Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything wrong with this spacer/lug bolt set?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015 | 09:27 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Default Anything wrong with this spacer/lug bolt set?

Is there a good reason to bypass this relatively cheap spacer/bolt set in favor of the more expensive kit found at Pelican and other online stores?

Amazon.com: 2pc 15mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers (5x130 71.6) for Porsche with Silver Lug Bolts (14x1.5, 45mm Shank): Automotive Amazon.com: 2pc 15mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers (5x130 71.6) for Porsche with Silver Lug Bolts (14x1.5, 45mm Shank): Automotive
Old 06-05-2015 | 10:25 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

I have no experience either way with the brand you referenced. I've used H&R and ECS spacers with zero problems. There are many good brands out there.

Typically I prefer to use products that have at least a decent number of reviews and are a recognised brand. Particularly as it may only cost $20 - $50 more per pair, and you don't want to mess with fitment/balance issues on such a key part of your vehicle. Just my humble opinion
Old 06-05-2015 | 10:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

The only thing I notice is that they don't make any mention of specific grade of aluminum they use but maybe "aerospace grade" is good enough (?), nor do they say that the bolts have any corrosion resistance.

I bought my spacers and bolts from Adaptec, one of our sponsors (no affiliaton), and have been especially happy with the zinc coated bolts that have stayed nice and shiny for two years (with just routine cleaning). They aren't all that expensive either, but are made in America and do cost a little bit more. In either case, I would recommend getting a nylon-lined lug bolt socket to eliminate any chance of damage to the zinc coating or just any bolt/wheel surface. You can get these for roughly $20 on ebay, just search for 19mm Porsche lug bolt sockets and look for the ones that are lined.
Old 06-05-2015 | 11:04 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

It doesnt say anything about the bolts being hardened. They probably arent, and that is where they are cutting costs, while your safety is being sacrificed.

Whenever go with spacers and extended bolts (especially with something as big as a 15mm spacer) you need to use hardened bolts. They should have a stamping of 10.9 on the head, like these H&R bolts

I have used all kinds of spacers and hardware, and I always come back to H&R. There isnt a huge price difference, and you know they are quality and safe. ECS Tuning usually has the best prices on H&R spacers.
Old 06-05-2015 | 11:44 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Looks fine, probibly some lugs they had made for their own sales and probibly good quality, I would check ebay for other sets for similar price. They have lots of different mfg
Old 06-06-2015 | 12:06 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Didn't see any mention of actual country of origin. If truly from Europe they should state the country. I'd be a bit wary until I learned more about the quality and origin.
Old 06-06-2015 | 09:00 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halo777
It doesnt say anything about the bolts being hardened. They probably arent, and that is where they are cutting costs, while your safety is being sacrificed.

Whenever go with spacers and extended bolts (especially with something as big as a 15mm spacer) you need to use hardened bolts. They should have a stamping of 10.9 on the head, like these H&R bolts

I have used all kinds of spacers and hardware, and I always come back to H&R. There isnt a huge price difference, and you know they are quality and safe. ECS Tuning usually has the best prices on H&R spacers.
H&R are quality as are Brey-Krause and others. Your pictures though look like cone seat and the OEM wheels should use ball seat. I can't measure the taper angle using the pic to validate but look at this short video and see what you think.

Old 06-06-2015 | 10:39 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

LOL, you're funny. Yes, I know the difference between cone and ball seat. You are missing the entire point of my post.

The ones I posted arent for a Porsche. They are examples to show the stamping on a hardened bolt. When using longer bolts with spacers, you are supposed to use ones that are hardened

https://www.fastenal.com/en/76/metri...specifications
Old 06-06-2015 | 11:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halo777
LOL, you're funny. Yes, I know the difference between cone and ball seat. You are missing the entire point of my post.

The ones I posted arent for a Porsche. They are examples to show the stamping on a hardened bolt. When using longer bolts with spacers, you are supposed to use ones that are hardened

https://www.fastenal.com/en/76/metri...specifications
I figured you did...I posted so OP would know...and it is a Porsche forum so I didn't expect to see non-Porsche bolts.
Old 06-06-2015 | 11:34 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

ah, aok
Old 06-06-2015 | 11:37 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

If you run spacers just run a stud kit.

Quick Reply: Anything wrong with this spacer/lug bolt set?