Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Tune on a 3.6 Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:06 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not think it is necessary to call out the tuner. It was a suggestion and I did my research and will decline. If you should run across the same tuner you will have the same option. Thanks for the responses either way.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You should get the GT3 tune done and report back to us, and if you don't like it they can put it back to stock.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
You should get the GT3 tune done and report back to us, and if you don't like it they can put it back to stock.
If it damages the engine, might be a little expensive to "put it back to stock".
Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BEAT
I do not think it is necessary to call out the tuner. It was a suggestion and I did my research and will decline. If you should run across the same tuner you will have the same option. Thanks for the responses either way.
The problem is, the "tuner" is telling people who may or may not know any better, this information right off the bat. It's misleading at best and fraudulent at worst.

And who said anything about flaming? If you asked a simple question, you got a simple answer: No. Various people had pointed out that it was a bad idea and you attempted to either parse out your idea that a GT3 "tune" would work on a base 3.6 Carrera, and/or attempted to second-guess people with far more experience than you with a simple internet search.

If whoever told you this would work was a "well respected" tuner, I suggest you take a second look at his resume.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:11 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
The problem is, the "tuner" is telling people who may or may not know any better, this information right off the bat. It's misleading at best and fraudulent at worst.

And who said anything about flaming? If you asked a simple question, you got a simple answer: No. Various people had pointed out that it was a bad idea and you attempted to either parse out your idea that a GT3 "tune" would work on a base 3.6 Carrera, and/or attempted to second-guess people with far more experience than you with a simple internet search.

If whoever told you this would work was a "well respected" tuner, I suggest you take a second look at his resume.
Agreed I am no a well respected tuner or engine guru ,,,,,But being the owner of a GT3 I am well aware of the major differences in its engine to that of the base Carrera ,,,,It is unethical for some one to make these claims and take peoples hard earned money for something that GT3 owners now cannot be done ...................If it sound to good to be true then ............???
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 666
Agreed I am no a well respected tuner or engine guru ,,,,,But being the owner of a GT3 I am well aware of the major differences in its engine to that of the base Carrera ,,,,It is unethical for some one to make these claims and take peoples hard earned money for something that GT3 owners now cannot be done ...................If it sound to good to be true then ............???
We really don't know exactly what the tuner was proposing other than what OP told us...and it's obvious from OP's post that OP didn't know there were engine differences...maybe OP didn't understood what tuner was telling him.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
We really don't know exactly what the tuner was proposing other than what OP told us...and it's obvious from OP's post that OP didn't know there were engine differences...maybe OP didn't understood what tuner was telling him.
I know there are components of the engines that are different, I was just not sure about the base part of the engines. You people act as if I was somehow I was thinking my car would turn into a GT3. Dont put yourself on a pedestal too much, that was not what I was after. He simply stated that the base 2003 GT3 file from a stock 2003 GT3 works on a 2006 Carrera 3.6 motor. I am pretty sure that is not to far off from the truth. I am sure it works I just do not know from a reliability standpoint how long the engine would hold up. He put one on a Boxster with a Carerra 3.6 motor dropped into it and said they saw 35 hp. I explained I was not racing the car and just waned a base tune and to get the CEL turned off. I have had AMG 55s, CLS 55s with lots of work done and a CTSV second generation with work done. I am a little familiar with tuning but not a tuner by any means. He said the guy with the Boxster did research and found people doing this very scenario so he put one on his car with no issues thus far. I am a little more cautions and dont want a blown motor.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM
1BEAT
Rennlist Member

I will attempt to get some more info. Here was my stage 2 CLS which I really miss.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2015, 04:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Ok, thats what I am wondering. I have mods done. He wants to put a base GT3 3.6 file on my Carrera 3.6. Its been done to a boxster with a 3.6 carrera transplant. Wondering what the risks are and if anyone has heard of this.
He is competely BSing you! and yet you don't seem to listen to the experts here. The engines are literally different so cannot possibly tune one for other engine or vice versa!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

1Beat, I have an AMG too, and am familiar with a bit of the Benz tuning. Your tuner's claims are akin to a tuner saying they can put a C63 tune on my C55. About the only common thing between those two engines is that they are V8s and over 5L in displacement. Otherwise they are completely different, and maybe they share some common sensors or some other small parts, but fundamentally they are different engines. Examples - twin spark heads and SOHC for the 55, single spark and DOHC for the 63.

At the risk of rehashing what others have posted, about the only common bits and pieces between the 3.6 in your car and the 3.6 in the GT3 is their displacement and piston arrangement. Without going into the details, I bet that they may share a sensor or two, and maybe the throttle bodies bolt up. But other than that, the two engines are different. The basic 3.6 is a mass produced engine. The 3.6 in the GT3 is motorsports derived, with a redline about 1000rpm higher than the engine in your car. Someone else already pointed out the wet sump vs. dry sump. The tuner is pulling your leg.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested in this GT3 tune for my base C2, can you tell me who the tuner is???
Old 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I'm interested in this GT3 tune for my base C2, can you tell me who the tuner is???
+1

We keep askin, but he gives us nothing.

If he doesn't provide the Tuner name, then the Tuner name was 1BEAT. And he just thought it would sound better if he said it was an idea from a reputable Tuner.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I know there are components of the engines that are different, I was just not sure about the base part of the engines. You people act as if I was somehow I was thinking my car would turn into a GT3. Dont put yourself on a pedestal too much, that was not what I was after. He simply stated that the base 2003 GT3 file from a stock 2003 GT3 works on a 2006 Carrera 3.6 motor. I am pretty sure that is not to far off from the truth. I am sure it works I just do not know from a reliability standpoint how long the engine would hold up. He put one on a Boxster with a Carerra 3.6 motor dropped into it and said they saw 35 hp. I explained I was not racing the car and just waned a base tune and to get the CEL turned off. I have had AMG 55s, CLS 55s with lots of work done and a CTSV second generation with work done. I am a little familiar with tuning but not a tuner by any means. He said the guy with the Boxster did research and found people doing this very scenario so he put one on his car with no issues thus far. I am a little more cautions and dont want a blown motor.
Oh boy... man, you don't wanna learn now, do you?

1. Your question was valid if you're a newbie, BUT after we explained the engine diffrences, you still were challenging the explanation!
2. If ANY tuner suggested the GT3 tune on Carrera engine, either he is completely BSing and he's just isafter your cash, or completely incompetent and should be avoided
3. Porsche engines are not tuner friendly in general as they're pretty much optimized stock, unless you're looking at Turbo engines
4. The question and tuner suggestion is literally comical, hence all of the fun at such a ridicolous proposal by your unnamed tuner!

Got it?

Quick Reply: GT3 Tune on a 3.6 Carerra