Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory position on ig ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Themixguy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory position on ig ignition?

New to the forum, just got an '05 997 after YEARS with my '82 911SC. I've searched the manual and the forum but can't find out how to turn on the ignition to play the stereo while parked. Is it bad to leave it "on" without engine running?
Alpine head, Bose speakers (was that a factory option?) with Bose sub. Any help appreciated as I'm getting to know the car.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Turn the key slightly to the right just before the starter engages. all electric accessories will be "on." Extended use of stereo running only on battery will drain the battery. In this mode, my 997.2 automatically switches the stereo off in about 10 minutes+/-.

Your best bet to learn about the car is to start by reading the manual cover-to-cover.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Themixguy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim! So I'm clear, there are 3 key positions: OFF (where key is inserted), RUN which is straight up, and START, which is a momentary position that activates the starter if the clutch is depressed. Are you saying go slightly past RUN and back to operate accessories? And yes, I'm rereading the manual in PDF form, which is great because it's then searchable. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Pages 80 and 81 in your owner's manual...even has a picture. No need to search the pdf for this - just look for "ignition lock" in the owner's manual index.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Themixguy
Thanks for the quick reply, Tim! So I'm clear, there are 3 key positions: OFF (where key is inserted), RUN which is straight up, and START, which is a momentary position that activates the starter if the clutch is depressed. Are you saying go slightly past RUN and back to operate accessories? And yes, I'm rereading the manual in PDF form, which is great because it's then searchable. Thanks!
RUN is the position I was referencing.

Quick Reply: Accessory position on ig ignition?