Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Car Dual Camera DVR - The Holy Grail?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015 | 11:59 PM
Tymong
Track Day

Default In Car Dual Camera DVR - The Holy Grail?!

So I have wanted an "In Car Dual Camera DVR" for quite some time now.
I never could pull the trigger because they are all so big and bulky or are "over the rear view mirror" type which is not acceptable.

After hours of searching today, I found this:
http://www.spytecinc.com/k1s-1080p-d...amera-gps.html

Sounds too good to be true.

Please tell me someone has one of these and loves it!

I couldn't wait for feedback, I ordered it tonight.

(I have NO association with SpyTec or K1S.)

Ty
Old 05-30-2015 | 12:59 AM
Daohaus
Instructor

that's pretty neat, i like the smallness of the cameras. only thing is trying to figure out what to do w/ all that cabling since our cars aren't that big has to be stowed away somewhere
Old 05-30-2015 | 01:03 AM
Tymong
Track Day

HA! ya, I dont think installation is going to be fun.

I did have a thought later. I might be able to mount the rear facing camera to capture the important info as well as be able to tell when the spoiler is up!

I know it's stupid but it really annoys me that I cant tell when the spoiler is up or not.

Ty
Old 05-30-2015 | 01:24 AM
Daohaus
Instructor

LOL true, i solved that issue by installing a ducktail LOL, the other thought is to keep all the wiring in the back, since the front camera has 9.8ft you could route everything to back and have the head unit tucked away in the arm rest.
Old 05-30-2015 | 07:28 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

I have one of these installed in all of our cars.

Setup correctly they also work in "parking mode" - this saved us a $1000 (AUD) excess a year or so back when someone reversed repeatedly into my wife's parked car.

Very easy to install in the Porsche. The only issue being that the cig-lighter and accessory sockets are always powered, so you need to pickup an accessory (switched) power source from the fuse panel. I use this thing to supply power and control the parking timer.

I'm in Australia so bought mine here, but I am sure you can get one in the US.

Garmin and Uniden also make similar devices. They are not as neat as the Blackvue units and i don't need the LCD display.
Old 05-30-2015 | 09:26 PM
PTC_911S
Intermediate

Pretty cool technology. But after the novelty wears off not quite sure why one would want this?

Guess it's just not for me.
Old 05-31-2015 | 04:47 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Mmmmmmm....I've never been big on these things until recently. Friend of mine got a new Subaru and promptly installed one of these units: http://www.spytecinc.com/a118-c-1080...capacitor.html. It's fantastic and I'm buying one for each of my cars. For under 100 bucks including 64 gig SD card it's very affordable and it looks like just part of the mirror. He actually had an incident several weeks ago and the video recording is hilarious. The police cruiser several cars back that only saw part of the incident between him and a 4 series was notified on scene that he had it all on video. Long story short - he left the scene and the 4 series did not. It was just your usual road rage incident with the 4 series brake checking him and cutting him off 7 or 8 times in a short span despite the fact that he was actually doing nothing wrong as evidenced by the video.
Old 05-31-2015 | 06:38 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I just installed the Blakvue in my wife's car. It's was test and I'm about to order some for the rest of the cars. It's a small compact front & rear camera. The novelty is being able to prove who was in the wrong in the event of an accident.
My buddy had someone cut in front of him and lock up the brakes. He rear ended him. It was a matter of his word against the other guy's and since he rear ended him, it was considered his fault. The cop told him he should have had a dash cam because if it had captured the other guy unsafely lane changing and braking the fault would have shifted to the other guy. I think the trick is to not disclose it until the other party lies to the cops. That way they compromise their integrity and anything they say is suspect.
Old 06-03-2015 | 01:31 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rankoutsider
I have one of these installed in all of our cars.

Setup correctly they also work in "parking mode" - this saved us a $1000 (AUD) excess a year or so back when someone reversed repeatedly into my wife's parked car.
Whats "parking mode"? Will it power on and record when motion is detected or similar?
Old 06-03-2015 | 01:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Kim Kommando sells in car cameras as well.
Old 06-03-2015 | 02:34 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Whats "parking mode"? Will it power on and record when motion is detected or similar?

Yes parking modes will activate recording if the g sensor is triggered. It's really a set and forget device. After 10 minutes of non movement, it switches to parking mode. Once you start driving again, it re enables regular recording. It goes in a loop and will just record over the data but will protect incidents that trigger the sensors in case you get home and notice that dent in your rear quarter panel.

Quick Reply: In Car Dual Camera DVR - The Holy Grail?!