were full of CD:s when these cars were new but I never use the CD (only streaming) so no need for storing those
Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by ric-ko
I'm only a couple months into my 07 997 cabriolet, and my last car was a 2000 Boxster S. So my long-winded question is this-- are there products/organizers/tips on how to cram stuff in the cabin?
Wow! Me too. I went from a 2000 Boxster S to a 2009 C2s..... and immediately had the same issue. The 911 has less usable storage space. So....

I just keep the rear seats down. With the seats down, you then will have two "cubbies" where I jam a bungee cord, rubber shoes, an umbrella, a towel, my Durametric cable, and some winter gloves and scarves. I can also put something I want to hide when I park such as a camera.

I toyed with the idea of removing the seats, but you are left with an odd hump and curved space. With the seats down, you have a nice flat shelf. However, stuff slides off of the shelf under hard braking. Porsche put a nice handle/stopper on the top of the seat to help with sliding... but it is not so good. So.... enter the bungee. When I haul my big Gitzo tripod w/wimberly head to go bouncing in the Jersey salt marshes (yes, I take my C2S!!), I strap it in with the bungee going across from seat hook to seat hook.

By the way, how to you compare the fun factor and handling between the two cars?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could buy the Porsche roof rack and carry a container of some sort to handle the extra stuff
Old 06-07-2015, 01:38 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Wow! Me too. I went from a 2000 Boxster S to a 2009 C2s..... and immediately had the same issue. The 911 has less usable storage space. So....

I just keep the rear seats down. With the seats down, you then will have two "cubbies" where I jam a bungee cord, rubber shoes, an umbrella, a towel, my Durametric cable, and some winter gloves and scarves. I can also put something I want to hide when I park such as a camera.

I toyed with the idea of removing the seats, but you are left with an odd hump and curved space. With the seats down, you have a nice flat shelf. However, stuff slides off of the shelf under hard braking. Porsche put a nice handle/stopper on the top of the seat to help with sliding... but it is not so good. So.... enter the bungee. When I haul my big Gitzo tripod w/wimberly head to go bouncing in the Jersey salt marshes (yes, I take my C2S!!), I strap it in with the bungee going across from seat hook to seat hook.

By the way, how to you compare the fun factor and handling between the two cars?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce-- The cars are definitely different beasts. Some things I miss about the 2000 Boxster S:

It's sound-- almost symphonic. My 997 doesn't compare (I think I have the stock exhaust-- will change when I have spare $$).

It's handling-- it was glue on the road and I never felt out of control. I can feel the rear end of the 911 get a bit loose periodically.

What I love about the 997:

The power. Very nice.

Backseats. I've kids to haul around.

The 997 interior is gorgeous, and I love the styling of the 4s (wide hips).

The 911 has always been my dream car-- glad to finally have one.

What's your take, Bruce?
Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 997 C2 without nav or a cd changer. I have a lot of room for microfiber towels, tire plug kit, lug-bolt wrench, etc. in the frunk compartment in front of the battery. The plastic cover just pops off.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I never even considered buying a Boxster or Cayman precisely because I have only one car and need a back seat even if it only comfortably fits small kids or dogs. I don't own a cab, so I don't worry about things in the rear footwells blowing out the car, and there is the rear package shelf, although I've never put anything either place. I have nothing in the console cubby, and the only thing in the door cubby is a compact umbrella on the driver's side. Even the glovebox is fairly empty, just my sunglasses, the turnpike-toll transponder, the owner's manual, and a pair of long tweezers to pluck the bits of deteriorating foam that get stuck behind the A/C vents. There's a ton of room in the frunk since there's no spare tire. I have repurposed a large camera bag as an organizer, I've got a bunch of supplies in there including jumper cables, and it fits in the bottom of the frunk with plenty of space on top for whatever else I might need to put in there.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ric-ko
Bruce-- The cars are definitely different beasts. Some things I miss about the 2000 Boxster S:

It's sound-- almost symphonic. My 997 doesn't compare (I think I have the stock exhaust-- will change when I have spare $$).

It's handling-- it was glue on the road and I never felt out of control. I can feel the rear end of the 911 get a bit loose periodically.

What I love about the 997:

The power. Very nice.

Backseats. I've kids to haul around.

The 997 interior is gorgeous, and I love the styling of the 4s (wide hips).

The 911 has always been my dream car-- glad to finally have one.

What's your take, Bruce?
Pretty much the same for me too. I think the Boxster was closer to a pure sports car and the handling was fabulous. The C2S is a bit soft and heavy.... definitely a grand tourer. However I love the power and the luxury is pretty darn easy to get used to. I am happy with both, but.... I liked the Boxster more. I too was very disapointed with the sound of the C2S so I installed the Sharkwerks X pipe and am happier. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ut-issues.html

Enjoy!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Pretty much the same for me too. I think the Boxster was closer to a pure sports car and the handling was fabulous. The C2S is a bit soft and heavy.... definitely a grand tourer. However I love the power and the luxury is pretty darn easy to get used to. I am happy with both, but.... I liked the Boxster more. I too was very disapointed with the sound of the C2S so I installed the Sharkwerks X pipe and am happier. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ut-issues.html

Enjoy!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce-- I absolutely LOVE the color of your 911-- my favorite on a P-car.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm sure if there were seat back pockets there would be ever more complaints from people about the intrusion into the already-small rear foot/knee space for any rear passengers and interference with rear seat ingress/egress as well. It makes sense to me for them to keep the seat backs as lean as possible, something that wasn't a concern for a true two seater.

As Racetwin2 and Ben Z note why wouldn't you just put a small bag either in the relatively cavernous frunk or in the back floor. That seems to work for 90% of the stuff you mention since you don't need much of that stuff while driving. The small number of things you might want quicker access to like a cap just stick it in the rear floor, arm rests, or glove box; you can reach them from the driver's seat easily.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Space in the car

Coming from a history of Z3's and M roadsters I find the storage in the 997 cab to be like having a pick up truck. I definitely have room for a couple baseball hats and some rags in there.

Personally I don't wear baseball hats, but I do roll pretty heavy. I typically have a backpack on one of the rear seats (yes, kids would take up more space, they come with stuff too, but kids aren't even an option in a Boxster or M Roadster) in the frunk I have 2 big amps, a tripod, hiking boots, first aid kit, spare oil, some rags & detail spray, beach blanket, maybe an extra camera bag, and the folded up windscreen, as well as sunshield for the windshield.

If there's a girl along, her bag fits on the back seat and if we're going to the track, I fold the seats down on top of our bags, and lay our folding track chairs and a small cooler on the shelf in the back.

When I get groceries I can carry 2 cases of water and three grocery bags in the frunk and still have the entire rest of the car for anything else.

Door pockets hold gum, extra sunglasses, PCA stuff, and hair ties for the girls that "forget".

Glove box holds more sunglasses, sunscreen, folding maps, fastrak, tire pressure gauge, and paperwork.

I have the umbrella in the passenger door sill.

Only thing I can't carry in my car that would be nice, is a guitar. If I had a smaller electric, it will fit up front on the passenger side without a case, but acoustic won't fit no how.

It never fit in the M Roadster either, so I will probably "have to" buy a Cayenne Turbo S (with panoramic roof please) if anyone wanted me to bring a guitar to the party.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Space in the car

Oh- regarding Boxster vs. Cab, I think the Boxster is an amazing car. I would imagine it must be notably nimbler than the 997, and I've certainly seen evidence of that on occasion along the coast, those little spyder ones seem to handle like little GT3's and can accelerate with surprising voracity. I'd LOVE to ride in one if anyone around here has one. (Namely that white one that tore past me near Steep Ravine the other night while I was futzing along behind some tourist trying to forget about work...)

That thing was a beast! Haha
Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Not a lot of spare room in my 997 either. Frunk can get full and so can the back seats.
Kids to school most mornings too.
Next one will have a hatch and wiper.
Attached Images    
Old 06-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Best idea yet! Go hillbilly!

My Boxster with bicycle rack....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bruced...mp/LUGGAGE.JPG

I am having an issue uploading pictures.... the % ticks up and then shows a blank picture. The program then loads the url but no picture displays.... any ideas?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Best idea yet! Go hillbilly!

My Boxster with bicycle rack....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bruced...mp/LUGGAGE.JPG

I am having an issue uploading pictures.... the % ticks up and then shows a blank picture. The program then loads the url but no picture displays.... any ideas?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I get the same if the picture has wrong format. If I open it on the phone of tablet and re-save it usually works. Not an easy workaround but......

Quick Reply: Space in the car