Sponsored by:

My experience with a forward-facing carseat in the back seat of a 997

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Render
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkahnjones
I thought I'd post this here in hopes that it helps other parents who come along after me. I know I benefitted, to some degree, from the older posts on this and other sites that discussed fitting car seats into Porsches... it's no easy feat!

I have a 2.5 yr old who's very tall and heavy (he's the size of a four-year old). Developmentally & physically, he's not ready for a booster seat. He needs at least a harnessed booster, if not a normal forward-facing carseat with five-point harness.

I need to take him to preschool on my way to work, three mornings per week.

My car is a 2005 911S coupe.

OMG it's almost impossible to find a carseat that will even fit back there! And the ones that do fit, don't install tightly... the main issue being that the female part of the seat belt buckle is in a fixed position (completely fixed; it doesn't even rotate or bend at all), placed inches forward of the normal belt path for a forward facing seat installation.

I researched, and researched, and researched.

I ended up thinking I'd get the Recaro Performance Sport harnessed booster seat to work. It's a very pretty seat, you have to love Recaro, and it does drop down into the seat well pretty nicely in a 997. BUT, there was absolutely no way to tighten the install whatsoever. It was flying all over the place back there... way more than the 1" of movement allowed. And, to properly fit it to my tall son, the headrest portion of the seat was so large and high, it created a dangerous blindspot for me, the driver.

OK, scrap that. I sent it back. Next, we tried the two seats we already had installed in other cars.

One was a Diono Radian RXT. This seat is very narrow, but also quite tall, and not upright enough for the very vertical rear seatbacks in a 997. There was no point in even trying to tighten the install on this one.

The other is a Britax Marathon. The seat is wider, but it's on a narrower base, and shorter than the Radian or the Recaro. No dice either. Didn't really fit into the seat at all, and definitely couldn't be tightened.

More research. And more.

I found a thread on a VW enthusiast site talking about installing carseats in 997s, and one fellow posted success with an Evenflo SureRide, from relatively recently (2013), so I had reason to believe I could find a substantially similar seat new. I examined the specs on this thing, and decided to give it a whirl.

It ain't perfect. It turns out, the fellow who "succeeded" actually had to stuff a rolled up towel to the side of the side (on the side where the seatbelt buckle is), to be able to get a truly tight install. But, if you know about carseat installation, you know that's a total no-no. It gives you the illusion of a tight install, but in a crash, can create an unpredictable situation.

That said, I was able to get this seat situated well enough that I am comfortable using it for my kid, for the very short trips we'll be taking.

It definitely DID require that I cut into the carpeting on the shelf behind the seat, to expose the rear anchor point. This, understandably, was a very uncomfortable thing to have to do. Taking a knife to one's Porsche's interior... well, let's just say I would only do such a thing for the safety of my child. But, the good news: it worked.

So, long story short: if you need a forward-facing 5-point harnessed car seat in the backseat of your 997, and it's anytime around now (February of 2015), go for the Evenflo SureRide DLX.

1. Expose the rear anchor above the seat where you plan to install the Evenflo. Yes, you need a knife. Yes, it ends up a little bit ugly with exposed insulation... just a bit. Sigh. But if you don't use the rear anchor, you will not get a remotely tight install.

2. Do not remove the seat bottom from the Porsche's back seat. It's tempting, to avoid damaging the leather, but it creates a worse, looser install. We tried it both ways. You have to keep the seat bottom in.

3. Use two people to do the install. It's easier for one person to try to push the seat down and into position, while the other pulls the seatbelt through the belt path, buckles, and then tightens it. The pusher/weigher should enter the car on the side that the seat is being installed, and the seat belt operator should climb in on the opposite side.

You'll end up with a seat that's good, not perfect. (So if you are truly a carseat crazy -- you know who you are -- you won't be able to drive your kid around in your Porsche, because you won't find this satisfactory.) It does not move at all at the head, it moves side to side only very slightly (less than 1"), and the only movement that's more profound occurs if you pull up on the front edge of the carseat. But even then, the head stays where it is, and that, to me, is really key.

It looks reasonable, and doesn't create a nasty blindspot.

With the kid in the carseat, obviously we'll have to move the passenger seat forward. It's pretty far back here.

The seat doesn't occlude much of the side window, and none of the rear window.
So here it is gents: Britax Boulevard clicktight fits like a glove on my 06 c2s coupe. No need to remove cushion. Just buy a nice car seat mat so that you don’t mark the leather.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Render
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Render

So here it is gents: Britax Boulevard clicktight fits like a glove on my 06 c2s coupe. No need to remove cushion. Just buy a nice car seat mat so that you don’t mark the leather.
and btw forward facing
Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 PM
loonwin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Render

and btw forward facing
Thanks, Render. Can you post pics when you get a chance?

And to be absolutely clear, you're talking about this one, right?
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Render
Cruisin'

yes exactly this one. Will try to post pics
Old 04-25-2018, 02:55 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you ever able to get a good photo to post? I would like to see how it fits and installs. Thanks
Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Just to give my input:
After a 6-month search, I have been able to find two seats (for ages 3-12) that fit in a 997 convertible (which has more upright seatbacks than the coupé):

CYBEX CBX: a non-isofix which we use in my wife's car. It also fits the P, but is a bit more difficult to buckle the seatbelt as there is little space to the left and right*.
Harmony Dreamtime Deluxe: a tip from the 997 forums, fits well (if still a bit upright due to the rollbar covers). A lot cheaper than the Cybex, but harder to source in Europe.

(*note: I have removed the rear seats cushions and backrests).

I can take a few pictures if that would be helpful.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Vhudoo
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past, I've found because the way the buckle is positioned (more forward then towards the back up the seat) that it doesn't allow for a tight fit of the seat. So once installed, there's some wiggle room where I could pull/push the seat a few inches. Zoefhaus/Render, do you find this to be the case with your seats?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhudoo
In the past, I've found because the way the buckle is positioned (more forward then towards the back up the seat) that it doesn't allow for a tight fit of the seat. So once installed, there's some wiggle room where I could pull/push the seat a few inches. Zoefhaus/Render, do you find this to be the case with your seats?
Yes, there is a bit of wiggle room (both sideways and back&forth).
With the seatbelt fastened it is sufficiently secure however.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link for recalls of baby seats. I didn't check against the entire thread.

The best way to ensure your car seat and other baby products (cribs, prams, Junior Electrician 240V builder set, firearms, etc.) is to fill out the ownership and warranty card.

In this way parents will always be notified directly in the case of a recall.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/childseat.cfm
Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 PM
Amanda Camacho
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After time?

Originally Posted by jkahnjones
I thought I'd post this here in hopes that it helps other parents who come along after me. I know I benefitted, to some degree, from the older posts on this and other sites that discussed fitting car seats into Porsches... it's no easy feat!

I have a 2.5 yr old who's very tall and heavy (he's the size of a four-year old). Developmentally & physically, he's not ready for a booster seat. He needs at least a harnessed booster, if not a normal forward-facing carseat with five-point harness.

I need to take him to preschool on my way to work, three mornings per week.

My car is a 2005 911S coupe.

OMG it's almost impossible to find a carseat that will even fit back there! And the ones that do fit, don't install tightly... the main issue being that the female part of the seat belt buckle is in a fixed position (completely fixed; it doesn't even rotate or bend at all), placed inches forward of the normal belt path for a forward facing seat installation.

I researched, and researched, and researched.

I ended up thinking I'd get the Recaro Performance Sport harnessed booster seat to work. It's a very pretty seat, you have to love Recaro, and it does drop down into the seat well pretty nicely in a 997. BUT, there was absolutely no way to tighten the install whatsoever. It was flying all over the place back there... way more than the 1" of movement allowed. And, to properly fit it to my tall son, the headrest portion of the seat was so large and high, it created a dangerous blindspot for me, the driver.

OK, scrap that. I sent it back. Next, we tried the two seats we already had installed in other cars.

One was a Diono Radian RXT. This seat is very narrow, but also quite tall, and not upright enough for the very vertical rear seatbacks in a 997. There was no point in even trying to tighten the install on this one.

The other is a Britax Marathon. The seat is wider, but it's on a narrower base, and shorter than the Radian or the Recaro. No dice either. Didn't really fit into the seat at all, and definitely couldn't be tightened.

More research. And more.

I found a thread on a VW enthusiast site talking about installing carseats in 997s, and one fellow posted success with an Evenflo SureRide, from relatively recently (2013), so I had reason to believe I could find a substantially similar seat new. I examined the specs on this thing, and decided to give it a whirl.

It ain't perfect. It turns out, the fellow who "succeeded" actually had to stuff a rolled up towel to the side of the side (on the side where the seatbelt buckle is), to be able to get a truly tight install. But, if you know about carseat installation, you know that's a total no-no. It gives you the illusion of a tight install, but in a crash, can create an unpredictable situation.

That said, I was able to get this seat situated well enough that I am comfortable using it for my kid, for the very short trips we'll be taking.

It definitely DID require that I cut into the carpeting on the shelf behind the seat, to expose the rear anchor point. This, understandably, was a very uncomfortable thing to have to do. Taking a knife to one's Porsche's interior... well, let's just say I would only do such a thing for the safety of my child. But, the good news: it worked.

So, long story short: if you need a forward-facing 5-point harnessed car seat in the backseat of your 997, and it's anytime around now (February of 2015), go for the Evenflo SureRide DLX.

1. Expose the rear anchor above the seat where you plan to install the Evenflo. Yes, you need a knife. Yes, it ends up a little bit ugly with exposed insulation... just a bit. Sigh. But if you don't use the rear anchor, you will not get a remotely tight install.

2. Do not remove the seat bottom from the Porsche's back seat. It's tempting, to avoid damaging the leather, but it creates a worse, looser install. We tried it both ways. You have to keep the seat bottom in.

3. Use two people to do the install. It's easier for one person to try to push the seat down and into position, while the other pulls the seatbelt through the belt path, buckles, and then tightens it. The pusher/weigher should enter the car on the side that the seat is being installed, and the seat belt operator should climb in on the opposite side.

You'll end up with a seat that's good, not perfect. (So if you are truly a carseat crazy -- you know who you are -- you won't be able to drive your kid around in your Porsche, because you won't find this satisfactory.) It does not move at all at the head, it moves side to side only very slightly (less than 1"), and the only movement that's more profound occurs if you pull up on the front edge of the carseat. But even then, the head stays where it is, and that, to me, is really key.

It looks reasonable, and doesn't create a nasty blindspot.

With the kid in the carseat, obviously we'll have to move the passenger seat forward. It's pretty far back here.

The seat doesn't occlude much of the side window, and none of the rear window.

i had a question, did it ruin your seat after time?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:34 PM
MrIncredible
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

I can confirm that the Britax Marathon Clicktight fits like a glove and DOES NOT BUDGE one bit. It is a bit bulkier than some of the others so there is less leg room for the little and the passenger but it's better than the alternative. So pumped to be able to take the fun car out with the whole fam now!
The following users liked this post:
oronymo (07-03-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 PM
03EvoIII
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Stupid question but where are the lower anchor points for the child seat? I know the one behind the rear back seat but have no clue on the lower ones. Do I just use the factory seat belt?? Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:01 PM
MrIncredible
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Stupid question but where are the lower anchor points for the child seat? I know the one behind the rear back seat but have no clue on the lower ones. Do I just use the factory seat belt?? Thanks!!
There aren’t any which is why the clicktight works so well. The belt runs under the padded part of the seat and lines up perfectly with the receptacle portion of the seat belt.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Only advice I have on seat selection is to use something with head protection. I would not use just a booster, I think the real risk for a small passenger is the window/side panel.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Isabelle CH
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diono car seat

Hi, I read your post about your baby car seat. I have the same Diono car seat and have been trying to fit it in a Turbo S but have not been able. Do I have to remove absolutely the bottom cushion and is there a way to install it without cutting the leather...

thank you

Originally Posted by eviligloo
The diono radian r100 works. It's a tight fit to get it in there because its so tall.

Attachment 914900

I had to put a cloth on the top left of the seat so the c pillar wouldn't get scratched with the metal seatbelt guide.

This seat is SECURE. I can't move it at all in any direction. It was a pain to install anything in the back of a porsche when you're 6'2" but this sucker is solidly in place and doesn't move an inch. I took the bottom seat cushion out and left the seat back in with a towel behind it.

The only caveat is that I had to use the belt loop for the rear facing rather than the forward facing to get a snug enough fit based on the location of the buckle. As secure as it is I have no qualms about doing this. I've never had a more secure carseat in any of my cars.

I will say that it gave us more legroom than I was anticipating since the cushion fits well and is somewhat short. That evenflo picture you posted looks like the passenger will have NO legroom.

Quick Reply: My experience with a forward-facing carseat in the back seat of a 997