I am happy...new 997.2 C2S owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am happy...new 997.2 C2S owner

Hello everyone,

I would like to open this post by saying thank you to all the posters of this forum. I was daunted by the purchase process of this car but you guys made it a piece of cake (almost...as I probably did not get my 8hrs of sleep every single night . So thank you very much. I will try to contribute as much as possible the small knowledge I now have about these cars.

I just wanted to introduce myself, my car and give you the specs of my car as well as my purchase price so potential buyers in the market can get another price point.

I was born and raised in France and made my way to the US a little over 10 years ago. I have a blast since then!! I currently reside in DC.

Before considering purchasing this 911, I had 2 constraints: 1) it had to have 4 seats (to accommodate a baby seat) and 2), it could not be longer than 180 inches (I have a small garage with a go kart in the back of it).

The selection process was quite easy, a 911 it will be. So far, I am blown away with this car, the sporty feel, the sound (it has the Tubi exhaust) and the power! I owned a E85 Z4M 8 years ago and I really wanted to get something with similar dynamics (small, maneuvrable and powerful). I also owned a E90 M3 and was not as satisfied as with the Z4M so I knew the 911 had to be my next purchase.

About the car: I purchased from a Private seller in the DC area. He previously purchased it as a CPO from a P-dealer in Atlanta.

It is a 2011 black Carrera 2S with Turbo II wheels, Tubi exhaust installed (the seller was nice enough to let me have the OEM exhaust as well), Infotainment, Comfort package. The CPO runs until 11/2017 which is a huge plus. The initial buyer also added a Allstate Wheel and Tire coverage which he agreed to have it transferred to me which runs until 2/2017.

The mileage of the car was 9,500 miles. The PPI came back very clean with no over-revs. The asking price was 69k and the seller agreed to let it go for 65k. The seller was extremely nice and I was in the end happy not dealing with the pressuring environment you can sometimes get a dealerships. I believe that this is a decent deal after having looked around for the past 2 months. I was lucky to deal with a seller which was local and very nice.

I also test drove 2 997.1 but I felt better in this 997.2. I read that some people feel that the 997.1 has a sportier feel but I actually preferred the feel of the 997.2, I thought that the Sport mode of the 997.2 felt stable while it felt more bumpy in the 997.1 (I realize that it could be due to the road conditions). I could not feel the 997.2 any less sportier (maybe the Tubi exhaust of the 997.2 (vs regular exhaust in the 997.1) made the trick).

I can't explain how happy I am about this purchase and I would like to thank you all once again for sharing all these tips, it was priceless.

I am sharing a picture of the car and 2 pictures of the front and back in the garage...it is tight! (I did not test the garage fitment before making the purchase relying on the tape measure and wikipedia...it was close

Thanks again guys and I am glad to know be part of the Porsche and Rennlist community!
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2015, 04:24 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks great. Welcome to the family from a fellow '11 C2S owner. Hope your new Porsche brings many years and miles of happiness to you and your family….T
Old 04-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Cherokee140
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real nice. I know just how you feel, just got my 2010 C2S last week. It's incredible.
Can you hang the go-kart from the ceiling? Looks like the back maybe at risk for accidental scratches.
Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Thanks Tom!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Thanks Cherokee! Congratulations to you as well! My dad actually recommended the same idea as you. I did not research into it yet but I will add it to my list of todos. The go-kart weights ~235lbs and I don't know if I can have something that heavy hanging from the ceiling. In the meantime, I bought a Camco Accupark and so far so good, I park right before the go-kart radiator, but I am afraid that one day it would become unglued and then I would bump into the radiator. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:41 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds like a fair deal and awesome package. Exactly what I will be looking for in the next year.
That garage is a tight fit. My brother closed his garage door on the bumper of his new Infinity. Two cut marks in his new car from that Ginsu hinge. Yes that one just by your plate.
On my garage door I looped a piece of loose carpet over the hinge. I also built a T 2x4 for my floor for the back wheels. So when I'm backing in, my back wheels hit the wood and stop my car in position. Next trick, and the garage door police are not going to like this. I raised laser sensor beam to the same height as my bumper. Aha- so the longest point of your car ??? the license plate will block the beam and not let the door close on your shinny new loved object of affection. Thus negating the tear factor.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Thanks so much for the advice Big Smoke! I really like the idea about the garage laser sensor placement. Now it might be a bit risky for my son...he's unfortunately very active and I can picture him crawling under the garage door while it is being closed. (I would rate the probability of this combination very low but I might not take the risk :-) The wife was nice enough to let me have a car, I will avoid getting him hurt by the garage door).

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Now that's what I call shoehorning a car into the garage!

Congrats on your new ride.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

congrats. awesome looking 997.2
Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Argon
Advanced

Congrats, Flyingtopcart! Your car looks great. Can't beat the sound out of that Tubi. I have had mine for a year now and I still open my windows whenever I go under a bridge and let it rip (while my wife ducks her head with embarrassment and tries to hide ).
Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Could you not have double laser? Like two layers.
One low for code? kid and wife?
another set plate level ????
surely you could have them in series?

http://www.chamberlaingroup.com/corp...-us/contactUs/
Old 04-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Thanks guys :-) I drove about 100 miles since have it and I cannot tell you how good is the Bose surround sound system since I did not turn the radio on even once...I might eventually test it one of these days but so far,I really don't want to :-)
Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Flyingtopkart
Intermediate

Thanks Big Smoke, will look into this over the weekend, here goes the weekend project :-)
Old 04-10-2015, 05:06 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

called chambeland, because I had to know. Can't run double safety sensors.

Go with the 2x4 and carpet the Ginsu hinge.

Quick Reply: I am happy...new 997.2 C2S owner