Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left rear tail light issue I can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015 | 01:52 PM
Lee60821
Rennlist Member

Default Left rear tail light issue I can't figure out

I have a 2009 4S with Orem led tail lights. My drivers side tail light stays on even with ignition off, key removed. My turn signal is in neutral setting, rear fog light not activated, headlight **** in off position.
It stays on 24/7 I have tried every position on the head light ****, every position of turn signal lever.
The only light that is on is the drivers side rear tail light, no drl's, headlights, interior lights etc...

I would greatly appreciate hearing if anyone else has experienced this issue and what fixed.

Thanks!!!

And a big Thank You all that has served this great nation on Memorial Day!
Old 05-25-2015 | 04:57 PM
Linnm
Pro

Did you inadvertently pull the headlight **** out 1 notch? If so, push it in
Old 05-25-2015 | 05:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Linnm
Did you inadvertently pull the headlight **** out 1 notch? If so, push it in
"My turn signal is in neutral setting, rear fog light not activated, headlight **** in off position."
Old 05-26-2015 | 03:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

By Orem, are you saying "OEM" like Original equipment manufacturer?

Has anyone been into them to change a wire?
Old 05-26-2015 | 11:26 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Did this start happening out of the blue?
Old 05-27-2015 | 06:04 PM
Lee60821
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your replies and I am sorry it took me so long to get back with you.
Yes OEM tail lights, not aftermarket. No work (to my knowledge) has ever been done to the wiring or tail lights.
Yes this happened out of the blue. One morning went out to the garage and I noticed the reflection on my garage door. I figured I left my turn signal on when I shut off the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 05-27-2015 | 06:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lee60821
Thank you for your replies and I am sorry it took me so long to get back with you.
Yes OEM tail lights, not aftermarket. No work (to my knowledge) has ever been done to the wiring or tail lights.
Yes this happened out of the blue. One morning went out to the garage and I noticed the reflection on my garage door. I figured I left my turn signal on when I shut off the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
The lights are easy enough to remove so maybe check the wire harness connection. Also might swap light fixtures left to right and see if problem stays with the light fixture itself or with the location.
Old 05-27-2015 | 06:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

did this happen perhaps after a big rain storm? i am wonder if a small amount of water may have gotten into underneath your driver seat and somewhat effected the rear control module.
Old 05-28-2015 | 05:03 PM
Lee60821
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the idea guys!! I have had a heck of a time trying to log on here over the last few days.
I will try the passenger side light and see if the issue still exists first then explore the control unit. I am in Texas so yes it was after a lot of rain. I felt all under the drivers seat and nothing was damp but will explore it further if the other lights does the same.
Thank you!
Old 05-28-2015 | 05:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Your not clear on which bulb it is?
Brake bulb?
Fog bulb?
turn signal bulb?
Is there not a micro switch at the brake peddle? Does that need a lube? can that be disconnected to take that option off of the list?
Old 05-28-2015 | 07:08 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

There is a European requirement that the left tail light remain lit when car is parked. Not sure but the setting is probably somewhere in the options menu. Check to see if you inadvertently turned it on. I once activated the speed notification setting and it drove me crazy until I figured out what was going on.
Old 05-30-2015 | 12:52 PM
Lee60821
Rennlist Member

Switches tail lights same problem. Looked all over in options menu and didn't find anything. No moisture under drivers seat at all.
I also noticed the license plate light stay on with the drivers side tail light.
Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2015 | 10:48 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpjli2
There is a European requirement that the left tail light remain lit when car is parked. Not sure but the setting is probably somewhere in the options menu. Check to see if you inadvertently turned it on. I once activated the speed notification setting and it drove me crazy until I figured out what was going on.
This is only the case if the turn signal stalk is left in the left turn signal position when the car is turned off. OP stated that he has checked to make sure the turn signal stalk is centered so this doesn't explain his problem.
Old 06-01-2015 | 02:07 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StormRune
This is only the case if the turn signal stalk is left in the left turn signal position when the car is turned off. OP stated that he has checked to make sure the turn signal stalk is centered so this doesn't explain his problem.
If the stalk mechanism was malfunctioning would that explain the license plate remaining lit ie is that part of the European spec?
Old 06-01-2015 | 08:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpjli2
If the stalk mechanism was malfunctioning would that explain the license plate remaining lit ie is that part of the European spec?
It's not a Euro spec - works on US cars too. What Storm is saying is that if you shutdown your car with the turn signal lever pushed down the left (driver's) side front and rear parking lights will illuminate even on US-spec'd cars. The feature is a result of Euro rules and narrow roads and works on both Euro and US 911's...even 20 year old 911's. AFAIK, the feature does not illuminate license plate - I'll have to check.

Checked: License plate lights do not illuminate just the front and rear parking lights. Feature also works on right (passenger) side too.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 06-01-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Left rear tail light issue I can't figure out