Sponsored by:

TPC / TPMS troubleshooting

Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts
Default TPC / TPMS troubleshooting

Trying to troubleshoot a TPMS problem

Many, many threads on this, but the vast majority seem to be dead battery in the wheel transmitter issues. This is one of the few threads that goes into the issue a bit more deeply. Thanks <JB in AR>

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-failure.html

Current state = no pressure readout on on board computer (OBC) readout when in TPC mode. All I see are 4 dashes next to the tyre positions.
Troubleshooting step 1;
I assumed bad wheel mounted transmitters so I took a set of known good wheels / transmitters from another 911 we have.
Results = RF and RR display indicates pressures as expected. LF and LR indicate “Req” ???????????
Driving for ~ 40 miles and going through a few power on / off cycles made no difference. The RF / RR indicate pressure immediately, no “learning” necessary.

Troubleshooting step 2;
Swapped front wheels side to side.
Results = same as after step 1.

Assumptions;
1. I have at least 2 dead batteries in the original wheels that were on the Right side, may have dead batteries on original left side wheels too. That’s an easy fix by buying transmitters.
2. I may have something wrong with a sensor / antenna on the left side of the car.

Questions.
1. What the heck does “Req” indicate (see photo below)? It only appeared once I installed wheels with known good transmitters.
2. Can you point me towards a 997.1 TPC system schematic that I can review?

Other info;
1. I know where to buy more transmitters
2. I know I can disable TPC using durametric pro, I prefer to keep TPC

Thanks

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:16 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

70 views and no one has an idea on what "Req" indicates??
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

70 views and no response means at least 70 people don't know - you can't force an answer. I can't find anything about "Req." - I'm sure you've seen this in the owner's manual so I'm not telling you anything new. Good luck.

No tire pressures are displayed on the onboard
computer for wheels with faulty wheel
transmitters.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 AM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a "Req" reference in a thread on planet 9.
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...s-systems.html
Go almost all the way to the bottom 10/04/2010 9:37 pm
Most of the responses here say either the batteries are going dead in the sensors or ask if there is another set of tires nearby in the garage and the car is trying decide which ones to read.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

since you swapped wheels/put on a set of known good batts, i'd say a system issue vs. dead batts. are there no codes with the durametric? (other than presumably the generic TPMS fault that i see when i have my track wheels on which dont have sensors)

also, did you already try to disable via duramet? i've seen plenty of places on here and others that you need to remove the TPMS module also - which is behind the brake cyl? - in order not to get warnings. yes, you can toggle the TPMS via durametric but that is only half the battle, it will still give you warnings. would be interesting to hear otherwise.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3putt4DG
I found a "Req" reference in a thread on planet 9.
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...s-systems.html
Go almost all the way to the bottom 10/04/2010 9:37 pm
Most of the responses here say either the batteries are going dead in the sensors or ask if there is another set of tires nearby in the garage and the car is trying decide which ones to read.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for this lead.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
70 views and no response means at least 70 people don't know - you can't force an answer. I can't find anything about "Req." - I'm sure you've seen this in the owner's manual so I'm not telling you anything new. Good luck.

No tire pressures are displayed on the onboard
computer for wheels with faulty wheel
transmitters.
you are absolutely right, no answer is better than a guess or a wrong answer.

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff

also, did you already try to disable via duramet? .
No, I'm trying to resolve the issue before going that route.

Cheers

Craig
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested if any final resolution reached on the issue of TPMS system failure. Have identical issue described in original post with new, tested and confirmed working , sensors. Having system diagnosed tomorrow in an effort to isolate which part of system is malfunctioning. Will post results if successful but would like any knowledgeable feedback from those with systems that have already been sorted out.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TPMS is a POS. One bad battery can throw the whole system.
I don't even have sensors mounted anymore.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a follow up, saved the cost of diagnosis and replaced the TPMS controller and system is working fine now. All sensors reading. As noted in my post, all sensors where new and tested and confirmed as sending data. Problem was data was not being received by failed controller. Cost for controller was $ 210 , estimated cost of diagnosis was $ 250 +.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Britzky9
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

TPC had to "re-learn" 3 times this weekend...maybe a failing controller? Not a fan of the idiot lights.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

almost every tire shop has signal reader that measures strength of tpms sensor, just walk around the car
Old 12-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Britzky9
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
almost every tire shop has signal reader that measures strength of tpms sensor, just walk around the car
is that different than measuring battery life? Recent service said life in each wheel was good.

thanks!
Old 12-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Blue996Cabrio
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Req is normal display for required pressure

I am aware that this is an old thread, but for reference I'd like to point out that the Req display is a normal display that indicates the required pressure. It is no indication that there is an error. It is accessible when not driving. There are two numbers, one is the required pressure for the front tires and one for the rear tires.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 PM
myronf
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dadio:

Any thing special that you had to do when you replaced the TPMS controller. Or was it simply plug and play. (take the old one out and replace with the new)
Old 08-14-2021, 02:52 PM
LRsCarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 TPMS Fault

Hi All- Been putting off addressing this issue. Bought the car in Nov of 20. Both PPI shop and my local Indy shop says the wheel sensors are fine. This is supported by PO providing receipt for all 4 sensors being replaced in July 2018. TPMS says it is in learning mode, but never learns….

Is there anything else I can do to reset the system? I see folks talking about the TPMS controller…unplug and plug back in?

The Porsche dealer in IN did all the work and let the PO take car with TPMS light still on saying “will need to drive to get the light to go out….!!!”

Two pints here:
- Yes I get that many systems calculate while in motion (my 991.1 C2S requires 15 MPH)
- Does the system really require 40 miles to learn?

Above shops couldn’t get the system to work and said it needs to be hooked up at the dealer…

Please Advise and Thanks.

LR

Last edited by LRsCarreraS; 08-14-2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add photo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPC / TPMS troubleshooting