Sponsored by:

Garage Condos - Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Garage Condos - Good or Bad?

Does anybody have a garage condo for storing extra cars away from your house? We have a small 2 car garage with a tiny driveway, and 4 cars, plus bikes, and sets of off-season wheel/tires. So basically lack of space. So, we're thinking of getting a garage condo 15 minutes away to store whatever we're not driving or using at the time, as well as a lift, so we can do minor car maintenance and swap wheels. But we don't know if they're a good idea or not, so I wanted to hear opinions from anyone who knows something about these and/or has one. I'm also concerned that they might be difficult to sell, if we have to. TIA!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM
John in Bismarck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about the same thing. We moved to a condo about 3 years ago, and have only a 2 car garage with no ability to park anything outside for more than a few days. Our other 5 vehicles are parked at several other places in town. The thing I miss the most is being able to wash a vehicle when I want to. Most storage units around here are unheated and do not have electric power. A 1 car unit goes for about $80 per month. A heated garage condo with hot and cold water and a floor drain would be real nice. Not sure if it's worth $100-150k, though.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Wow, you have a lot of cars! I agree that a floor drain in a heated space would be awesome too, so we could hand wash in the winter! But I also wonder if a condo is worth the $100-$200K purchase investment (the price of a new 991!), plus condo fees ($1.25/SQFT/YR ~ $1000/yr). The alternative for us would be to move to a new house that has a larger garage attached. Just don't know which makes more sense.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

This, just around the corner from me and where the monthy Cars & Coffee shows are held: http://automotorplex.com/category/ph...oto-galleries/
Old 03-04-2015, 11:57 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Anyone know of a garage condo in Chicago? This sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Most condo associations do not allow one to work on cars that involve fluid changes and mods. Mine does not. I will wax and vacuum the 911 and treat the leather, but no oil changes or brake fluid flush or things like that. Carefully read the Board rules of places like that as fines can be levied.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Anyone know of a garage condo in Chicago? This sounds like something I'd be interested in.
None in Chicago. The closest think you have is Iron Gate Motor Condos in Naperville. If I were to move out near Iron Gate and Naperville, I would no doubt be able to afford a huge house with a huge garage with no need for a car condo.

Some condos are being built at Autobahn which I think is better than the the Iron Gate Motor Condos. Its a little further away but at least you are on a race track.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:23 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
Does anybody have a garage condo for storing extra cars away from your house? We have a small 2 car garage with a tiny driveway, and 4 cars, plus bikes, and sets of off-season wheel/tires. So basically lack of space. So, we're thinking of getting a garage condo 15 minutes away to store whatever we're not driving or using at the time, as well as a lift, so we can do minor car maintenance and swap wheels. But we don't know if they're a good idea or not, so I wanted to hear opinions from anyone who knows something about these and/or has one. I'm also concerned that they might be difficult to sell, if we have to. TIA!
My opinion is that its on par with Condo Hotel rooms.....

I would rather rent warehouse space. But I do admit these motor condos are pretty cool so it depends on how much time/use you would get out of it.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by DC911S
Most condo associations do not allow one to work on cars that involve fluid changes and mods. Mine does not. I will wax and vacuum the 911 and treat the leather, but no oil changes or brake fluid flush or things like that. Carefully read the Board rules of places like that as fines can be levied.
Thanks for the tip. I emailed the condo sales rep and he told me that performing fluid changes in the gargaes were ok. In fact, his response was that we could do whatever we wanted inside, as long as it was legal, LOL!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 AM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of years ago, I rented a 20x60 space for my overflow a few miles from my house. Biggest downside was the distance and amount of travel involved, especially if you have many vehicles and like to use them all.

Two complaints from my wife - (1) you are never at home, and (2) the wrong car is always in the driveway.

First recommendation: Get yourself a 'pit bike' that you can use to easily move between the house and the condo (I used a Buell Blast for this).

Second recommendation: Buy a new house. I ended up buying a new house with a 1500 sq ft heated garage that solved my problem - now all the toys are just outside the laundry room.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DC911S
FYI, the guy is asking about garage condos, not regular residential condominiums. Garage condos are designed for lifts, fluid changes etc.... Typically the only rules are you can't actually live there! LOL Although the condos are fitted with bathrooms and kitchens.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by paddyh
A couple of years ago, I rented a 20x60 space for my overflow a few miles from my house. Biggest downside was the distance and amount of travel involved, especially if you have many vehicles and like to use them all...First recommendation: Get yourself a 'pit bike' that you can use to easily move between the house and the condo (I used a Buell Blast for this). Second recommendation: Buy a new house. I ended up buying a new house with a 1500 sq ft heated garage that solved my problem - now all the toys are just outside the laundry room.
Thanks for your input! We'd mostly use the garage for off-season car storage, so wouldn't swap as often as you. I envy your 1500 sf heated attached garage. We'd love that but for lots we can afford that are big enough to do that, I'd have to live at least an hour away from where I work, which I don't want to do.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by 3Series
FYI, the guy is asking about garage condos, not regular residential condominiums. Garage condos are designed for lifts, fluid changes etc.... Typically the only rules are you can't actually live there! LOL Although the condos are fitted with bathrooms and kitchens.
Yep. The Condo sales manager told me there are only 3 things not allowed:
1. Living there
2. Running a business out of it
3. Anything illegal

If we do this, we're gonna put in a TV, mini kitchen/bar, and a sofa, plus a bathroom, of course. My 11 year old daughter asked a good question - how does one determine if someone is actually living there? I assume the line would be drawn where you can't spend the night there!
Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

And one coming to Chicago: http://automotorplexchicago.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 03:01 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
Yep. The Condo sales manager told me there My 11 year old daughter asked a good question - how does one determine if someone is actually living there? I assume the line would be drawn where you can't spend the night there!
I guess I think like an 11 yr old because I had the same question. If you don't need US Mail, I'm sure you could live there if no one enforces the rules. It has to do with zoning and most of these places are not zoned residential so it affects public services and property tax.

Quick Reply: Garage Condos - Good or Bad?