Sponsored by:

Service records for DIY'ers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 AM
sebBo13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service records for DIY'ers

A question to all you guys that do their own maintenance - how do you document this? I don't plan on selling my 2007 C2 anytime soon (maybe never), but I read some horror stories about blown engines and insurance companies denying claims due to neglect based on insufficient service records. All I would have to prove that I actually did an oil change or spark plug replacement would be a receipt from the store and some empty oil containers/boxes. I basically just write down the date/miles and service performed. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Save all receipts. Dated. And note mileage. Print out the Porsche maintenance page, do your check offs, date, note mileage, and file with car's records in chronological order.

Maybe keep a mileage log and snap a few photos if you want to go a little overboard and keep a digital record on your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I had a fellow member make a blank pdf of a dealer service invoice and just enter all the data myself when doing my own oil changes etc and keep them in my files.
I enter prices and quantities of whatever i bought to do it and attach the receipts if I have them.
Also, I use an app on my phone that can be exported to create my own spreadsheets.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are risks associated with DIY maintenance because you may not be a certified mechanic and certain insurance companies will have issues with those records. Not saying that you guys don't know what you're doing but insurance companies will find all & any loop hole to prevent paying out.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 AM
sebBo13
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
There are risks associated with DIY maintenance because you may not be a certified mechanic and certain insurance companies will have issues with those records. Not saying that you guys don't know what you're doing but insurance companies will find all & any loop hole to prevent paying out.
That was and is my concern, but I guess there is not much I can do at this point.
I had the alternator replaced under warranty and that was handled with one phone call without problems. In case of a blown engine this will likely be different though ...

Thanks for all your input so far.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Save all receipts. Dated. And note mileage. Print out the Porsche maintenance page, do your check offs, date, note mileage, and file with car's records in chronological order.

Maybe keep a mileage log and snap a few photos if you want to go a little overboard and keep a digital record on your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Pretty much this. I have done this with my Aston Martin and previous Porsche's and never had an issue when it came time to let them go to a new owner. If I were buying private party vehicle and the owner had meticulous records such as stated...it just lends a bit of credibility to the condition of the vehicle.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM
sebBo13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swoody
Pretty much this. I have done this with my Aston Martin and previous Porsche's and never had an issue when it came time to let them go to a new owner. If I were buying private party vehicle and the owner had meticulous records such as stated...it just lends a bit of credibility to the condition of the vehicle.
Oh, I totally agree! I would much rather buy a car from an obvious enthusiast who was pampering the car because it likely (at least in my logic) also reflects on appropriate and knowledgable driving habits. Let's be honest - the occasional oil change and filter replacement is not rocket surgery.
My concern was more that I am in a false piece of mind based on my extended warranty (6 yrs 100K miles) as the insurance company might deny an expensive claim due to services not performed by a mechanic.

I looked up the contract and it pretty much just specifies that in order to maintain coverage the recommended service intervals must be kept and services done by a mechanic (not further specified). Given that for my 2007 a minor service is due every 20K (or 2 years) and a major every 40K I will just have to get it to my indy or the dealer every 2 years and have the service done there. I do much more frequent oil and filter changes, so in the greater scheme of things this should not make a huge difference.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I had a fellow member make a blank pdf of a dealer service invoice and just enter all the data myself when doing my own oil changes etc and keep them in my files.
I enter prices and quantities of whatever i bought to do it and attach the receipts if I have them.
Also, I use an app on my phone that can be exported to create my own spreadsheets.
Would you mind posting the PDF?

What app are you using to export?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 776 Posts

Contact the insurance company. Have them email you their requirement of proof. Follow that. Keep the email as evidence as well.

Then also do your own document (if different). I take odometer, old parts, new parts, etc. pictures and put them in a digital document with my own comments (oil filter torqued to 7.5, drain plug to 19, etc.). Include date, parts, invoice numbers, whatever makes you happy. I save old parts in marked zip lock bags.

When you sell the car potential buyers will be viewing you as much as the car. The document defines you, build it accordingly.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I made my own in excel. I use it as a cover sheet along with receipts and used oil analysis.

[/URL]
Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice Matty!
Myself, with a 9-year-old car, off CPO warranty by a year, I just write my own thing in the OEM maintenance log book, solely for myself and a hopeful future 911 fan purchase. If I don't sell it that way, no one else gives two ****s, or two dollars extra, for self-serviced logs.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, you guys are hardcore. I had an app that I downloaded called Pocket Garage, which allowed exporting to Excel, but I think the developer just gave up on it or otherwise disappeared. One day it just stopped exporting, so I stopped using it. I decided then to just create my own Excel spreadsheet, noting all services and parts, with mileage and date. I don't typically keep invoices for fluids though, merely because I buy whenever there's a sale, so at times I've had oil sitting for months on my shelf before it's used. On another couple of occasions, I've purchased fluids for cash from kijiji sellers too, and that doesn't lend itself to receipts! I keep every other receipt for parts though.

I'd also like to know the name of the app mentioned by WC11. If anyone wants my spreadsheet, I'm happy to share - just PM me with an email address.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Would you mind posting the PDF?

What app are you using to export?
Give this a try
Attached Images
Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Give this a try
This is amazing. Changing my oil and filters this weekend since the car is new to me just to be safe and I am using this.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 PM
kodas
Advanced

Give this a try
Thanks for posting, this takes it up a notch for record keeping

Quick Reply: Service records for DIY'ers