Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida residents, 4S or S given the amount of rain you guys get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015 | 06:42 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I was in this same conundrum last summer when I was shopping for my car. For me, it came down to just finding a car with the options which I really wanted, and then grabbing it. I kept an open mind as to 2S or 4S. As for considerations for weather conditions - I only drive my car in the warmer months, never in the winter. Now that I have my car, I'm glad it's a 4S though, as I appreciate the all weather capability and the added confidence it provides - my formative years of driving were all FWD, and only moved towards RWD in the past 9-10 years (been driving for about 20). I'm by no means a RWD maestro so often depicted by car journalists and their oversteer photos/videos, so AWD gives me more confidence.

Finally, just trying to figure out how you could have lusted after a 997 for 15 years when they only started to become available about 11 years ago? Just kidding.
Old 04-18-2015 | 12:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I prefer the rear wheel drive cars...why? well they handle better on the track and auto cross. 4S will push/plow in the corners and will not rotate to turn compared to a rear wheel drive version.

Plus the 4S is much heavier and the steering feels heavier.

4S is great for snow...and the AWD in the much higher powered Turbo is useful but in a car that has over 150hp LESS than a Turbo it's not needed really in dry or rain.
Old 04-18-2015 | 06:27 PM
Para82
Race Car

Whatever you do make sure you test drive these cars before you make a decision. I recently had my first test drive on a pristine 997.1 Turbo that I wanted to purchase - much preferred driving my Carrera S, no offer made on the car, no longer looking at them.
Old 04-18-2015 | 07:00 PM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Ive driven my 911 GTS and now my Gt3 with sport cups in the rain with no real issues.
Florida isnt quite the rainforest. And while summer afternoon storms are frequent, they very rarely last that long.
I wouldnt let that be the deciding factor. I think there are people who prefer the feel of both so whichever calls to you
Old 04-18-2015 | 08:47 PM
SJP3003
Racer

I had a C2, C2S and Boxster S in Miami with no issues due to rain.

I did, however, manage to hydrolock the motor on my former C5 vette when I wandered into a puddle and the cold air intake snorted a pail of water. Fortunately insurance paid and it led to the installation of a 500hp stroker motor with numerous mods.
Old 04-18-2015 | 10:27 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
I prefer the rear wheel drive cars...why? well they handle better on the track and auto cross. 4S will push/plow in the corners and will not rotate to turn compared to a rear wheel drive version.

Plus the 4S is much heavier and the steering feels heavier.

4S is great for snow...and the AWD in the much higher powered Turbo is useful but in a car that has over 150hp LESS than a Turbo it's not needed really in dry or rain.
Let's be realistic about the weight penalty... it is akin to pdk with a couple lux options ticked vs. manual and because of its position in the car actually provides some grip and stability benefit. Track times for the cars in the dry are identical from tests I've read/watched or otherwise favor the 4s.

It isn't going to be a performance advantage getting the 2s. Different characteristics, sure, but the 120 lb weight difference is more than made up for by added traction when accelerating. I drove 2s and 4s cars virtually back to back and steering feel was great through both and light years better than the 991.

I get other reasons, but performance really isn't one.
Old 04-18-2015 | 10:32 PM
sambb
Instructor

I understand the snow issues, etc. But, I always thought the main reason to get the carrera 4 was because it was less apt to blow out the rear end in hard acceleration, as the front wheels can pull one through the slippage..
Isn't that the performance benefit - its a little safer for certain drivers or conditions (independent of weather!)

I don't have the 4, but i thought that was the case

As far as winter - snow tires are needed, and much less wide if that is your snow car.
Old 04-18-2015 | 11:34 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Sambb, I think you are correct. From everything I've read about the four wheel drive system on the 997.2, and Porsche doesn't tell you much, I don't think much power goes to the front wheels during normal driving or prior to slippage. It's a performance system.
Old 04-19-2015 | 12:49 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Plus the 4S is much heavie
According to the press release, its 140 pounds heavier. Thats extra weight, but I don't think I would call that much heavier. Sort of like a skinny model heavy. But PDK is heavier than manual, so a manual 4S might be the close to the weight of a PDK 2S, perhaps. On the 997.1 normal power to the front wheels is only 5 percent, max is 40 percent when it senses slippage. Once again, its all in the older press releases and magazine tests if you look. I did.
Old 04-19-2015 | 12:53 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

It doesn't rain THaT much. I have AWD on my Jeep and it's a hoot in the wet. But there are millions of folks here surviving with RWD vehicles.
Old 04-19-2015 | 07:43 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Para82
Whatever you do make sure you test drive these cars before you make a decision. I recently had my first test drive on a pristine 997.1 Turbo that I wanted to purchase - much preferred driving my Carrera S, no offer made on the car, no longer looking at them.
Definitely. So far i've driven a 996 Turbo, 997 C4, 997 C2S, an 08 Cayman S and most recently a 2015 Cayman. My favorite has actually been the 2015 Cayman so I need to drive another and start looking at option combinations...
Old 04-20-2015 | 01:29 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mk85911
Sambb, I think you are correct. From everything I've read about the four wheel drive system on the 997.2, and Porsche doesn't tell you much, I don't think much power goes to the front wheels during normal driving or prior to slippage. It's a performance system.
If the 997.2 AWD system is anything like the 997.1, 95% torque goes to the rear wheel so it behaves and drives like a RWD most of the time. Up to 45% torque goes to the front wheels when it feels like it's slips (drift) so drifting the 4S is no easy task. The AWD is there when you need it so for the normal person it feels more planted, less fish tailing (which scares a lot of people). I'm used to driving the 4S with all that grip and when I drive a 2S I find myself drifting (not intentionally) through the corners, fun but not the fastest way around the track. The pro racer might be able to extract point something seconds off a track time but the average driver will find the 4S easier to drive fast.
Old 04-20-2015 | 01:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

get a 4. good tires and awd is much better for florida downpours.
Old 04-20-2015 | 01:43 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Been driving a C2 non-S for the last 6 yrs in FL, no problems in the rain, never once wished for AWD. Biggest difference was when I switched to Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position all-season tires. Twice the wet traction, twice the tread life of the typical summer tires people buy for these cars.
Old 04-20-2015 | 01:50 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
Hey everyone,

As I get closer and closer to finally getting my 911 I now have different circumstances to consider as I am suddenly moving to Florida.

I will be driving the car as my DD and I have a significant commute, about 100 mi each way 10-15 days a month (unless I stay the night which is possible, but i'll be doing a fair amount of driving). Should I consider a 4S for better traction in the rain?

I know it rains a lot in FL but I figured i'd ask anyways, i'm sure there are tons of people driving RWD cars with the rain etc.
If you're talking about just daily driving and commuting, I don't see how an AWD car would help you at all in the rain versus a RWD car. As others have said, it really just comes down to your tires. How well you can stop and turn is merely a function of the grip in your tires and their ability to channel water away. Now if you wanted to have better acceleration in the wet, then yes, the AWD would be beneficial. From a safety point of view where you're just commuting on normal roads, both the AWD and RWD cars will stop and turn almost identically if they're on the same tires. If tracking the car in heavy rain or hooning through wet twisty canyon roads (does this even exist in Florida?) appeals to you, then the AWD might be the right choice for you. The exit traction in the wet will certainly be better. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the RWD car for less weight, mechanical complexity and maintenance. As others have said, the AWD will be easier to drive fast, but the RWD will probably be more rewarding to drive fast.

Other little things between the two is you'll get the widebody rear with the 4/4S but a slightly bigger frunk with the 2/2S.

Last edited by scorcherjf; 04-20-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Florida residents, 4S or S given the amount of rain you guys get?