Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm think I am going to have the IMS bearing replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Jossue
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 997 build date of 10/04 it's coming up on 60k I have not done the bearing update/ replacement and I honestly don't think about it at all, it is my only vehicle in Chicago and I track it at least once a year. What I'm getting at is that paranoia will get most of all people who are uninformed forums do not help, I have had three EVO's and everyone complained about something like the sst transmission or the weak clutch etc, just drive the car enjoy it at the end it's a machine.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 PM
jkycia
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Why do these threads keep resurfacing, there are thousands of them lol just ridiculous"

Sorry for starting this. This stupid issue is just worrying. In my case, I was asking whether my
car is in a very high risk category because 1. the previous driver did not drive much and 2. I do not expect
to drive much.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's the later bearing then I am very skeptical it will cost only $3000 to upgrade it as the engine has to come out of the car and the case halves separated. IF it needs a clutch then at least there's some justification for dropping the transmission to see what bearing it actually has, and IF it's the larger one then MAYBE consider having the seal removed so it gets splash lubrication.

Mine's a late '04 build and has the smaller, replaceable bearing. At the time there was no official list of VIN's, but the clutch was very stiff (32K miles, apparently the previous owner was rough on it) and so I felt it was worth having that and the the LN ceramic bearing done. My original bearing came out in perfect condition (32K miles) so maybe it would've lasted forever and maybe not. I have almost 30K on the LN bearing thus far, plus I've got an exclusionary warranty for almost another 2 years. When it expires, IF I choose to keep the car, I MAY have the Single Row Pro installed. The terms of my warranty require oil changes every 6 mos or 5K miles, which in my case means every 3K miles. As I understand it, that helps the LN bearing last longer too. I also tend to keep the revs above 2500, which also helps. At some point it comes down to, if you worry about it to the point you don't enjoy using the car, why own it?
Old 05-09-2015, 10:44 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jkycia
Awrryann

No, my understanding is that the bigger bearing were put in on the later part of 2005 models.
Mine should have the bigger ones that are a big deal to replace...but then are hopefully more robust.
I will just drive it, change the oil regularly and have the oil tested.
Could be. I'm going by memory.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:23 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
since you have a late 05 and most likely the larger bearing, you have to split the case in order to replace the bearing. That's expensive and complicated.
A replacement engine is crazy expensive. I think they're going for around $20k USD for a short block.
I have run the numbers regarding replacing an engine vs. getting into a 997.2 and the cost isn't worth it for me at this point. If my engine blows, it will suck but I'll survive. My wife will be pissed but I can get a new engine.
If you lost your engine there are more choices today on how to repair or replace than ever before. And it doesn't have to be "crazy expensive." It won't be cheap...but again you'll have several options.

More important...relax and enjoy the car just as the factory made it. Even if you are driving infrequently I would change the oil every 4 to 5K miles or every six months...which ever comes first.

Quick Reply: I'm think I am going to have the IMS bearing replaced