Sponsored by:

Key Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key Issue

Anyone have this happen ? My key number 1 will open the doors and the trunk, and gets identified on the dash as key number 1, but won't start the car. Key number 2 does everything.

Is there a solution other than to buy a new key? ($$$)
Old 04-22-2015, 09:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the transponder is out of sync or went bad. You could try to have the dealer reprogram (sync) the key. If that won't work, you probably need a new key.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ralt12
Anyone have this happen ? My key number 1 will open the doors and the trunk, and gets identified on the dash as key number 1, but won't start the car. Key number 2 does everything.

Is there a solution other than to buy a new key? ($$$)
I believe buried somewhere in this forum is a procedure to re-initialize the transponder - IIRC it involves a sequence of key in ignition turns - sorry I don't remember it - maybe someone will and post.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I believe buried somewhere in this forum is a procedure to re-initialize the transponder - IIRC it involves a sequence of key in ignition turns - sorry I don't remember it - maybe someone will and post.
From what I remember.. stick the key in the ignition.. turn it to second position.. hold down the lock/unlock button until you see a red light flash on the dash. Do this for both keys.

Happened when I replaced the battery on one of my keys.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s4alex
From what I remember.. stick the key in the ignition.. turn it to second position.. hold down the lock/unlock button until you see a red light flash on the dash. Do this for both keys.

Happened when I replaced the battery on one of my keys.
Sounds familiar...BTW the battery in the key has nothing to do with the transponder chip. You can remove the battery and key will still work (assuming transponder chip is OK and sync'd).
Old 04-23-2015, 05:42 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No luck. Can't seem to recycle the transponder or reset it. Think it's new key time, though its a little irksome to have the thing and not have it work. I mean, that's why they call them keys, right ?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:47 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Sounds familiar...BTW the battery in the key has nothing to do with the transponder chip. You can remove the battery and key will still work (assuming transponder chip is OK and sync'd).
I thought the transponder only worked with the ignition so that you can't start the car, however, lock and unlock was on the electronics of the key.

I could be totally wrong, I am assuming the keys in the 997 are similar to the keys in my Audi.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s4alex
I thought the transponder only worked with the ignition so that you can't start the car, however, lock and unlock was on the electronics of the key.

I could be totally wrong, I am assuming the keys in the 997 are similar to the keys in my Audi.
True statements...but battery in remote only provides power to remote - no power to the transponder chip. Think of the valet key that Porsche used to ship with the car - just a plastic key with a transponder chip imbedded, no battery and obviously no remote.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM
s4alex
Instructor

True statements...but battery in remote only provides power to remote - no power to the transponder chip. Think of the valet key that Porsche used to ship with the car - just a plastic key with a transponder chip imbedded, no battery and obviously no remote.
Yeah, this was my problem. When my battery died, my keys lost its memory. Hence why I was unable to lock/unlock. The car was still able to be started, I just could not get into the car.

I think the sync routine I listed was just to re-sync the lock/unlock.

Quick Reply: Key Issue