Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw a Prius...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 PM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're not doing too bad, folks! I came back from DC to W-S yesterday. I reset my MPG when I stopped for gas because I just wanted to know. Drove 80 most of the way and averaged 24.8. What's wrong with That!?!? Best of both worlds in my opinion!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:11 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by php
I don't mind a Prius. I think they are great cars for what they are trying to achieve...which is basically to save gas and be a reliable transportation, nothing else. I don't understand why all the bashing about them. Different cars serve different purposes, and none is trying to pretend to be something they're not.
The issue for me is that these people driving them think they are saving the environment by driving one. The fact is when you look at the full life cycle if a Prius it is one of the most environmentally damaging vehicles on the road. They ignore what it takes to make the battery and depose of it. A study showed it is worse than an H2.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
The issue for me is that these people driving them think they are saving the environment by driving one. The fact is when you look at the full life cycle if a Prius it is one of the most environmentally damaging vehicles on the road. They ignore what it takes to make the battery and depose of it. A study showed it is worse than an H2.
This. Cradle to grave analysis and resultant moonscapes in Canada are a good reason to not own one of these cars. Give me a highway and a warmed up motor and I have pulled 30 mpg several times with my 2010 4S. Truly the best of all worlds IMHO.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Reminds me of years ago when I passed a Honda with the custom plate "MAXMPG." I sorta wished mine said something like "MAXFUN."
Old 05-16-2015, 03:57 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by php
I don't mind a Prius. I think they are great cars for what they are trying to achieve...which is basically to save gas and be a reliable transportation, nothing else. I don't understand why all the bashing about them. Different cars serve different purposes, and none is trying to pretend to be something they're not.

+1
Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Hum, do Prius drivers really think that way? Well if I buy a Prius the only thing I'm thinking about is to save money both from saving gas and being reliable....so I could have more money and spend it on another Porsche! Lol.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:42 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by php
Hum, do Prius drivers really think that way? Well if I buy a Prius the only thing I'm thinking about is to save money both from saving gas and being reliable....so I could have more money and spend it on another Porsche! Lol.
I bought a Prius last summer, not because of some eco-agenda, but because my commute can be a bear, and I wasn't excited about continuing to subject my 911 to it every day. I wanted something cheap and reliable with great gas mileage. The Prius is basically a golf cart with doors and zero driving pleasure, but it's a total point-and-shoot car, which is fine for sitting in insane traffic. I may be one of the few people that could put a "My other car is a Porsche" bumper sticker on it and have it be true! I look at as a life-extender for my 911, which I'm happy to reserve for fun driving. I'll start taking it every day again when the traffic dies down this summer.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cluster_fsck
I bought a Prius last summer, not because of some eco-agenda, but because my commute can be a bear, and I wasn't excited about continuing to subject my 911 to it every day. I wanted something cheap and reliable with great gas mileage. The Prius is basically a golf cart with doors and zero driving pleasure, but it's a total point-and-shoot car, which is fine for sitting in insane traffic. I may be one of the few people that could put a "My other car is a Porsche" bumper sticker on it and have it be true! I look at as a life-extender for my 911, which I'm happy to reserve for fun driving. I'll start taking it every day again when the traffic dies down this summer.
Don't waste another day of your life in that Prius, sell it now and buy something else. Just my suggestion for a better living.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:48 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Did you test drive a Mini? There ARE a lot of choices that sound better than what your describe your Prius ownership as.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

. Most people don't understand how things work and unforeseen consequences and costs. They understand what people want them to understand and surface pseudo-environmentalism. That electricity is probably coming from a coal burning plant. But we don't want to dissapoint Mr. Al Gore with our contribution to global warming as he fills up his private jet.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:09 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

.........................That,s Gold ...............

Quick Reply: Saw a Prius...