Sponsored by:

Failed Leak Detection Pump - 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM
hammerdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Leak Detection Pump - 997.1

I drove the Pcar to the office yesterday and when I left for lunch the check engine light came on. It wasn't the emergency flashing icon, however I did want to get it checked out asap as I have an SCCA event on Saturday.

My Indie plugged the car in and told me the error is a result of a failed Vapor Leak Detection Pump (PN# 997-605-125-01). Have any of you guys replaced this part? I'm curious to know if this a project that I can handle and would love any assistance or DIY advice.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

This is related to the Evap system. It doesn't necessarily mean the pump has failed,the fault code could be related to anything in the system,starting with something as simple as a loose gas cap.
Does the code say something like Leak detection pump low voltage?
The pump's operation can be tested with a bi-directional scan tool by commanding it On and see it it works. If you don't have a bi-directional scan tool,you can run your tests at the connector. The solenoid could be sticking and staying open,creating a Gross leak,but the reason I was asking if it's a Low voltage fault is because that's a dead giveaway it's an electrical fault related to a malfunctioning unit.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Just to add here : this fault is emission related and it does not affect drivability at all,so unless you need to pass emissions soon,you can drive it without a problem.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM
hammerdown
Advanced

Thanks for the note neanicu. I did enough research before taking it in to check the gas cap to ensure it was tight. The car was low on fuel when it came on. I have since refilled but the light is still on.

I don't have a means for testing via a scan tool. I'm just a home diyer and can handle basic tasks with a basic tool set.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hammerdown
Thanks for the note neanicu. I did enough research before taking it in to check the gas cap to ensure it was tight. The car was low on fuel when it came on. I have since refilled but the light is still on. I don't have a means for testing via a scan tool. I'm just a home diyer and can handle basic tasks with a basic tool set.
Ok. Get the exact description of the trouble code from your Indy.
Step nr 2 : use 50 $ code reader to reset code. If you don't want to invest in a code reader,go to any Autozone and they'll do it for free. Although they might not want to reset it because it's an emission related code and they need to follow the law. Have your Indy reset it for you.
Keep driving after reset and see if it comes back. If it does,you'll have to fix it.
But the last thing you want to do is start throwing parts at a problem because a gentleman with a scan tool told you the computer says it's a failed pump. It needs to be tested to know for sure.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:53 PM
hammerdown
Advanced

I just ordered a cheap obd2 scanner and will reset it once I get it. I also have an email into my indie asking for the exact code. I'll update the thread accordingly.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM
hammerdown
Advanced

Indie just sent over the error code:

P2402 - Evaporative emission system leak detection pump control circuit high.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:24 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Didn't see anything in our Tech Articles for the pump listed, but if you post in here typically a technician will try and help you directly.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Indie just sent over the error code: P2402 - Evaporative emission system leak detection pump control circuit high.
Ok,that's exactly what I was referring too. It sounds like an electrical fault,so the pump could be defective,but it's not definitive. It could be a wiring problem for example. It still needs to be tested to confirm that it's the pump.
Go to the next step now : reset the code and see if it comes back.
Now that you've ordered a code reader,you'll have the possibility to see the Pxxxx generic description,but know what it means from your Indy. Because the generic description an OBD2 gives might not be Porsche specific.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
hammerdown
Advanced

Originally Posted by neanicu
Ok,that's exactly what I was referring too. It sounds like an electrical fault,so the pump could be defective,but it's not definitive. It could be a wiring problem for example. It still needs to be tested to confirm that it's the pump.
Go to the next step now : reset the code and see if it comes back.
Now that you've ordered a code reader,you'll have the possibility to see the Pxxxx generic description,but know what it means from your Indy. Because the generic description an OBD2 gives might not be Porsche specific.
I reset the code yesterday and took the car for a drive. At about 10 minutes in the CEL lit again with the same error code.

Looks like its time to replace the pump. I have failed thus far to locate the part on the car so I'm still not sure if I should do the work or fork out the $$ for my indie to do it.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced it on my car. It's next to the TB on the engine bay. 10 minutes if you take your time.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM
hammerdown
Advanced

Originally Posted by joelpirela
I replaced it on my car. It's next to the TB on the engine bay. 10 minutes if you take your time.
Thanks Joel, TB?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

It may still be covered under emissions warranty.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM
hammerdown
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
It may still be covered under emissions warranty.
Thanks for the note, I did not realize there was an emissions warranty.

The car is an '07 that was manufactured late in 06' . I'm out of the federal program by age.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Joel, TB?
TB : throttle body.
Just remove the air box and you will see the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Failed Leak Detection Pump - 997.1