Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those driving in cold weather: Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:43 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for those driving in cold weather: Ride Quality?

I am looking for 2005-2007 Carrera S. I would not drive on ice/snow but would drive on cold days (0F to 32F) when roads are clear. Local Porsche indie shop advised me don't test drive when it is that cold since car would have unusually harsh ride and give bad impression. For those who drive on cold days, what is your experience??

I can see where summer performance tires and low profile (30 series) on 19 inch rims would give unusually harsh ride when cold, but would PASM (standard on Carrera S) moderate it?
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

Proper winter tires would help. Personally, I wouldn't drive a car with summer tires in cold weather. The rubber becomes harder and less pliable at these temperatures. I'm guessing that's the dealer's concern.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

I had mine out last night in cold weather, drove DC to Mt Vernon and back and the temp was 10 degrees. Have summer tires and yes it was somewhat harsh and I putted around. I only did it because its snowing today and I needed to get it out before it hit to keep the battery charged up. And no, I can't use a trickle charger in my condo garage, we don't have outlets available. Suncoast has a great deal right now for OEM wheels and winter tires 60 percent off cost. I think I'll order some on Monday.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:31 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my car in cold weather, it's been out in the snow at -25C but on winter tires, the ride quality is different compared to summer tires.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

In colder weather, 20 degrees or below, the suspension also feels stiffer as the springs and shocks are a little less flexible.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

For some reason the 997 feels less stiff in the cold than my prior 987CS. Not sure why, could be tires ... Could be the big fat engine ... Could be less stiff to begin with. Who knows.

Either way, a test drive in the cold may not be too enjoyable as you can't really push it too much and it does tend to creak more.

With regard to the winter wheel package at suncoast, I bought a couple for both cars and thought perhaps suncoast had some extras but they're ordering them from Porsche so it looks to be a Porsche discount. I wonder why no other sites are discounting then as heavily.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm ordering mine on Monday
Old 02-22-2015, 03:09 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2010 is a daily driver.

Rides softer on 18s with winter rubber than on 19s with summer tires.

The trouble in the winter is the short wheel base in combination with the expansion joints in the road.

The roads here are flatter and smoother in the summer.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:13 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

I prefer to test drive cars in colder weather, that's when they really show their colors with creaks and pings and knocking sounds.
Yes any car you drive will be stiffer in winter. Mine is a DD and i've been driving it in single digits temp lately. I do have 18 inch winter tires and its still harsh for my taste (i came from S550).
With summer tires at 32F it will feel like riding on plastic, it will not be comfy or safe. If you still go for a test drive, just take it easy, I would imagine it being almost twice softer in summer when around 80F.

PASM in normal mode will be a tad softer than standard suspension overall, but PASM will still not be enough in my opinion to compensate for 19 inch wheels with summer tires in cold weather.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:16 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summer tires also tend to flat spot in cold weather, so give them a little time to smooth out. If the weather is nice I have no qualms about driving a Porsche on summer tires in the winter, just realize that the car will have lower limits and be careful.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The real problem with ride quality in the winter is that winter tires suck. I usually DD my summer tires all year-round just because I hate driving on winter tires. That siping just kills performance; these cars need nice wide tread blocks to handle right.

The temperature you need for summer tires really depends a lot on the specific tire. I've run Dunlop Star Spec and ZII the last 6 years with no problems. Even on the coldest days with temps into the teens, initial grip has been on-par or better than all-seasons, and grip comes up really quick as you drive them and they warm up. They just can't handle any snow at all.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

The Pirelli Winter Sport 240 Sottozero is a pretty nice winter tire. It's not as "squishy" as some others that I've used.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The Pirelli Winter Sport 240 Sottozero is a pretty nice winter tire. It's not as "squishy" as some others that I've used.
+1
Old 02-22-2015, 11:52 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The real problem with ride quality in the winter is that winter tires suck. I usually DD my summer tires all year-round just because I hate driving on winter tires. That siping just kills performance; these cars need nice wide tread blocks to handle right.

The temperature you need for summer tires really depends a lot on the specific tire. I've run Dunlop Star Spec and ZII the last 6 years with no problems. Even on the coldest days with temps into the teens, initial grip has been on-par or better than all-seasons, and grip comes up really quick as you drive them and they warm up. They just can't handle any snow at all.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

What the indy said is true, but so what?

Any car will be noisier and have a bit harsher ride in cold weather. My Boxster is a noisy old car in real cold weather. Rides like it is on wagon wheels. But in warmer weather it feels like a new car. Quiet. Plush ride. Like night and day. (The Turbo to a much lesser extent.)

Still enjoy driving my cars at any time, in any weather.

If you are in the market now's the time to buy, especially if the weather's cold/bad where you are. Just keep in mind the tires won't grip as well so cool your jets when test driving the car. Give the engine/drivetrain plenty of time to warm up and get some heat in the tires. You still won't be able to push the car real hard, but you don't have to.

Quick Reply: Question for those driving in cold weather: Ride Quality?