Sponsored by:

downshift to first gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:29 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
When downshifting to 1st while going over 15mph or so, it's nice for the equipment to double-clutch rev match (put it in neutral, release clutch pedal, blip throttle to match revs to road speed, press clutch and select first gear, release clutch and give gas as needed to be smooth).

I'm assuming we're talking 6M here. PDK should downshift to 1st without issue.
Used to do this all the time with my S2K. Even with double clutching my 911 is tough to get into first while rolling. Might be because I have the ssk?
Old 05-14-2015, 04:20 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mario Andretti once said, "Most people take the slow turns to fast and the fast turns to slow." The only time I'd ever use first gear is in the pits, on the way to the grid, and at the start. From then on the car shouldn't be going slow enough to use first...except maybe in a tiptronic.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I had a MINI too, an 02 Cooper S with JCW package. Great handling car. Wish mine had an LSD. I only drove it for about 9-10 months before selling it. Washer fluid tank was waaay too small for winter use, and of course the trunk was laughable, but it was very fun to drive. Loved the supercharger whine. I remember reading an article at about the same time that I initially got the car back in 05 that F1 spark plugs cost about $50-100 each. The previous owner of the JCW (my buddy's uncle) had done a recent service, and the plugs cost $65 each! Nuts.
LOL what?! I got the JCW-spec spark plugs off Amazon for $6 or $8 each!!! I know the local MINI dealer was charging $128/hr for labor, and they wouldn't prorate their labor charges. Yes, they wanted to charge me $128 for two minutes worth of work to scan my ECU for a recurring fault.

I broke the hearts of many a Z06/M3/997 GT3/Exige driver in that car during the dozens of autocrosses I ran, though. If it were more reliable, I probably wouldn't have sold it.

The Quaife ATB diff was the best thing I'd done to that car, second only to the DINAN suspension kit.

Back on topic, you shouldn't have to double-clutch into first gear if you rev-match correctly.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I had the most fun in the MINI just buzzing around town. Very easy to park too! I recall Boxing Day shopping that winter, and watching all the big lumbering SUVs and pickups clogging up the mall parking lot. The MINI was cake to park.

If I remember right, I think I would downshift to first on the roll in my S2k as well. But only when I had the stock gears. Later I went to an AP2 transmission and mated to an aftermarket ring and pinion, 4.44s I think, and never needed to go into first again. I wish there was an easy way to shorten the gears in the 997. On the S2k it was cake, just throw in a new pumpkin, and there were cheap aftermarket speedo calibration electronics.

Quick Reply: downshift to first gear?