Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Off topic article...

Not a great enthusiast mag article, but does bring home a good point:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/6-cars-...160034380.html

I'm especially intrigued by the Audis. I thought I was the only one not jumping in on the Audi trend: the cartoon headlights, the boat shape designs, the bland styling of one model vs the next. Seems Audi is winning a lot of praise lately for great cars, but here someone finally has the cojones to say otherwise. Frankly, and to be fair, it's not just Audi-- it seems we're in a decade of bland automobile styling, from European brands to, especially, Japanese. Even my beloved Maserati has gone from the absolutely gorgeous Quattroporte to the new "un-Italianate" QP.

I wonder, now, if the 991 is not that bad in comparison to what's new out there.

I thought this would be a good topic for discussion.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:11 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I definitely agree with them regarding Audi: “Every Audi looks old the moment they come out.”

I've always thought they looked decent for about a year, then sharply drop off after that. Audis that are only a few years old look ancient. They have some weird LED design every iteration that's vastly different from the previous generation so there's no sense of cohesive styling which makes them look just dated quite soon after. A few models look like they have glitter eyeliner on and the whole 1-eyed indicator action looks like the LED burned out on one side until the indicator is turned off.

Obviously the R8 is the only exception which I think looks quite good. Honestly I think the new R8 actually looks worse than the original.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
I definitely agree with them regarding Audi: “Every Audi looks old the moment they come out.”

I've always thought they looked decent for about a year, then sharply drop off after that. Audis that are only a few years old look ancient. They have some weird LED design every iteration that's vastly different from the previous generation so there's no sense of cohesive styling which makes them look just dated quite soon after. A few models look like they have glitter eyeliner on and the whole 1-eyed indicator action looks like the LED burned out on one side until the indicator is turned off.

Obviously the R8 is the only exception which I think looks quite good. Honestly I think the new R8 actually looks worse than the original.
New R8 absolutely looks worse. New 488 looks worse than 458 due to those ridiculous intakes on the side.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Our friends love Audi brand, but to be fair, they ain't car people, they lease and flip every three years or so. Think Audis are bland, except old R8, and some of the TT family. Good for a DD otherwise. For Benz some of the halo models look great (for example, saw new AMG GT @ Dallas Auto Show: Nice, not Porsche nice, but nice), SLS & SLR. VW? Meh. I think you can argue Porsche may be getting more bland (or, less exciting), but at least in our corner of Texas, you don't see one every mile and they're still distinctive enough to pick outta the crowd....T
Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

There are very few timeless car designs. The 911 is one of the few up until the 991. 911s were easy to identify at a distance, but the 991 seen far away from the front looks like a Panamera, from the rear like an Aston Martin, from the side like a Jag XK. It lost its timelessness.

Of course, the new trend in car design with all kinds of creases, in-your-face air intakes, et al. may look 'modern' and 'aggressive' but will not pass the test of time.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:36 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true.

Originally Posted by ADias
There are very few timeless car designs. The 911 is one of the few up until the 991. 911s were easy to identify at a distance, but the 991 seen far away from the front looks like a Panamera, from the rear like an Aston Martin, from the side like a Jag XK. It lost its timelessness.

Of course, the new trend in car design with all kinds of creases, in-your-face air intakes, et al. may look 'modern' and 'aggressive' but will not pass the test of time.

Quick Reply: Off topic article...