Sponsored by:

Jack recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jack recommendation

Now that the nice weather has finally arrived, I have taken my car out of storage. I need a good recommendation on a jack with stands so I can do some work on my car when the time comes. I was at Pep Boys the other day and saw a few that caught my eye.

What jack do most of you guys use/recommend?
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermode
Now that the nice weather has finally arrived, I have taken my car out of storage. I need a good recommendation on a jack with stands so I can do some work on my car when the time comes. I was at Pep Boys the other day and saw a few that caught my eye. What jack do most of you guys use/recommend?
Harbor Freight is seldom your go-to tool source, but their jacks are a great buy with great quality. I use their low profile 3-3.5 ton jack. I believe many others on here use HF jacks. As for jack stands, it's hard to beat the Jackpoint Jack Stands designed specifically for our cars. I have no affiliation to this product, just find it a nice product.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com
Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 PM
kodas
Advanced

Default Jackpoint and HF

Originally Posted by Slamuth
Harbor Freight is seldom your go-to tool source, but their jacks are a great buy with great quality. I use their low profile 3-3.5 ton jack. I believe many others on here use HF jacks. As for jack stands, it's hard to beat the Jackpoint Jack Stands designed specifically for our cars. I have no affiliation to this product, just find it a nice product.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com
+1
Love my Jackpoint stands and HF Low profile 3 ton jack.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought a HR low profile aluminum jack last weekend and received a pair of JackPoint jack stands yesterday. I needed the JackPoint jack stands so I could easily swap my summer and winter wheels/tires.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:26 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

its best to have 2 3ton floor jacks, you can get the whole front or rear up
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a low profile Michelin branded jack, works well. I have ever been caught up on brand names for jacks,they've all been very reliable for me.

Jack stands, however, are another matter. Whilst the Jackpoint ones seem great,i was unwilling to splurge on them. I did she'll. out for a set of Esco jack stands though, very nice stuff, with a heft rubber pad on each, very large saddle.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
its best to have 2 3ton floor jacks, you can get the whole front or rear up
That's exactly why I bought the JackPoint stands. Jack up the right side using the rear jack point. Slide regular jack stand under the front jack point. Position JackPoint stand at the right rear, lower the jack. Repeat on the left side. All four wheels are off the floor.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:05 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am about to purchase a pair of the jackpoint stands, just deciding if I can get away with using the standard rather than the low profile. My car is not lowered and I don't really plan on lowering it, even if I get b16's. I just want to make sure that I can use it also on my Audi, which is lowered, but about the same height as the P.

As for jacks, I am super happy with my Costco jack. Arcan 2500 floor jack. That thing can lift a house.

Is it a quick pump? No. It would be nice, but unless I am lifting the car for my job, I am not really too worried about doing a few extra pumps.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Do this once, do it right, and they will last a lifetime..

AC Hydraulics Jack and ESCO jack stands.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/tools/jacks.htm

Not the cheapest way to go, but mine have worked flawlessly on all types of cars for over 10 years. They will most likely out live me.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 AM
kodas
Advanced

[QUOTE=s4alex;12119371]I am about to purchase a pair of the jackpoint stands, just deciding if I can get away with using the standard rather than the low profile. My car is not lowered and I don't really plan on lowering it, even if I get b16's. I just want to make sure that I can use it also on my Audi, which is lowered, but about the same height as the P.

With standard you will need a super low profile Jack or another Jack to lift slightly at the other Jack point to give clearance for the pad and jack. I like the standard but I have two floor jacks so it was not a problem.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 AM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=kodas;12120165]
Originally Posted by s4alex
I am about to purchase a pair of the jackpoint stands, just deciding if I can get away with using the standard rather than the low profile. My car is not lowered and I don't really plan on lowering it, even if I get b16's. I just want to make sure that I can use it also on my Audi, which is lowered, but about the same height as the P.

With standard you will need a super low profile Jack or another Jack to lift slightly at the other Jack point to give clearance for the pad and jack. I like the standard but I have two floor jacks so it was not a problem.
Yeah, my floorjack now is low profile. If I slide it under the car now (stock 997.2 C2S height) I still have like 2" or so.

I am going to give John a call on Monday and see what he says. I think he said I could use the standard.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:46 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

Sorry for butting in, but is there a way to get the car on standard type stands rather tun "Jackstands"?

I saw one post that said lack the rear and the front lifts and you can get a stand under the front.
What about the rear?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Look backwards on this Forum to January 27, 2010. The post was titled ...

How to: Jacking up a 997 safely, securely

It was posted by Edgy01. I printed it out and bound it in my 911 book for the next owner (whichever family member wins the final coin toss somewhere in the hopefully distant future!).
Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Look backwards on this Forum to January 27, 2010. The post was titled ...

How to: Jacking up a 997 safely, securely

It was posted by Edgy01. I printed it out and bound it in my 911 book for the next owner (whichever family member wins the final coin toss somewhere in the hopefully distant future!).
Perfect. Thanks.
Just saved it.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

[QUOTE=s4alex;12120171]
Originally Posted by kodas

Yeah, my floorjack now is low profile. If I slide it under the car now (stock 997.2 C2S height) I still have like 2" or so.

I am going to give John a call on Monday and see what he says. I think he said I could use the standard.
With the standard pad you'll need about 2.5" between the jack and the lift point. However, if you really want the standard pads you can lift the car with your jack on the factory lift point (without the pad in place initially). When the wheel comes off the ground slide a short piece of 2x4 under the tire and let the car down. Now there will be enough space for the standard pad. We did the low profile pad to avoid this process (though it still must be done with Cup cars, etc. unless you have a jack that goes down to 2"). However, some guys have other cars that need the standard pad and the 2x4 is much cheaper than 2 pairs of pads. In some cases just extending the suspension by jacking the car and letting it down will provide enough clearance without using a wood block.

BTW - the AC jack is really nice but unfortunately will not fit the current Jackpoint bases (it's too wide).

Quick Reply: Jack recommendation