Sponsored by:

Close call today on 101N in the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Close call today on 101N in the Bay Area

While following (10 car lenghts) a lifted RAM brodozer on 101 N today at Burlingame, traffic came to an abrupt halt.

Luckily, I was (a) driving at a distance and (b) managing the distance of the following Xterra. I matched the braking effort of the RAM and kept the same distance cushion, putting the Xterra under similar braking effort.

As the RAM rammed the slowing Voyager rental minivan at about 50 mph, it bounced it into the number two lane, showering the freeway with its rear tailgate glass. As the approiately named RAM came to a stop, it was half in both the number 1 and 2 lane, so I had to come to a complete stop in between it and the crash barrier with the Xterra coming to a complete stop behind us both in lane 1. I sat there nervous for about 10 seconds waiting for someone to rear end the Xterra, which thankfully didn't happen.

Once traffic was at a complete standstill, I called 911 (from my 911), and was able to exit my car to inspect for damage from debris. Thankfully, I got away scott free. Keep your distance everyone, and don't forget to manage the traffic behind you!

Last edited by z3mcoupe; 05-03-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:02 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey Ronan, good to hear.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are OK! I'll bet your heart was racing at 200 beats per minute. Cheers!

-Lila and Darren from the dyno test in Fremont, black on black 2011 Carrera S cab.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Hey Ronan, good to hear.
Originally Posted by dalancroft
Glad to hear you are OK! I'll bet your heart was racing at 200 beats per minute. Cheers!

-Lila and Darren from the dyno test in Fremont, black on black 2011 Carrera S cab.
Thanks everyone. You tend to forget how quickly these cars can stop, which is in our favor. Just got to make sure that no one is following too closely...

Hope to see you all on a NorCAL drive soon.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Thanks everyone. You tend to forget how quickly these cars can stop, which is in our favor. Just got to make sure that no one is following too closely...

Hope to see you all on a NorCAL drive soon.
Hey Ronan, glad that you avoided the mess and you and your new ride are unscathed!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: driving in the SF Bay Area is a contact sport for many people here, especially those in brodozers (lol) and other variations on that theme.

Be safe and I too hope that we get to have a parade soon...
Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

June 1!!!!!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

I just bought a dash cam due to all of the idiots on the road here in the Bay Area. I'm almost hit on a daily basis it seems. I'm glad you were safe and congrats on having a car that can help avoid accidents. Thankfully the Xtera had enough stopping room.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

A toast to June 1 and the open road. Glad to hear you were able to see forward and reverse at the same time. Here's to cushion zones!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:40 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
This is key. In traffic I tend to drive the rearview as much as the front view for exactly that reason - all my cars stop better than the greta majority of vehicles on the road. When I feel someone is too close behind me I have no issue with turning the emergency flashers on; those usually yield a wider space from the vehicle behind me.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been hit by cars twice since living in the bay area, both times I got rear ended while stopped, not in the 993, thankfully!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a similar, "almost" story.
Was going to turn left at a traffic light. Two lanes south, no left turn lane. I had my indicator on for two blocks and slowing to a stop. Waiting to turn safely, looking for a whole in traffic coming north. Scanning mirrors I observed the car behind me not slowing. Floored the go peddle and dumped the clutch.
Wife yelled at me... what the %^#% are you doing?
Approaching car looked up from texting, she veered hard right and boom, into the right lane car.
Driving really is a 360 sport.
Phone down and hands on the wheel people.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you live in N. California, you know how bad Highway 101 is. Constant construction with concrete barriers right at the very edge of your lane for miles and some of the worst and most distracted drivers in the state. Tailgating, weaving, texting and often, in my experience, hostile behavior to Porsche drivers.

My girlfriend commutes north each work day on this jammed highway and has been rear-ended twice in the last few years. No harm to her, just a pain in the backside process to get her shiny BMW repaired and two collision notes on her car's record.

I have lost two front windows on that road and go out of my way to avoid it, due to potholes, rocks and trucks and the aforementioned nut-jobs.

If you from out of the area, take parallel US 280, if possible, from San Jose to San Francisco.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:52 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Glad you avoided injury to yourself or the Pcar. I always keep a cushion between me and the car in front of me, but I can't do much about the tailgaters. I always think to myself "I sure hope your car can stop as fast as mine can" but unfortunately we know the answer to that one.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:53 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
I've been hit by cars twice since living in the bay area, both times I got rear ended while stopped, not in the 993, thankfully!
Same thing happened to me on Mowry in Fremont, 4-lane road, 100% visibility. Lifted my foot off the gas for an impending stoplight, which about 4-5 cars in each lane were already stopped at, and BOOM! Rear-ended by a young Indian woman in a full ladder-on-frame Jeep Cherokee. She was paying more attention to her young child in the back than her driving. Needless to say, my nearly 10-year-old Audi A6 Avant was a total wreck.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess why I just sold my '65 356C….. If I ever got rear ended, the engine would be in the frunk and they don't stop like their newer brethren!

Quick Reply: Close call today on 101N in the Bay Area