Camshaft Position Sensor DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:38 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Camshaft Position Sensor DIY?

Hey RL'ers,
Had a CEL come up the other day. Scanning said it was a P3042 - low limit on camshaft position sensor bank 1. Cleared the code and it eventually came back and then the next day the car stalled and wouldn't re-start with the same code. '05 Carrera S btw, but the p/n for S vs. non-S is the same.

I ended up getting a sensor and from what I understand, bank 1 is drivers side. Looking at the parts diagram/manual, it seems to be on the end of the end in the engine bay, on the drivers side just in front of the engine mount (underneath the coolant tank hose).

Is there any trick to replacing it? Just the one bolt or do I have do something extreme like dropping the engine?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by s-spiff; 04-16-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm curious myself. i found a thread on 6speed but was for TT. what p/n is it?

and btw, nice handle/avatar.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:30 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

If you head on over to this Tech Article right here and look at figure 5 you should see the sensor you're asking about. Hope this helps.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Luccia,
I did see that article. For those of you interested, pn is 997-606-106-03-M14. Same pn for bank 1 and bank 2.

My question is do you need to disconnect anything ie. coolant hoses or even drop the engine to remove it?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:38 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Due to the variance between the first gen 996 and second gen 997 I can't accurately answer that. It's honestly been a while since we've seen one with the motor in the car as most of the time the motors are removed. My suggestion would to put the car up and take a look under it.

-Luccia
Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s-spiff
Thanks Luccia,
I did see that article. For those of you interested, pn is 997-606-106-03-M14. Same pn for bank 1 and bank 2.

My question is do you need to disconnect anything ie. coolant hoses or even drop the engine to remove it?
Yes and maybe yes. This is a moderately involved job, IMO - talking bank 1 (bank 2 is even a bit more involved). You need to remove air cleaner housing - not difficult but there are several connections, clips, and fasteners to manage. You need to unclip coolant lines (2 of them if I recall). You will probably need to loosen or unclip the brake booster line and loosen the vacuum line. Maybe the fuel tank vent line as well. Zip tie them so they are out of your way. Check and see if there are any other lines or tubing that are attached and in the way - if so, you'll need to loosen those too.

At this point you should be able to access the camshaft position sensor & plug. If it is too tight of a fit you can drop the engine about 1.5 - 2 inches max for additional room. Just make sure to keep it supported. This is a temporary drop so you can't leave it this way too long. Remove and replace the sensor and put everything back the way you found it (might want to take a picture at the start if you are unsure). Good luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced both on mine without dropping the engine. The first camp position sensor is easy to get to (behind the air box). For the second you'll need to remove the passenger rear wheel. You'll be able to see it and may need to use swivel adapters to get to the bolt that holds it in place.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:30 AM
OP996
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoddle
I replaced both on mine without dropping the engine. The first camp position sensor is easy to get to (behind the air box). For the second you'll need to remove the passenger rear wheel. You'll be able to see it and may need to use swivel adapters to get to the bolt that holds it in place.
going through a cam shaft error code myself P0341 camshaft sensor “a” do you know if this is the driver or the passenger side one?
do you have images or reference of the location of the 2 sensors please? Thank you so much in advance

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor DIY?