Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warming the car up - PSE and Sports+?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:50 AM
SamDaMan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warming the car up - PSE and Sports+?

In reading the threads here on warming the car up before driving, I noticed a couple of comments about PSE and Sports mode. The posters seemed to suggest that even *after" idling the car for a couple of minutes, neither PSE nor Sports mode should be engaged for some additional period of time.

Rather than re-start a convo on the "correct" way to warm the engine (since it's been debated extensively here) - do people have specific recommendations on when to engage PSE or Sports mode?

I idle the GTS (PDK) on these cold NE mornings for about 90 seconds to get the revs to ~700/800, then drive off. Would somehow engaging PSE or Sports at the same time damage the engine?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDaMan
In reading the threads here on warming the car up before driving, I noticed a couple of comments about PSE and Sports mode. The posters seemed to suggest that even *after" idling the car for a couple of minutes, neither PSE nor Sports mode should be engaged for some additional period of time.

Rather than re-start a convo on the "correct" way to warm the engine (since it's been debated extensively here) - do people have specific recommendations on when to engage PSE or Sports mode?

I idle the GTS (PDK) on these cold NE mornings for about 90 seconds to get the revs to ~700/800, then drive off. Would somehow engaging PSE or Sports at the same time damage the engine?

Thanks!
My .02 ... PDK shifts at about 1800 rpm with light throttle. Sports mode raises that. I like to keep the revs below 3000 until warm. I know a lot of people figure 4000. With the MT, and revs coming quickly, 4000 is understandable ... The PDK is a different beast. I hold off on Sport until the motor is warm to keep the revs down.

As for PSE, I have Fister (PSE always on). I can only hope this does not have implications on the warm up!

I agree on the 90 second rule ... It gives me time for a quick walk around and light check (old habits die hard).

997.2 C4S for the record.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too allow a minute or so (whatever it takes for the idle to settle) but as soon as I leave my drive, PSE & Sport mode get pressed. I of course do not rev over 3000-3500 until fully warm but the sport mode IMO allows for easier take off from a stop (manual trans).
Old 03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in doubt, I'd say just go by the manual, which should be conservative. Manual states to keep RPM below 4200 until engine is warm (~5 minutes). As long as you can resist the urge "push it" in sport mode, my experience is "PDK-auto" will generally not shift past 4200 RPM even in sport mode when driven conservatively.

From 997.2 manual:
f When starting the engine, be ready to drive
immediately.
Drive vehicle at moderate speeds and avoid
engine speeds above 4,200 rpm during the
first 5 minutes.
f Do not let the engine idle to warm up.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Old habits are difficult to change - many folks let the car warm up at idle for a minute or so. I believe owner's manual verbiage has more to do with EPA concerns than anything else.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Old habits are difficult to change - many folks let the car warm up at idle for a minute or so. I believe owner's manual verbiage has more to do with EPA concerns than anything else.
+ 1

Quick Reply: Warming the car up - PSE and Sports+?