997.2 GTS Exhaust Tips "corrosion"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Pat S.
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997.2 GTS Exhaust Tips "corrosion"

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2012 C4GTS in the UK with 12,000miles. It is immaculate apart from the exhaust tips.
The black alloy shrouds are ok but the silver finish on the inners is patchy. I asked the dealer to sort the tips out and it appears they tried to polish them.
From research it appears they are stainless which is chromed and then nano coated. The chrome appears to have been eaten away in patches on mine.
They look scabby and spoil the appearance of the car.
Has anyone succeeded in getting these replaced under the Porsche warranty? They are a very expensive part and I think the finish on mine is faulty. Certainly unacceptable.
Anyone had similar problem and a satisfactory solution?
Many thanks.

Pat
Old 04-21-2015, 02:15 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

I had a conversation about cosmetic parts with my dealer about a month ago and they basically said Porsche NA will not cover exterior cosmetic repair. You may get away with it if you can show bubbling or cracking, but stained carbon probably will not be covered. You should always ask though because yours may be different.

As for repair, they come off the car and apart fairly easily. There is a torx bolt holding the black shroud and chrome tips to the exhaust pipe and then another bolt holding the tips and shroud together. They can be removed and you could have the tips redipped for minimal cost if you prep them yourself. That may be an option if it is not covered and bothers you much. Good luck and report back on what you discover.

PS I never looked at what my GTS tips cost and was taken aback at the replacement cost on Suncoast when I looked them up after reading your post:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGTSTIP.html
Over a thousand bucks?!?! I'd better lock mine to the car.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

What an insane price!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:39 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

you need to put pictures in with questions, but if the part is deteroited / on its own ,it should be warranteed, even so a exhaust tip is easy to fix, you can polish it, sand and paint it, or send it to be coated with some hard finish

Quick Reply: 997.2 GTS Exhaust Tips "corrosion"