Driving a Ferrari 360 Modena today

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh bull****, as usual.

Ferraris are nice to drive. No argument (unless you don't like to rev over 4k to get any power).

They are temperamental. Your anecdotal experience with a 30 year old 308 has precisely dick to do with modern ownership.

360s have expensive issues ON TOP of the expensive maintenance. Cracking headers (can lead to major engine repairs), cam variators, sticky interiors, F1 pumps/actuators, short lived clutches, etc.

Obviously the cost of these repairs is one thing, but for me personally, these are items that should not fail so quickly. Back in the 80s, a ferrari blew away most other cars in performance so you at least had justification for the silly repairs. In 2001, a stone reliable corvette Z06 was right next to a 360 in performance and requires none of that crap. You may get lucky and have a reliable 360 or you may get one that asks for $10k or more per year in repairs.

Btw, your comment about the interior quality of a 308 compared to a 964 and 993 is so laughable I don't even know what to say.
You've obviously never driven a Ferrari if you even remotely compare it to a Z06. Corvette and Ferrari never belong in the same sentence. Your comments compare performance, which logic suggests a Vette is just about the best car in the world-- and if price is weighted in the equation, then the Vette is absolutely without competition. This logic is flawed, much like your arguments. Driving a Ferrari is like driving nothing else-- regardless of performance. If you never have had the pleasure, then please stop your senseless comparison to a f'n Chevrolet!!!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Oh, and btw, our bullet proof 911 never experience issues like IMS, rattling sun roofs, or melting brand new engines. But those Ferraris, geesh, so unreliable and expensive...
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
You've obviously never driven a Ferrari if you even remotely compare it to a Z06. Corvette and Ferrari never belong in the same sentence. Your comments compare performance, which logic suggests a Vette is just about the best car in the world-- and if price is weighted in the equation, then the Vette is absolutely without competition. This logic is flawed, much like your arguments. Driving a Ferrari is like driving nothing else-- regardless of performance. If you never have had the pleasure, then please stop your senseless comparison to a f'n Chevrolet!!!
I've driven a 355 extensively, a 360 for about an hour, and a test drive in a 430. I've been a passenger in a 550/575 also.

I get it. There is some appeal there. But realistically, they are built up to be something so spectacular that I've been disappointed every time.

Aww honey, don't get your panties into a bunch because of the corvette comparison. A C5 Z06 is a better performance car than the 360 ferrari. Is it as nice inside or are the materials as exotic? course not. But it goes fast, corners hard, stops well, and sounds good. And it does it reliably and for about a quarter of the price.

If you care more about snob appeal, the F1 relationship, and the flat plane crank sound, perhaps the 360 is for you. But to think a 360 is far and away a better car to drive than a corvette is ludacris.

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Oh, and btw, our bullet proof 911 never experience issues like IMS, rattling sun roofs, or melting brand new engines. But those Ferraris, geesh, so unreliable and expensive...
IMS issues are rare percentage wise, but I agree, thats unacceptable.

Rattling sunroofs? Lets see, header failure causing $30k engine rebuild or a rattling sunroof. I wonder which one I'd prefer.

Melting brand new engines was discovered and promptly fixed. Oh and like ferraris are not constantly on fire either.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicle...ari-360-Modena

This is the nicest example I can find for the money. I noticed the front right headlight is blurry. Was wondering why no one had fixed that so I did some research on getting a new headlight assembly just for fun. 2k..per headlight.

I have another car in Silicon Valley, I was reviewing the receipts - In 2013 the owner took it into the Ferrari dealership to have the F1 transmission rebuilt....27k.

I'm suddenly appreciating my current set up a lot more. Still have my eye open but good examples are rare.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:14 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

6MT is the way to go on Ferraris that have that available.

The premium to F1 transmissions, however, is widening faster than even I anticipated...
Old 05-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I've driven a 355 extensively, a 360 for about an hour, and a test drive in a 430. I've been a passenger in a 550/575 also.

I get it. There is some appeal there. But realistically, they are built up to be something so spectacular that I've been disappointed every time.

Aww honey, don't get your panties into a bunch because of the corvette comparison. A C5 Z06 is a better performance car than the 360 ferrari. Is it as nice inside or are the materials as exotic? course not. But it goes fast, corners hard, stops well, and sounds good. And it does it reliably and for about a quarter of the price.

If you care more about snob appeal, the F1 relationship, and the flat plane crank sound, perhaps the 360 is for you. But to think a 360 is far and away a better car to drive than a corvette is ludacris.

IMS issues are rare percentage wise, but I agree, thats unacceptable.

Rattling sunroofs? Lets see, header failure causing $30k engine rebuild or a rattling sunroof. I wonder which one I'd prefer.

Melting brand new engines was discovered and promptly fixed. Oh and like ferraris are not constantly on fire either.

Now, that statement makes me speechless! And, please, if you're gonna use big words on me like ludicrous, learn how to spell them first.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure Luda's a Ferrari guy ...
Old 05-14-2015, 04:17 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A high end car...like a Porsche or a Ferrari or an Aston Martin etc., is no different than a high end hooker. You're getting screwed...which is what you asked for. If you can't smile, don't blame the car or the girl.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
A high end car is no different than a high end hooker. You're getting screwed...which is what you asked for. If you can't smile, don't blame the car or the girl.
That's ... Actually quite poignant.

I feel like this belongs etched in a marble plaque, placed right in the entrance to every Porsche showroom.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
That's ... Actually quite poignant.

I feel like this belongs etched in a marble plaque, placed right in the entrance to every Porsche showroom.
I do too, i'm calling the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta right now and requesting that this be put on all the doors and bathroom stalls.

Quick Reply: Driving a Ferrari 360 Modena today