Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I went shopping for my car on a business trip to Tokyo ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015 | 01:20 PM
Para82
Race Car

Meh

Last edited by Para82; 06-02-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2015 | 02:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carmichael

IMAGE.

On the Ashinoko Skyline road. Great view of Fuji-san from this rest stop, driving one of the most underrated cars made today.
Awesome. My favorite.

(I'm biased though. Drive an STi. shhhh.)

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-28-2015 | 07:18 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Awesome. My favorite.

(I'm biased though. Drive an STi. shhhh.)

-Luccia

Thanks!

I really like the newer 4 door STis, but I have had no less than three out of four friends who have nuked their engines (and most of them were stock, or only had a catback and/or an ECU tune). That scared me away from them ...
Old 05-28-2015 | 07:56 PM
blakecam
Pro

I saw this when I was in Tokyo Roppongi district in April.

Old 05-28-2015 | 07:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks!

I really like the newer 4 door STis, but I have had no less than three out of four friends who have nuked their engines (and most of them were stock, or only had a catback and/or an ECU tune). That scared me away from them ...
The 2008's are the years that had sever ringland failures that happened around 30-50k miles. Otherwise, I haven't heard really of any other year STi's having issues as dramatic as those years. I think the hawkeye's (2006-2007) had an issue semi similar, but can't remember what was said. I, unfortunately, killed my first motor due to a naive mistake so I cannot blame Subaru for my loss. If you keep up with the maintenance and properly modify them, you shouldn't have an issue. Proper, not cheap, modifications are what a lot of STi owners fail to do. The 2015 STi's are amazing. Subaru finally built a chassis to handle the power. It almost handles it too easily and could use more power now.

I have the first gen STi that came to the states, 2004. Has a fun history, but this is me and my baby.

-Luccia
Old 06-02-2015 | 03:05 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Nice! A good friend of mine has an '04 STi as well. Same color. He's blown the motor up twice now (both times owing to operator error ... and a Chinese turbo), he's on his third build. My other racing buddies with STis had '08s, '09s and '10s, respectively. The only guy with an original motor is my buddy with a 2010, and he likes to pick on my '92 Talon AWD for being an unreliable DSM.

blakecam, a 918 in Roppongi isn't much of a surprise. It's the Beverly Hills of Japan! I actually ran into Shinichi Morohoshi while I was hanging out in Asakusabashi ...

Old 06-02-2015 | 04:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice! A good friend of mine has an '04 STi as well. Same color. He's blown the motor up twice now (both times owing to operator error ... and a Chinese turbo), he's on his third build. My other racing buddies with STis had '08s, '09s and '10s, respectively. The only guy with an original motor is my buddy with a 2010, and he likes to pick on my '92 Talon AWD for being an unreliable DSM.
PSM! Greatest color ever! Hides all my dings and scratches. I never wanted a silver car, until I owned this one.

Operator error and poorly built bolt on's are almost always why these motors pop! Unfortunately, from the factory, the internals in these motors are not that stout and cannot handle much more than what they put down from factory. Not like Evo's that is for sure. That's also why I built my motor when I put my GTX3071R on. haha.. I remember always having Talon guys pull up next to me and revving their engines at me. Must be a Subaru vs. Talon thing. Although those suckers can be quite the sleepers.

-Luccia

Quick Reply: So I went shopping for my car on a business trip to Tokyo ...