Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Richard EVO
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new here after buying a 2006 997 Carrera Coupe 6-MT from a buddy about 2 months ago. It has been my daily driver since the day I bought it. My previous DD was a 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR 6-MT that I still own. The 997 is my first Porsche, and I just think it is so great. Someone told me many years ago that "the Porsche 911 is over engineered." That is so true. All of the controls -- gearshift lever, clutch pedal, steering wheel, etc., are just so beefy and substantial. As a new first time Porsche owner after a lifetime of owning other sports cars, I get it, and I will continue to drive it every day for years . . .
Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

it is a daily driver first and foremost...
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Yes it it rough, but it depends on what you like, how bad the roads are in your area and what you are willing to sacrifice.
Like i mentioned, i came from a Mercedes S550 as my DD. So the standard shocks in my C4 are quite hard for my taste. But the car is so much fun to drive im sucking it up and trying not to mind the bumps.
Im hoping that i will be able to retrofit PASM and i hope it will solve my discomfort issue.
I don't get it. I have PASM and I hate it...too stiff, It make me dizzy/nauseous when I drive over uneven roads or expansion joints. I must be getting old
Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I don't get it. I have PASM and I hate it...too stiff, It make me dizzy/nauseous when I drive over uneven roads or expansion joints. I must be getting old
Like i said, we all have different tastes and comfort zones. I have test drove a C2S and it was just "soft" enough for me to make it bearable but i could not find just the right C2S for me at the time i was shopping. My wife got so nauseous when she first sat in my car on a test drive i though she was going to return her lunch. Lucky for me she got used to it because it was a 3+ hour drive back home

Don't get me wrong, I do like a soft ride, i've had 5 mercedes since i was 21 (33 now) and converted my wife from BMW to a mercedes, but the fun factor of a car such as what Carrera delivers is something i've been longing for for a long time and I'm just going to have to get used to the ride quality if i want to continue to enjoy it.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:51 AM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
hardass..

just like the leather get too soft as it get older.. the bounces make the ride less firm... and makes you bounce...

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 AM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my 2011 C2S daily here in DFW with a 30 mile commute and I did the same in an 2008 Boxster S before it. Both being great at the task. Stay home when it's icy!l
Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

The comments about PASM are interesting. My daily driver before the 997 TT was a 996 C4S. The stock suspension in the C4S was quite stiff compared to the 997 with the PASM set in "normal" mode. I think the highway ride of the 997 is much nicer than the 996 was. In "sport" mode, the 997 is a different animal and it is much stiffer than my 996.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:11 PM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I agree... point 10 is spot on!

A friend of mine owns a turbo cab very similar to mine. He doesn't drive his turbo very often. He recently said to me: "I can't imagine driving that car every day. I don't know how you can do it." My response was: "I can't imagine letting that car sit in the garage every day. I don't know ho you can do it."
++++++ 1
Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Been using my base C2 6MT as DD for the past 6 years. Had a few things go wrong with it (aside from wear items like tires and brakes) but my extended warranty has covered it. My commute is only 7 miles each way, through suburban streets 30-45mph limit, and roads around here are flat, straight and there are no potholes because there is no cold winter. So the harsh ride isn't a problem and neither is the manual transmission. I have no desire to have another car, the 997 does it fine.

If however my commute left me frequently in freeway traffic jams, I would not want a manual transmission car. In which case I would never have bought a Porsche in the first place.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive mine as long as there is no salt on the road.

Traffic's not so bad. I just worry about my oil temps (~220f). A center radiator should help.

But she deserves so much more than just slogging it out in gridlock every day. Once the weather warms up, I'm usually on two wheels. That shortens my (37 mile, one-way) commute time in half.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:21 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I drive mine as long as there is no salt on the road.
Same here, or sometimes if I know parking is going to be an issue, or obviously if I need to use a roof rack I drive my other car. But otherwise I try to drive it as much as I can.

Quick Reply: 997 as a daily driver?